Author Topic: more stupid kids. so sad  (Read 5576 times)

nickerbokker

more stupid kids. so sad
« on: October 03, 2005, 07:58:37 am »
yes, if you can believe it, yet another child walked right up to me today. 

i admit it was my fault, because i don't have eyes in the back of my head, and i was half asleep so if there were footsteps i didn't hear them......

im standing outside with cody and angus (i ALWAYS walk the apart, but yesterday we walked cody and bear and angus at the same time and angus seemed more calm, and it was 6 in the morning so i said what the hey), and they are both takin a pee...all three of us are looking in one directing, and all the sudden i see this little kid, problably 8-10, walk right past my right side toward the dogs....and i was like NO...THIS ONES MEAN...and he kept walking and walked right up to them before i could act (im talking 1/2 a second here)...and cody got all excited, but angus got freaked and pissed and started growling his mean growl/snarl...but cody totally got in the middle and growled back at angus...it was really crazy...and i was pissed at the kid.  so he looked at me, then at his MOM WHO WAS LIKE 10 FEET BEHIND ME WHO I DIDN'T KNOW WAS THERE, and she said sorry and took his hand and walked him away. 

CUMMON!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: more stupid kids. so sad
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 08:20:28 am »
Well, stupid kid, but at least his mom said sorry.   :-\

BabsT

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 08:23:52 am »
I know the feeling...it is hard telling people you cant pet the dog but hey, you gutta do what you gutta do...People ask me why Zero doesnt like strange people...I respond with it is a breed trait...I also say

Zero knows how to tolerate and behave nicely in public the problem is people dont know how to properly behave around him

Blair

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 09:00:23 am »
I know the feeling...it is hard telling people you cant pet the dog but hey, you gutta do what you gutta do...People ask me why Zero doesnt like strange people...I respond with it is a breed trait...I also say

Zero knows how to tolerate and behave nicely in public the problem is people dont know how to properly behave around him

Good comment  ;)

Im shocked on how many kids have no manners or anything when it comes to strange dogs. My kids arent alound to touch any dog unless the ask the owner first. To me its just commen sense to teach that to your kids
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 09:01:21 am by Blair »

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 09:09:33 am »
Because of Samson's issues (that are worked through as much as they will ever be now ;D) I learned to put up a hand & yell "STOP" when someone would approach him...Of coarse if you don't see it coming you can't do this but if you are able to, try it...it works like a charm!

nickerbokker

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 10:12:47 am »
i have been....and it's effective..... .i try to be a little nicer with kids, but this one this morning i didn't see until he was about 2 feet from the dogs.....

Anakalia

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 10:31:36 am »
OH MY!!  It sounds like you did the right thing, but I'm not sure why that kid thought it was ok to walk up BEHIND the dogs.  Apparently he's not very dog savvy. ::)

Andi

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 11:56:15 am »
I keep trying to remember, in that situation, that the kid is not necessarily stupid but GUARANTEED that the parent is!  SHEESH!!  Is it that hard to teach a child how to approach a dog safely?  With the Newfs, I don't have to worry as much, but when I had Teddy the Akita, it was AWFUL!  He's just as soon go for the jugular as look at you.  I gave up and just kept him confined.  TOOO scary!  Good job Nikker! 

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 12:08:17 pm »
Im glad no one got hurt...That Mom should have been right there and not allowing it.  I always taught my kids to ask before you pet.  Willow is good with everyone but the mojos would just as soon eat your face off.  I have tons of little little kids come running over to the mojos and try to pet them with their parents right there saying, "oh look at the cute puppies!!!  pet the cute puppies!"  I am always tring to pull them behind me and out of the way..It is just crazy

Anakalia

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 12:09:41 pm »
I do think parents should talk to their children about how to approach a dog.  I think there would be a lot less dog bites with children involved.  I approached my daughters school about taking my dog Koby to the school and talking to the kids about how dogs have thier own body language and how to read it, just to give the kids a basic lesson on how to be careful around dogs they don't know, and the school didn't want to have anything to do with my suggestion!  Needless to say I was very upset, and they also informed me Koby can not be anywhere near the school!  One of the moms walks her Chow to school everyday to pick up her kids though.  Makes me soooo mad! >:(

Andi

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 08:42:27 pm »
That makes me mad and I don't even live there.  >:(
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

BabsT

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 08:47:48 pm »
I take both dogs over to my sons school for socilization.. .I show the kids the proper way to pet a dog and ways that make a dog uneasy so they dont do it to strange dogs

I also tell them dogs dont like to be hugged because it is threatening to them....Zero and Misha both do fine as long as they arent rushed...and even then Zero will jsut back up and Misha just soaks it up LOL

You would be amazed how many paretns say OMG i didnt know that...I also tell them that 99% of the time I do not allow my son to pet strange dogs even if the owners say it is ok...and that I rather be safe than sorry

I dont know why people have the need to touch other peopls animals..it is kind of like when you are pregnant...ple ase dont touch my belly unless u are family LOL

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 09:18:15 pm »
I agree that kids should be tought not to go up to strange dogs. I am having a hard time getting my 3 year old to stay away but I keep a close eye on her. I guess she thinks all dogs are like Judge. I havent had much trouble with people not asking to pet Judge.
I dont take the owners word for the dog being OK with kids eather. I have a scar on my face that took 36 stiches from a dog whos owner said it was OK to pet him. Any dog can bite.
BABS
I have a problem that would annoy the heck out of you.  :-[ I have trouble resisting a pregnant belly. :-\ I do refrain most times though and ALWAYS ask the owner it its OK to touch. HEEHEE
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 09:25:42 pm »
Fortunatly I have  only had this problem once. I'd guess that WAY more than half of the people in Maine have dogs, so most kids around here know better than to do that. They will come a safe distance from my dogs and ASK if it's ok to touch them, or come right out and ask if the dog is friendly. I'm very impressed.  I have the problem more with adults who try to walk right up to them. My dogs are not aggressive but it still makes me mad. It's not a smart thing to do, and besides I wouldn't want someone walking up to my son and say "he's cute, I'm going to give him a hug" Or "wow, nice butt lady, I'm going to grab it"  My dogs are my babies and I wish people didn't think it was ok to just start fondeling them without asking!

Vicki

GR8DAME

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 09:43:28 pm »
Merlin is about as sweet as can be, and he still has off days with strange kids, especially ones that are not dog savvy.
I had him out on a training walk, and this little girl, about seven,came running toward him. She was even holding her Mom's hand, so obviously the responsible adult thought it was a great idea.
Just as she got within about three feet and I was stepping in to block her, Merlin let go with one of those from the toes snot slinging sneezes. The little girl literally wet herself, and the mother yanked her back so hard that she almost took her arm out of the socket. But not before the tyke was covered in slimey dane snot and atomic drool.
The mother had the nerve to glare at me, and I told her to please remove her child and leave me and my dog alone. He is my dog and not a public amusement, although I was plenty amused that day.
Stella