Author Topic: How long?  (Read 1983 times)

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
How long?
« on: May 06, 2006, 09:04:34 am »
So I'm looking at all these pics of Katie and Carter and thinking I should create Paw Prints for them so I went in and deleted Josh's paw print, but then I opened up Thor's to look and started bawling.  Then I opened Piper's and had to go get another tissue.  Just when you think you're doing ok something hits.  So how long does it take before this stops?  I know with Thor I bawled every day for at least a month after he died. Piper and Josh weren't as bad - we'd been watching them for years to know if it was time and they both lived long, full lives while Thor did not.  I guess it is better than it was.  I don't think it has hit me like this in a while.  It still kind of surprised me though.  I guess trying to hit the delete button was just a bit too final.   Not ready to go there yet.  Will have to wait on Katie and Carter's prints 'til I'm not quite so glum. 
Daphne

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: How long?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 11:12:10 am »
I'm so sorry, Daphne.  I'm new to the group, so I'm just getting to read about everyone when I saw your post.  Thor must have been something special.  I had to euthanize my mini schnauzer at 13 years of age, but not due to physical reasons.  She was just not mentally there at all anymore.  No happiness, no life.  It was the hardest decision that I ever had to make.  That has been over three years ago, and I'm sorry to tell you that the sadness continues.  If I see pictures of Baby, think about her, or look at her special box where her cremated remains are, I tear up. :'(  It's not as bad as it used to be, but when you love something dearly, their loss will always be with you.  I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Blair

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 11:47:59 am »
I am so sorry  :( I still have my Diesel's paw print up and I just cant make myself delete it. I think about my Great Dane I lost almost 5 yrs ago, I still cry over him. The pain has gotten less but I still miss him very much. Just remember they will always be in your heart and you will never forget about them. Dont rush yourself, take all the time you need to grieve over your beloved family members.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 12:55:06 pm »
I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I know how rough it can be.  When we lost Kaiser, there was this huge tear between wanting to honor his memory by leaving his PawPrint up, and feeling it tug at my heart strings everytime I saw it.  There just wasn't a good balance.

There are times I think about him, and cry, and it feels like the whole thing just happened yesterday.  But I try to take that as a sign of just how much he touched our lives, and treasure the good times we had with him. 

Take whatever time you need ... you'll know what's right when it happens.  And we're here for you when you need us :)
I just had a great idea!...BPO should have pawprints for dogs no longer with us so when our k9 friends go over to wait for us we can simply switch their pawprints to a new forum just as they moved over to a new place to wait for us!! :)

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 09:38:41 pm »
That's a great idea!  Deleting a paw print is just too much.  Moving them would be a much better option.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 10:02:10 pm »
I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I know how rough it can be.  When we lost Kaiser, there was this huge tear between wanting to honor his memory by leaving his PawPrint up, and feeling it tug at my heart strings everytime I saw it.  There just wasn't a good balance.

There are times I think about him, and cry, and it feels like the whole thing just happened yesterday.  But I try to take that as a sign of just how much he touched our lives, and treasure the good times we had with him. 

Take whatever time you need ... you'll know what's right when it happens.  And we're here for you when you need us :)
I just had a great idea!...BPO should have pawprints for dogs no longer with us so when our k9 friends go over to wait for us we can simply switch their pawprints to a new forum just as they moved over to a new place to wait for us!! :)

I think that's a GREAT idea! That would be a great way to honor our babies that are waiting for us. I love the idea.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this longshadowfarm s, I know how hard it is. You can't put a timeline on pain like that. I still cry over my Kerry years later. I've been missing him a lot lately. I think because Sadie reminds me of him in a lot of ways. You take whatever time you need and remember, they're not gone forever, they're just waiting for you over the bridge.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 10:51:51 pm »
So I'm looking at all these pics of Katie and Carter and thinking I should create Paw Prints for them so I went in and deleted Josh's paw print, but then I opened up Thor's to look and started bawling.  Then I opened Piper's and had to go get another tissue.  Just when you think you're doing ok something hits.  So how long does it take before this stops?  I know with Thor I bawled every day for at least a month after he died. Piper and Josh weren't as bad - we'd been watching them for years to know if it was time and they both lived long, full lives while Thor did not.  I guess it is better than it was.  I don't think it has hit me like this in a while.  It still kind of surprised me though.  I guess trying to hit the delete button was just a bit too final.   Not ready to go there yet.  Will have to wait on Katie and Carter's prints 'til I'm not quite so glum. 
I am so sorry your heart is so full of the grief of loss...Someday you will find that the happy memories fill more of your heart than the grief does & you will smile through your tears at the thought of lives well lived with you & know that you are a better person because your fur friends touched you in a way nobody else could...I wish you a heartful of happy thoughts to carry with you for the rest of your life until you see them again. :-*

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 01:02:17 am »
I'm normally doing ok (or so I thought), I think it was the finality of removing the paw prints that really got me going (again).  That really would be so awesome to be able to have paw prints for those passed on.  I've also seen people do web pages for past loved puppers.  That might be a great way for me to go too.  Thor already has his own page - I'd just need to update it. 

I love Katie and Carter to pieces but they are so different than Pipe and Thor that the relationships are completely different.  Piper was my baby for almost 14 yrs.  Thor was my best friend, even though it was less than 2 yrs.  We just had such a deep bond - his was and still is the hardest loss.  Of course it also doesn't help that we lost so many all so close together (3 in 4 months). 

Thanks everyone!  It is great to be able to come here and say this stuff and not have people say, "get over it, it's just a dog."  They really are each such different personalities that you form different bonds with each one. 
Daphne

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 01:39:28 am »
I p.m.'d Jaime about having Rainbow Bridge Paw Prints & she said this:

Re: BPO Rainbow Bridge Paw Prints?
by jabear Administrator | Personal Message (Offline)

« Sent to: Gypsy Jazmine on: May 07, 2006, 01:34:07 AM »

Gypsy,
I think if anyone wants to create a paw print for a dog who has passed they should simply include it in the normal paw prints area. This is for all dogs on BPO not just for those living. Thanks for your idea though.

~Jaime

So, we can just keep our puppers Paw Prints there if they pass on or we can even create one for dogs who are no longer with us. :)