Author Topic: Just joined, wanted to say hello  (Read 18294 times)

Offline nomathjobs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • My home page
Just joined, wanted to say hello
« on: June 02, 2005, 09:26:26 am »
Hi all -

I just joined BPO as my wife and I are thinking of finding a rescued Saint as a companion for us and a buddy for our GR - then I saw the GR board!!

We adopted Charlie several months ago.  He's about 7 yo, male, neutered, found running along a rural highway.  All attempts to contact his POs failed, so we took him in. 

He definitely fits on the BPO theme - Charlie is 29" at the base of the neck and 118lbs.

Doug

lins_saving_grace

Re: Just joined, wanted to say hello
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 09:28:24 am »
He's precious!  Welcome to our place.  :)  Good to meet you.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 09:37:20 am »
He is one handsome boy!! Welcome here! Thinking of rescuing a Saint-GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! Their are so many of these wonderful dogs that need good homes. Too many people get them and discover that it is true-they get reeeeaaaalllll lllyyyy BIG! Then out they ship them for someone else to care for. If you think that you GR is big (which by the way- he is a HUGE GR), just wait until you rescue a gentle giant Saint!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 10:25:41 am »
I'm so glad you are thinking about rescuing a saint!  I just put in my app to foster a saint here in Washington so I'm waiting to be needed.  I just know that I will end up adopting because I get so attached to the big ole things!  They are such great companions and are so smart (even Angus ;D).  Keep us posted on your new addition.

Nat

Offline nomathjobs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 11:27:19 am »
Thanks to everyone!

Re: size - I grew up with a female rough coat Saint.  She was small-ish at about 125.bs. 

Charlie is our 3rd rescue/pound dog.  We adopted an 8yo Airedale mix (passed after 3 yrs), and 8 yo male Rottie (passed after 2 years) and now Charlie  ,-)

After Packer (the Rottie) died my wife said that she had only 2 requests if we got another dog: first it had to get along with her 14 yo DLH cat (Charlie does) and second she had to be able to get the dog in the car by herself if the dog was sick and couldn't get in w/o assistance.  Well......errr r.......one out of two ain't bad?

Now she's gotten used to Charlie's.....errrr... ..massiveness she's open to the idea of a big dog  ,-)

doug

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 11:29:49 am »
I'm thinking about investing in a doggy lift myself for vet visits they can't walk to the Jeep after.  :)  Grace gets her female surgory in July and I'm not sure how I'll get her home and into the house that afternoon.  My husband will be at work.  Maybe I can borrow someone else's husband if there's one aimlessly walking around the neighborhood.

Offline nomathjobs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • My home page
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 08:47:47 am »
Heather - the idea of the dog ramp is a good one.  I've got a nice, long, 2X8 that I use to load my dirt bike into my truck.  I'm sure Charlie is graceful enough to walk that plank  ,-)

If he can't move and needs to go to the vet when I'm not around, we have friendly neighbors who'll lend a hand.

Thanks,
doug

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 09:07:27 am »
Hi all -

I just joined BPO as my wife and I are thinking of finding a rescued Saint as a companion for us and a buddy for our GR - then I saw the GR board!!

We adopted Charlie several months ago.  He's about 7 yo, male, neutered, found running along a rural highway.  All attempts to contact his POs failed, so we took him in.  

He definitely fits on the BPO theme - Charlie is 29" at the base of the neck and 118lbs.

Doug

Wow, he is really a big guy!  My biggest rottweiler is Greta.  While she is not as tall as Lou, she is what a breeder would term "oversized".  But the most she has weighed was 93 pounds and she is looking a bit chubby then.  Lou is the tallest...he is about as tall as Charlie.  Charlie looks like a great companion!
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 09:34:28 am »
Charlie is beautiful!!!!
"The life given us by nature is short; but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal."
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 08:09:11 pm »
Doug
Welcome to BPO. Charlie is very handsome. I love his colour. I think rescuing a St. is a great idea. If I didnt have 3 small children I would have gotten a rescue St. myself. There was one on a rescue site who I fell in love with. His name was Barnaby.
Good luck and I cant wait to see more pictures of Charlie and some pic of your rescue when you get him.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline nomathjobs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • My home page
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 08:01:49 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Charlie is a big baby and a real affection hound (is that an AKC breed yet?).  It is really hard for me to believe that someone threw him away like a used diaper, but I guess it happens. 

Charlie is a big bundle o'love and likes nothing better than just hanging our or playing a game of fetch the Kong.

doug

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 08:06:42 pm »
So Mr. Teacher, where are you guys from?

Offline nomathjobs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • My home page
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 03:42:46 pm »
So Mr. Teacher, where are you guys from?

Errr.........M r. Teacher?  Me?  if so, than nahhh - I'm a geek for a living.  We live just west of Boise Idaho.

If that was for someone else, sorry ,-(

doug

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2005, 09:35:38 pm »
Hi Doug, real nice to have you here. your baby is such a handsome man, it is sad sad when you find a dog and then you realize that there is noone looking for them.

We are in the same situation here, a week ago we found a black mix breed, in the middle of an intersection, late late at night, she was about to get run over, she was real timid and didnt want us to touch her, but after a long times coaxing, we managed to get her into the car. she is only a young dog like 6 or maybe 7 months old. We have had flyers up, ads in all the papers here, called the shelters, the vets and done everything we can think of, but still no luck, I still hope that somone will call and say it is their lost dog and how happy they are to find her, but hope is starting to fade a little.

Some people just shouldnt get dogs. Good on you for rescuing this beautiful boy. Please post more pics

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline nomathjobs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • My home page
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 03:27:05 pm »
Hi Doug, real nice to have you here. your baby is such a handsome man, it is sad sad when you find a dog and then you realize that there is noone looking for them.

We are in the same situation here, a week ago we found a black mix breed, in the middle of an intersection, late late at night, she was about to get run over, she was real timid and didnt want us to touch her, but after a long times coaxing, we managed to get her into the car. she is only a young dog like 6 or maybe 7 months old. We have had flyers up, ads in all the papers here, called the shelters, the vets and done everything we can think of, but still no luck, I still hope that somone will call and say it is their lost dog and how happy they are to find her, but hope is starting to fade a little.

Some people just shouldnt get dogs. Good on you for rescuing this beautiful boy. Please post more pics

Marit

Thanks, Marit!  Good luck finding that pup's owners - the folks that found Charlie sure tried their best for several weeks.  They would have kept him, but they already had 3 (another GR, a black lab, and a basset).  What I don't get is the attitude of the guy whose name was on the tags.  Personally I don't think he "sold" Charlie at all, I think he dumped him.

I'll add a few pics.  The lovely cat w/antlers is "Ricky" our 7+ yo orange tabby.  We found him at a local laundromat, most likely dumped, definitely malnourished.

doug