Author Topic: The weekend started early!  (Read 5466 times)

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
The weekend started early!
« on: May 13, 2006, 04:10:16 am »
Hi Friends,

Hovis and I are back from our long walkies and we've had a super time. On Wednesday, Dad was looking at the weather forecast. He said a naughty word and then told us we were going long walkies on Thursday because it was going to rain on Saturday. The 2 legs keep worrying about rain. We don't mind sharing a tent with him even if he is wet!

Thursday morning came and I knew something was different, Dad was filling the wagon up before we set off, even Hovis was happy, because she got the panniers to carry. We set off for the Supermarket as usual and I was pleased to see that Dad remembered to get the Pork Pie and some sausages, it would be worth the sitting and big brown eyes later!

We set off through Settle and up the big hill, We kept having to stop for dad, he was complaining about the rucksack and having to help pull my cart, it was uphill for about a mile so we stopped for water and a cup of tea at the top.

After the climb it was plain sailing till Dinner time along a nice wide track, I was a good girl and walked along the track, but Hovis kept playing and running around so dad put the panniers on the cart.

We stopped for dinner in the middle of the moor, with views of  the Three peaks in the distance. Dad had a lie down so Hovis and I played for a bit till we met some Mountain Bikers who stopped for cuddles and strokes. After, Hovis was being silly and wanted to pull the cart so it took a while to get hitched up. We were soon off again, after a mile and a half Dad said naughty words when he
realised the leads had got left behind where we had dinner.
We enjoyed it though, as I got to play in the streams and pools
when we left the wagon and walked back for the leads.
Back with the wagon it was a steady descent down to Malham Moor. at the top of one rise we first saw Malham Tarn away in the distance. Dad said we were sleeping there. It was just after this I had my accident, It wasn't my fault, the wagon wasn't watching where it was going and dropped two wheels in a rut, before I knew it both the wagon and I were playing dead with 4 wheels and four paws in the air. The indignity of it all and all Dad did was laugh and take pictures.

Camp Newfie was set up at Water sinks on Malham Moor, where, in the best traditions of British exploration, we set up camp and had a cup of tea. Whilst Hovis and I protected the camp from the natives, Dad was cheating, Mum turned up in the Landrover with bottles of cold beer. we were allowed a paddle though whilst Dad cooked Tea. We enjoyed Dads sausages.

That night we slept out under the stars, I curled up under the awning whilst Hovis lay beside dad, on the tent! Dad says that next time Hovis will have to be staked out further away as neither he or the tent will take much more. In the morning as dad unzipped the tent door I put my head in and gave him a good wash, that soon woke him up!

Breakfast done, we set off once more, Dad said I was a very good girl, as I pulled the wagon all by myself and we didn't stop until we'd completed the main climb of the day. We stopped for water, tea and doggy treats in the shade of a dry stone wall. You could see all the way back to Malham Tarn. Hovis and I played for a while then mugged another mountain biker for kisses and cuddles. We followed the trail back down to Attermire and then on through the lanes between the fields and the coaching road back into Settle and home. Dad says we can do it again soon.

Love,

Bell and Hovis

Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: The weekend started early!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 05:58:27 am »
That is awesome, awesome, awesome! What a great story, and the pictures, wow! Gotta love the cart & pup upside down picture.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 06:20:43 am »
What an amazing story!!! And that scenery! Holy cow! That Bell is an incredible story teller.  Actually brought a tear to my eye ... the majesty of the two beauties and the countryside.  Thanks for starting my Saturday off so nicely!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 07:46:11 am »
Beautiful scenery, that sounds like so much fun. I love the pictures. Poor upside down puppy :D
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 07:47:09 am »
You really need to write a book on them....you're so good at it!  It looks like the girls had a great time, except for Bell's accident  ;D.  That picture is too funny...I mean tragic poor Bell!!!
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 07:51:36 am »
Just incredeble. Beautiful scenery, dogs and a sense of timelessness and peace. You are truely blessed.
Stella

Offline Terri P

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 10:12:17 am »
Wonderful photos and accompanying story. Funny Bell - she doesn't look too stressed; I bet she was thinking "actually, this feels quite good!"  ;D

Kiahpyr

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 11:31:32 am »
Looks like you all had a wonderful time. The pictures are beautiful!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 07:01:09 pm »
I have only four words to comment on your pictures....

I AM  SO  JEALOUS!!!

:) :) :) :)

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 07:52:07 pm »
Beautiful pictures!  I too enjoyed the pic of your pupper upside down with the cart!  Very cute!  Keep posting those pics.

Anita & the 3 Newfies from NJ

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 09:23:17 pm »
Loved the pictures and story. I am taking a trip to London and Dublin in June...hope the scenery looks just as nice!

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 08:14:11 am »
Bell and Hovis,

It sure sounds like y'all had an awesome time taking your dad camping! I loved hearing ALL about your trip and LOVED the amazing photos of your journey (esp. the upside down newfie/wagon shot....lol)! Thanks for sharing your story/pics!
I am sooooooo envious - perhaps next time, you can plop me in the wagon and take me with you! :)

jealous in Atlanta,
Rachel

Carey

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 08:34:22 pm »
That was so cute and the pictures are wonderful!!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 02:39:58 pm »
I always love your captions.  The picture with the toppled over cart is precious!  What sweet puppies!  How much is a site at Camp Newfie?  Do you take reservations?