Author Topic: Snake pics...  (Read 2959 times)

cricket36580

Snake pics...
« on: May 12, 2006, 05:59:05 pm »
This is what greeted me this afternoon...  I have about 90 chicks right now and I found him in one of the brooder pens.  We're going to release him up the road somewhere since it's a rat snake.  At first I absolutely paniced thinking it was poisonous and of course no one was home...AGAIN.  Anyway, after I made the hysteria calls to hubby and everyone else, I realized what it was so...I just mnoved the other babies to another pen and let him have his go.  I thought it was facinating to watch him eat this chick that should have choked him.

He's crushing it

Still crushing and trying to get a position

Getting there

Going down

And down

I know this is a  little morbid but I really did think it facinating.

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
Re: Snake pics...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 06:53:12 pm »
I am squirming in my chair  :-X  But hey...we all have to eat right? lol
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 06:59:31 pm »
Going off topic for a moment...Julie, that pic of Gweck on your avatar is priceless. I love it!  :D
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 08:56:28 pm »
Sorry to those who are faint hearted.  I figured a title of "snake pics" would give it away... 

For some reason it doesn't bother me to kill to eat.  I slaughter my own meat 99% of the time.  However, killing wild critters really makes me cry.  I just couldn't kill it.  If he'd have been poisonous, he'd been goners because of the kids.  But then, if he'd have been poisonous, I probably would have fainted right there!!  I was borderline hysterical when I first saw him.  And to think ds had JUST went out and fed.  He had to have stepped almost on that snake and never saw it.  I think we're going to have to change our routine so the kids aren't feeding when no one is home.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 09:40:59 pm »
Uggg, snakes are nasty. Hate em.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 11:31:46 am »
Morbid - yes
Fascinating - yes

I'm in a city and am so totally removed from the "real world."  Thanks for keeping me in touch-

P.S.  Very smart keeping him busy with what was already a lost cause while you saved everyone else.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 07:10:30 pm »
I thought the pics were fascinating.  I have no problem at all seeing this kind of stuff.  Never have.  If things didn't kill each other, we would be over run with rabbits, squirrels, deer, etc.  I guess I'm desensitized to it having spent alot of time on my grandparent's farm where you see the circle of life on a regular basis.

When i worked at the zoo back home, I worked in the reptile house and we fed dead (dethawed mice/rats/pinkies) to the snakes.  I always loved watching them eat.  It's very interesting how far they can actually open their mouths.  And they only eat like once a month!

cricket36580

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 08:01:38 pm »
You do get a lot of the "circle of life" on a farm, regardless of how small or large it is.  Sometimes it really sucks, other times facinating, and even morbid.  All of it keeps me grounded and sane.  I couldn't imagine going back to live in the city now.  I hyperventilate just thinking about all of those people breathing my air...

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 10:51:48 am »
I had a big python when I lived in Florida, we fed him a big rabbit (retired breeders from a meat farm) once a week or so. Every now and then we'd have someone who was interested enough to come watch the snake eat, it was kind of rewarding to help educate people.  I had carnivorous lizards, too- watching a snake eat is like ballet, watching a lizard is more like a prize fight. 
Great pics!

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 10:59:00 am »
so aparently, i am the only one who HATES snakes lol.  i would have take the opportunity to cut the suckers head off while the chick was in its mouth.  sorry.  then again, truth be truth, i would have been screaming and running too hard to cut off its head.  i can dream though.

don't worry though, my whole family isn't like this...my older sister tries to catch snakes whenever she can. 

i just hate them!
NICKI