Author Topic: Into Week 7 with Barkley  (Read 11746 times)

Offline berners

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Into Week 7 with Barkley
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2006, 08:09:38 am »
  And then of course this morning....he's frigging rallied!  He ate what was left of yesterday's dog food supper, scarfed down another bowl of chicken and rice, went outside to pee (still hasn't had a bm since yesterday afternoon though) and came upstairs in the computer room to hang out with me.  My husband decided to go into work, and I'm off today to hang out with Barkley.

Darn this is so hard! Maybe he's feeling better because he knows he's going to be out of pain soon ... I don't know.  But now that he's rallied, I almost feel like it's not right to follow through with making the appointment for this evening.

I can so relate to what you are going through. 3 years ago to almost the day, we were going through this with a 5 year old Bernese Mountain Dog. We were told he only had a week or so to live. After having a bad day, we had made an appointment for that evening. Once we got to the vet he perked up, grabbed his leash and started tugging me back to the door. There was no way i could go through with it that evening and went back home with him. The next day he was even worse so we made the appointmnet again. He didn't make it to his appointment time and passed away at home. To this day i'm not sure if i did the right thing by bringing him back home, but at the time i felt that is what he wanted me to do.
I know how hard this must be for you and your family right now and wish there was something I could do or say to make it better. You and Barkley are in our thoughts.
Jocelyne

Bart - Bernese Mountain Dog
Jessie - Leonberger
Cooper - Leonberger

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2006, 09:01:12 am »
I can so relate to what you are going through. 3 years ago to almost the day, we were going through this with a 5 year old Bernese Mountain Dog. We were told he only had a week or so to live. After having a bad day, we had made an appointment for that evening. Once we got to the vet he perked up, grabbed his leash and started tugging me back to the door. There was no way i could go through with it that evening and went back home with him. The next day he was even worse so we made the appointmnet again. He didn't make it to his appointment time and passed away at home. To this day i'm not sure if i did the right thing by bringing him back home, but at the time i felt that is what he wanted me to do.
I know how hard this must be for you and your family right now and wish there was something I could do or say to make it better. You and Barkley are in our thoughts.

Of course you did the right thing -

Barley will know that you always did the right thing for him also, he is very lucky to have such a loving family and of course in return you are lucky to have him in your life.  Whatever your decision, just know that Barkley loves you and knows you will do what is right for him. Enjoy your day with him.

Thinking of you often today.

Randy & Harley (and Stoli who is playing at the bridge)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2006, 01:16:18 pm »
Further update:
There will be no visit to the vet tonight for Mr. Barkley!  He has perked right up!  I stopped into the vets today, and described how he was doing.  She believes that he had contracted some sort of infection which the antibiotic is dealing with....so we got two more days worth of that pill and home we came!  I picked up a great deal on chicken today, and am still planning to treat him up the next few days.  He's really doing well though ... and I'm not just fooling myself now.  I can see a marked difference in him, and the swelling has even gone down in his leg.

Thanks again for all the support in the last 24 hours.  I know the day is coming ... but we've staved it off for one more day and it's ok ... he's not suffering! Yay Barkley!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2006, 01:25:36 pm »
Oh , God bless his sweet heart !!!! I'm so happy ya'll have more time together ! My old horse Speedo has good days and bad and sometimes I have a hard time telling if it's time or not , but like Barkley yesterday he perked right up and I thanked God for another day of horsey kisses !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2006, 01:27:24 pm »
That is the BEST news of the day! I am thrilled for you and Barkley!

Offline berners

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2006, 01:44:33 pm »
Great news....very glad to hear! Enjoy your Mother's Day with your special boy.
Jocelyne

Bart - Bernese Mountain Dog
Jessie - Leonberger
Cooper - Leonberger

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2006, 03:05:41 pm »
OOOH YAH!! you go with your bad self barkley!!  he just wants to give his mommy the best mothers day present ever!! 
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2006, 06:06:25 am »
 ;D Great news, hope today is a fun day for you and Barkley.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

k2campbell

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2006, 12:48:02 pm »
YAY Barkley, what great news! ;D

Oh, how awesome, I'm so happy for you!  Enjoy your beautiful time with Barkley.  Try not to think about "that time" (I know - easier said than done), but enjoy your time with him, I'm sure he'll appreciate it  ;) :-*

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2006, 04:55:13 am »
How is Barkley today? I am just catching up & was so happy to hear that he is doing so much better! That is such wonderful news! :)
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2006, 06:25:26 am »
How is Barkley today? I am just catching up & was so happy to hear that he is doing so much better! That is such wonderful news! :)

So last night (Friday), my husband and the two kids took Barkley and Sheba up to the ball field while I was out at a meeting.  I am told, this morning, that he had a good walk up to the field and then became indignant when the usual game of toss and fetch wasn't being played.  Indignant enough that he interrupted the human game of ball by snatching said ball and, although not quite a full gallop, certainly loped away with it.  My husband tells me that a low key game of toss and fetch, with Barkley deciding when it was time to lay down and simply chew on the ball, took place.

He is in great spirits this morning, and had a completely non-eventful overnight.  No mess ... great sleep ... devoured his breakfast (chicken, rice, cottage cheese, canned and kibble dog food mix....yuck) and is presently resting comfortably on the back deck after a love-in session with our 8 year old.

This dog is amazing me.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2006, 10:44:16 am »

So last night (Friday), my husband and the two kids took Barkley and Sheba up to the ball field while I was out at a meeting.  I am told, this morning, that he had a good walk up to the field and then became indignant when the usual game of toss and fetch wasn't being played.  Indignant enough that he interrupted the human game of ball by snatching said ball and, although not quite a full gallop, certainly loped away with it.  My husband tells me that a low key game of toss and fetch, with Barkley deciding when it was time to lay down and simply chew on the ball, took place.

He is in great spirits this morning, and had a completely non-eventful overnight.  No mess ... great sleep ... devoured his breakfast (chicken, rice, cottage cheese, canned and kibble dog food mix....yuck) and is presently resting comfortably on the back deck after a love-in session with our 8 year old.

This dog is amazing me.

Go Barkley!!! That's great! I'm so happy you're getting to have these good times with him. Barkley sounds like Superdog!!! :)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2006, 10:46:10 am »
I'm so happy Barkley is doing better for now!...Right now every day counts!...I am currently going through the same kind of thing with one of my much loved feline babies...I had an appointment yesterday to take him in & see if the vet thought it was time & yesterday morning he was chasing my foster kittens all around the house & up the cat trees!...I canceled the appointment... I wasn't going to ruin his good day by dragging him into the vet...I am doing the same thing you are right now...Taking it one day at a time but it is so very hard...My thoughts & prayers are with you & Barkley...God bless all of you there.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2006, 01:13:21 pm »
Awww, well were cery happy that Barkely is good.. Fumble just listened to your story! Hope you enjoy your weekend with your angel!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2006, 02:52:54 pm »
This dog is amazing me.

....and me too!  He really is an incredible guy!  Please enjoy every second...and keep sharing with us how he's doing!  I LOVE it that he's decided to hang around longer!!!