Author Topic: Is that mean?  (Read 8769 times)

Blair

Is that mean?
« on: May 14, 2006, 08:29:35 pm »
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 11:39:10 am by Blair »

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Re: Is that mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 08:35:12 pm »
With my old dog, Rufus, he basically had the run of all the furniture in the house and allowed me space on couches, beds, etc ... sometimes  ;D

When I got new living room furniture, I decided I wanted to keep it cleaner and so didn't allow him on it.  He was still allowed on the old couch, which got moved to the basement.  He caught on really quickly and didn't seem too put out by it.

Good luck!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 08:48:15 pm »
We had the rule of no dogs on the couch when we got our sectional about 2 yrs ago. It lasted a couple months until my husband went out of state for the first time and I slept on the couch...well since the dogs slept with me they slept on the couch...well they've been allowed on ever since. But when we started the rule...the dogs adapted pretty well to it.
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 08:50:37 pm »
You know, I never thought I'd say it, but I myself am pretty dern close to banning the dogs from the couch. They abused their rights and they ate the couch. Yep. It is completely destroyed. :( Granted, it was a thrift-store couch and it didn't cost more than $60, and lasted over a year, but... a hole in every cushion and stuffing all over the living room at least once a day... I don't think so!!!

So we are buying a new couch and I am thinking... no dogs allowed. They will be bummed, but that will be a perfect time to buy cushy cozy new beds for them. ;D I read that a great way of keeping dogs from wanting to be on the couch is to use a carpet protector turned upside down. You know, those clear plastic sheets with the little spikes sticking out one side? Put that sucker on the couch and see if they don't choose the doggie beds instead!! ;) :D

Sorry if I sound cynical but I am mad at my furkids at the moment!  :D Not too mad, it's my fault for leaving them unattended.  ::)

So if you are mean, I am even meaner! :D ;)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 11:19:23 pm »
Since mine have never been allowed on the couches, I can't say really one way or another.  But I don't think it is mean.  Keiko hair is hard to get out of any kind of cloth material.  But I never realized how hard short hair is to get out of anything, until I got Gunther.  He now has his own designated sheets that go on the spare bed when no one is visiting.  The hair just won't come out!!  God forbid if he was on the couches.  I would be covered in hair from head to toe, instead of just shoulders to ankles.  :D  ;D

doggylover

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 11:53:57 pm »
I understand why you would allow the little dog on the couches, but I really think that is a recipe for disaster.  Dogs don't see it the same way we do.  If you let the little dog on the sofa, and not the others, they will be confused and feel like the little dog has new seniority over them.  We don't allow our dog on any human furniture because it is one way we let him know that he isn't equal to us, but I would NEVER allow one animal to have such an important privalege and not allow it for the others.  If they used to all be allowed on the sofa, then the little dog didn't have a 'safe' place then (because they were all allowed), so the little dog shouldn't need that now, any more than s/he needed it then. 
This is obviously just my opinion, but I feel strongly that either all of them should be allowed, or none of them. 
 ;D

doggylover

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 12:16:18 am »

I cant be too bad of a dog owner as I have 4 very well behaved dogs  :)
You specifically asked for opinions as to whether this was a bad idea the post was even titled, 'is it mean'.  I never said you were a bad owner, I never meant to imply or hint that I thought that.  I have read many of your posts and have a lot of respect for you, and I think you are a neat person and a wonderful furmom.  I do think it is a bad idea to have one dog allowed on a sofa and not another.  That is my opinion, not based on personal feelings about you as an owner, based on knowing my dog and how badly he would respond to that kind of thing.
It actually never entered my mind that you would favor Smudge over the others in general, this just seemed like a situation where the dogs would feel that way.   
I am genuinely sorry that I offended you, I didn't intend to at all. 
 ;)

