Author Topic: Into Week 7 with Barkley  (Read 11832 times)

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
Re: Into Week 7 with Barkley
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 01:05:25 pm »
Thank you for the update, its hard to read but its nice to at the same time. I hope to keep getting these Barkley updates and will be thinking about you both. Tim & Kali

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 05:53:41 am »
I'm so sorry to hear that he's not doing so well. They never do lose their love of living as long as they're with us, do they? My Benny didn't. He was so brave. I'll be praying for you, your husband, and Barkley, please know that. Hugs and slobbers from the girls too!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Re: Into Week 7 with Barkley UPDATED
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 04:20:52 am »
Yesterday and last night weren't good ones for Barkley.  His right front paw appears to have swelled and he's favouring it a lot.  It appears to be giving him some pain as he winces when it is touched - just slightly.  Knowing his threshold for pain, that's not good at all.

He had another bm in the basement last night ... mid evening too.  He made it through the night no problem.

I think we are going to have to make the appointment in the next few days.  As selfish as this sounds, I just need to make sure the timing is right.  My husband and I both agreed yesterday that once we have the time set, we're going to cook him up a great big old t-bone steak, and give him all the treats he hasn't been allowed to have over the last few months.  He's not picky - he loves apples and carrots, and grapes.  He's never had a piece of chocolate in his life.  He's going to go out with a full belly and in style .... knowing he is loved!

I'm going to take him in to get that paw checked today.  I'll keep you posted, but I expect you'll hear we've made the decision in a day or two.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 04:40:50 am »
I'm so sorry.  :'(
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 06:40:20 am »
Oh I am so so sorry  :'( I am praying for you right now .
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline berners

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 07:49:25 am »
I'm so sorry to hear that he is getting worse. You have done all you can for him and you should feel very good about that.
Hugs to him, we will be thinking of you.
Jocelyne

Bart - Bernese Mountain Dog
Jessie - Leonberger
Cooper - Leonberger

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 07:57:21 am »
I'm so sorry that you feel like it's almost time. So sad for you. I love your idea of giving him all the treats he was never allowed to have though. It's a great idea. That's the way I'd want to go out too. Full stomach and surrounded by the people who love me. Love and hugs to you from me and my crew. Please keep us posted.  :'(
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 08:02:39 am »
I'm so sorry he hasn't been doing well.  The decision is always hard and you've had 7 good weeks with him which is always something to be happy about.  I'm sorry you have to make the decision and remember we're all here for you.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 08:46:01 am »
I love the idea of giving Barkley every good thing that he loves.  Lucille, our female Newf, went out with chocolate frosting on her muzzle from the HUGE piece of chocolate cake that the vet gave her.  As hard as I was crying, I still think it was the very best way to go....with all those who loved her with her and chocolate on her face.  It's the way I'd want to go too....but with a martini on the side!!!

We are with you no matter what!!!  We all know how hard this time is and you have our complete love and support! :'( :'( :'(

Icerotti

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 05:20:47 pm »
It is such a hard road you are on right now. When we had Katie laid to rest last May. We made her a big ol stake potatoes gravy and the works. That was part of a way for us to say thank you for being such a loyal and loving friend. We will be thinking of you. :)

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 06:58:45 pm »
 :'( I haven't been on in awhile and I'm so sorry to hear about Barkley. My thoughts are with you.
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2006, 07:49:35 pm »
 :'( :'( :'( Give him an extra hug from us.  I told "Rosie" who is at the bridge to get ready to welcome a very special boy.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2006, 06:17:28 am »
Update on our visit to the vet:

He had a temp, and his right leg was indeed swollen.  She said due to the large doze of prednozone that he is on, it could be that he's contracted an infection of some sort and just has nothing with which to fight it.  She said the temp was almost a good sign, although his paw and leg was also cool to the touch, which could be a sign of poor circulation and drainage ... which could result in a cardio event of some sort.  She gave him a shot of antibiotic and we came home for the night.

He didn't move all night.  Wouldn't eat his dog food supper, but lapped up the chicken and rice I cooked for him.  Lay on the basement floor and didn't get up to go to the bathroom .... we had to physically lift him up and make him go out at one point.

My husband and I pretty much made the decision that we would spend today with him, and make the appointment for this evening.  Our vet can't even talk to us about it without crying - I don't know how we're all going to get through this!

He slept through the night (I slept downstairs with him) - no messes in the house.  And then of course this morning....he's frigging rallied!  He ate what was left of yesterday's dog food supper, scarfed down another bowl of chicken and rice, went outside to pee (still hasn't had a bm since yesterday afternoon though) and came upstairs in the computer room to hang out with me.  My husband decided to go into work, and I'm off today to hang out with Barkley.

Darn this is so hard! Maybe he's feeling better because he knows he's going to be out of pain soon ... I don't know.  But now that he's rallied, I almost feel like it's not right to follow through with making the appointment for this evening.

Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2006, 06:39:31 am »
Sniffle... I know that this is a really hard time and a really hard decision for you.. I can understand that torn feeling that you have right now. I know your taking advantage of every moment that you have with him. Were praying for a great day w/ Barkley and help with your decision.
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2006, 06:50:30 am »
Sounds like he is giving you a gift of today with his mommy.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)