Author Topic: Deaf dog owners?  (Read 3575 times)

Offline deafdanelvr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Deaf dog owners?
« on: June 20, 2005, 01:11:50 pm »
Hi! I'm Lisa. Zion's mom. Zion is a deaf great dane. I was just wondering if there are any other deaf dog owners here? I love my deaf dog and think that he is the greatest thing ever.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Deaf dog owners?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 01:47:17 pm »
Hi Lisa and Zion. I am so impressed every time I see a deaf dog, and how well they do and the way they pay attention to you, Id say much more so than the average dog, who can also hear you.

I dont have a dog that is "legally deaf" I do have 4 of them though, with selective hearing hehe. but I guess that doesnt count lol......

Where did you get Zion, did you buy him as a puppy or did you rescue him. And how and when did you find out he is deaf? Have you been training him and if so did you use handsignals?

Give him big slobbers from me

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 01:53:04 pm »
Hi Lisa!  Zion is gorgeous!  I have a stupid question, is he an albino?  We have a Miss Lilly on this board who is an albino saint bernard and I just think they are so cool looking!  I think I heard somewhere that albinoism and deafness go hand in hand?  Hmmm, I can't be trusted with my info, but he is so handsome nonetheless!  I hope to see more pics of your furkids soon!

Offline deafdanelvr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 06:57:20 pm »
I saw an ad in the local paper while me and my husband were living in Lompoc, Ca for great dane puppies. It said that they had white ones, I knew most all white danes had hearing and/or vision problems. For some reason before I saw that ad, I had it in my mind that I wanted a special needs dane. When we got to go see him the people said that we could have him for a $100 deposit with that being returned after he was neutered. I had wanted to teach him hand signals, but all I ever got around to doing was sit and lay. He learned those very quickly and was easy to teach. He "listens" now as well as my other two dogs do!!!  ;) He cried louder as a baby, that is the ony difference I really noticed for a long time. Now, I just notice that he doesn't wake up and bark when we come home, etc. like the other dane. It is so cute, we can just step over him and he never even knows we came home. When he wakes up, it's like "oh-you're back"!! Oh, he isn't really an albino, he has black spots on his nose and on his cute little butt! I am enjoying this site and hope to get to know some of you.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 09:44:29 pm »
Its fun to hear someone refer to a dane butt as "little and cute" hehe  ::) Have you heard with Petsmart, I know the smart we have here, are having training for deaf dogs, and they usually use a lot of handsignals even when training hearing dogs.

He is too cute though. Does he have any other health issues or is his hearing it?

Ohhhh and you can be sure to get to know us, maybe way better and more than you ever wished for, if we got too loud just ask us to sh.. up  ;D

Please post some more pics of your pretty doggies (are all three of them in the car yours)

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline deafdanelvr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 07:37:05 am »
Yes, all 3 dogs in the truck are mine. It's Zeus, Zion, and Reagan. Reagan is the oldest of the 3, she is the boss/princess of the group. She is a Bassett-mystery mix!!