Author Topic: 7 year old Lab  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Petset

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
7 year old Lab
« on: May 10, 2006, 08:28:59 pm »
I know labs aren't technically huge dogs...but Trotter is huge within my heart.

I've noticed that his mobility has changed...it seems as if his back legs seem stiff to me...in other words, he doesn't run with the same insane Lab gallop...

Is he just getting older...or do you think I need to start looking into that notorious Lab hip dysplasia thing?

Icerotti

Re: 7 year old Lab
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 08:37:29 pm »
My friend has a choclate lab who just turned 8 years old. I noticed he is really slowing up. He is very arthritic. He walks with stiff back legs. He too in his younger days had the insane lab gallop ::)lol

We have had a puppy with HD. He use to cry in pain if he moved the wrong way, or getting up he would yelp sometimes. Does he seem to have pain?

If you are really concerned it may be worth a trip to the vets to get xrays--then you would know if it is HD.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 08:38:18 pm by Icerotti »

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 11:15:08 pm »
At that age, it may just be arthritis.  I had a mini schnauzer who quit jumping and would get up really slow.  I took her to the vet and we started Rimadyl.  It worked wonders!!  Here's a link with some info if you are not familiar with it.
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/drimdyl.html
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline Petset

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 07:18:38 am »
He's also had a couple of "seisures", it's almost as if it's a charlie horse...very disturbing to watch...I'm going to keep an eye on him for a little bit and then I'll have to take him in...but it's just such a traumatic day when we go to the vet..he is petrified!