Author Topic: Bad news - Jack needs surgery  (Read 10825 times)

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
Bad news - Jack needs surgery
« on: September 12, 2007, 12:00:03 am »
Well we just came from meeting with the orthopedic surgeon and they took several xrays and two vets examined him and determined that he does have elbow dysplasia, specifically FCP, and needs bilateral arhtroscopic surgery to remove the fragmented bone and "clean up" the joints.  So they had availability tomorrow morning and we scheduled him.  They said the sooner the better, as to prevent further secondary damage and in hopes of the best possible prognosis.  I guess he'll always have some arthritis in his elbows and we'll need to manage that throughout his life, make sure he stays on the thin side, and give him join supplements, etc, and make sure he gets plenty of controlled exercise and no "high impact" exercise.  I'm sure it could be much worse, but I'm still feeling a bit down about it right now.  Not to mention about the roughly $3000 that the surgery will cost tomorrow, in addition to the $400 I just spent on the visit and xrays today. Well at least we know what it is now and hopefully he'll feel at least somewhat improved after the surgery.  The problem is that even a "successful" surgery for this condition doesn't gurantee that all the symptoms will go away 100%.  The vet (and sites I've read since getting home) say that there may still be stiffness, etc, but that the pain should be much improved and mobility should be improved as well in about 75% of cases where surgery is performed around this age (he's 8 months).

So I guess that's all I know for now... he'll be staying overnight at the vet tomorrow and we can pick him up on Friday.  Then it's limited, controlled exercise for a couple of weeks while he's healing.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Bad news - Jack needs surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 12:11:56 am »
Fingers and paws crossed for a good day tomorrow!! He'll be good to go soon though!
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 12:15:55 am »
Sending positive thoughts for a successful surgery and quick recovery.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 12:57:27 am »
Good luck in surgery tomorrow Jack!  Healthy healing vibes from Naja, Moo, and I.
 :-* :-* :-*
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 01:31:13 am »
I'm really sorry to hear this. I was really counting on it being Pano for him. I would be incredibly down about that too. I was just giving hubby his update and he said he doesn't know what we would do if that was Yukon's diagnosis, we don't have that kind of money laying around at all! I don't even want to think about it. Do they need the whole 3k up front? I sure hope he does well tomorrow, I'm sure he will. I will be thinking about you both. Hugs and kisses to Jack. :-* Did they need to sedate for the x-rays? Like you said, it's good at least you got a diagnosis. :-\

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 01:46:54 am »
WIshing Jack a speedy recovery. Please keep us updated.

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 01:52:50 am »
I'm really sorry to hear this. I was really counting on it being Pano for him. I would be incredibly down about that too. I was just giving hubby his update and he said he doesn't know what we would do if that was Yukon's diagnosis, we don't have that kind of money laying around at all! I don't even want to think about it. Do they need the whole 3k up front? I sure hope he does well tomorrow, I'm sure he will. I will be thinking about you both. Hugs and kisses to Jack. :-* Did they need to sedate for the x-rays? Like you said, it's good at least you got a diagnosis. :-\

Thanks for the support.  They tried the xrays without sedation but one position was too tricky for him to hold so they ended up giving him a mild sedative.  He was a little wobbly on the way home and is now very sleepy.  As for the money.  They require a $500 deposit BEFORE the surgery and then you have to pay the balance before they release your pet to you.  Luckily we have the money - we just won't be going on vacation this year or next year and birthday/christmas/anniversary presents will be forgone this year.

I'll try to work some overtime at my job and my hubby may be able to pick up some freelance work to try and replenish our savings from this BIG dent.  The things we do for our pets!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 04:50:21 am »
Good luck tomorrow! Hopefully the surgery will help a lot and Jack will get back to normal. Wishing him a super speedy recovery  :-* :-* :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 05:48:15 am »
All Good Luck and Angels on the way.I'm sure he will come out just fine and you and hubby will be the wreaks.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 01:10:03 pm »
ooh poor Jack!  and poor you!  Everything will be fine!  I always say, The reason God gave us our dogs is because he knew that we would be there to take care of them no matter what!  We love our dogs so much and come rain or come shine we are there! 
Fumble sends drooly kisses to you and to jack!  Good luck!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 04:09:38 pm »
Good luck Jack. I'm sure he'll pull through this like a champ. Thank god you had the savings for this. I don't know what I would do if it happened to one of mine I would probably go get a loan or something. Anywho, please keep us up to date on his surgery and progress. Kisses and good healing vibes form the opyr gang and me too.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 04:42:30 pm »
I've been out of town for a couple days and I come back to this! I have been wondering what has been going on with poor Jack. I'm glad they at least found the problem. I'm sorry you and your family (including Jack) have to go through this :(! It's expensive....a nd scary....but you know when you have Jack back it'll all be worth it! Especially when you can tell he's feeling better. Best of luck to you and Jack!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 04:57:07 pm »
We're thinking good thoughts for Jack today. The upside is that a little bit of difficulty now will result in a better quality of life later on as he ages. Surgery while they're young is probably better in terms of their ability to recover and return to normal, than when they get older.

We're thinking of you Jack!
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
Jack's Out of Surgery!
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 10:31:39 pm »
Well the vet just called to say that Jack was out of surgery and that he did well. The weird thing is that upon doing both elbows he discovered that the right one was significantly "worse" than the left one, even though he's never shown any signs of limping on the right side and he's always limped on his left.

He said he did xrays of his left shoulder and wrist while he was under just to make sure there wasn't something else going on in the left leg since that's the one he's had the limping issue on and that it was all clear.  He even said that the FCP was VERY mild on the left side, so much in fact that he was surprised it would cause him to limp like he was.

So I guess it's anyone's guess as to why the limp was like that.  I just hope that he's taken care of whatever the cause was.  All I need is to pay over $3000 for surgery and have him come out of it with an unexplained limp!  My hubby would NOT be too happy about that one!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 10:55:39 pm »
Oh My!  At least they found it and Jack can get on the road to recovery.