doggylover

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 12:34:30 am »
It is my job, being Smudge's owner, to protect him from getting hurt. And when Zeus and Grey get rough he has no where to go but on the couch since he can no longer go under the couch. Im not offended just thought I needed to explain to why Smdge is allowed on the couch. I couldnt live with myself if any of my big guys hurt Smudge, as I wouldnt blame them but blame myself for not protecting him as I should being his owner. Smudge would rather be with the other dogs then on the couch by him self. So far he only goes up there when things get rough. Here is a picture I just took, now Smudge could be sleeping on the nice new comfortable sofa, but instead he is sleeping on the floor with the others.
In your initial post, I wasn't aware that Smudge had previously had a hidey place under the sofa and that was now gone.  I have to say I laughed really hard when I saw that picture of all of them sprawled out on the floor.  They look very very happy and um....spoiled (my dog is spoiled ROTTEN so I really hope you read that as the compliment it was!)  All of them with their beds right in the middle of the room, its obvious that you love, protect, and care for all your dogs. 
My dog is just SO aware of where he is in relation to everything else.  When we dogsit, he gets an attitude if the other dog is allowed to do ANYTHING that he doesn't get to do.  I think he would have a baby if someone else was allowed on the furniture and he wasn't. 
I agree that Smudge is vulnerable to getting hurt accidentally by the other dogs, they are so much bigger than him.   

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 07:54:45 am »
I agree that allowing Smudge on the furniture while others are not allowed does, in a canine world, give him privelage over the others.  Now, whether this causes problems in the future, I don't know, I am not familiar with the pack order in your home.

I have a huge leather sectional bought specifically to fit the dogs and humans all together.  Of course I LOVE to snuggle with my boys.  The leather has held up beautifully, and is very easy to keep clean.

-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 08:38:52 am »
Harley is only allowed on the couch when my husband isn't home.  We have a black leather couch and it cleans up well.  It is starting to show wear at the seams (not Harley's fault) and I am worried about getting a new couch and whether I will allow Harley on it, but as so many have said I love having my boy sitting next to me.

But as far as mean mothers go I think I hold the title Poor Harley isn't allowed upstairs where we all sleep I think it is the meanest thing but DH made the rule - it cuts down on the dog hair.  Also, Harley was quite a rambunctious puppy and killed quite a few beanie babies that he took from my daughters room so he was put on the main floor of the house.  He handles it OK but I feel bad for him.  I actually don't spend much time upstairs because I hate leaving him.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 09:38:36 am »
Couple of thoughts: 

In dog psychology, whoever's sitting highest is the alpha.  So, even if a chihuahua is climing to the back of the sofa, he's technically "above" the other dogs.

It's not mean to give dogs limits (or kids, or people in general for that matter).  I think dogs (or kids, or people in general) are happy as long as the rules are consistent.

A cardboard box strategically located (in lieu of a well-built crate) would work as a hiding place for a small dog in a family of giants.

Sarah

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 10:20:07 am »
I don't think it's mean at all....Dogs like children need rules & bounderies...I t makes them feel safe & secure...In saying that...lol...M y dogs are allowed on the couch in their room only...I furnish that room in early garage sale...lol...s o nothing expensive is ruined...You've all seen how dirty Pippin likes to get & what a delacacy Rosie thinks recliners are! :D ...I wouldn't allow Smudge on the couch if the other dogs aren't though...That could cause problems...Giv e him a nice safe place where the bigger dogs can't fit if that's possible. :)

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 01:58:27 pm »
Hello, In my household I have had it where only one dog was allowed on the couch and the other wasn't. Never had any problems. Just have to make sure that you are extremely consistent. The first 2 weeks might be tough, but after they know that you are not going cave in you should be fine.
BTW the dog that was allowed on the couch was getting up there in age and had earned his couch rights. BUT he still had to respect the rules ( only sleep in one spot that had a blanket, and he had to get off when I told him)
LA & Gang

doggylover

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 04:26:15 pm »
Hello, In my household I have had it where only one dog was allowed on the couch and the other wasn't. Never had any problems. Just have to make sure that you are extremely consistent. The first 2 weeks might be tough, but after they know that you are not going cave in you should be fine.
I have really strong opinions on this, based on everything I've learned about how dogs see pack status.  I just think its unfair to the do who isn't allowed the same privalege.  I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree!!!
 :)

doggylover

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 04:27:55 pm »

I have really strong opinions on this, based on everything I've learned about how dogs see pack status.  I just think its unfair to the do who isn't allowed the same privalege.  I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree!!!
 :)
...to the dog*