Author Topic: Bad news tonight...Rosie.  (Read 26543 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Bad news tonight...Rosie.
« on: June 11, 2006, 02:51:21 am »
Tonight Rosie bit my 6 yr. old niece to the tune of 4 stitches in her head...It was totally unprovoked...I've heard of dogs who have "turned" & tonight I saw it...sadly...R osie has 14 days as accordance to the law before I can do anything...The local authrorities know me well enough that they left her with me instead of taking her to quarantine...T onight we failed...Both Rosie & I...My sweet girl has exausted her run I fear...I am choking on my feelings...I am sick...Rosie lies next to me smiling in trust as always...I fear I've failed her...I just don't know how exactly...I will never rescue any dog again...God have pity on both of us.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Bad news tonight...Rosie.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 05:53:16 am »
 :'( :'( I know how this must be killing you. Is there anything we can do for you?  Please give me a call if you just need to talk about it.  Sending you love and hugs.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 06:27:31 am »
Oh hun, I am so sorry.  :'( :'( :'( :'( Sometimes after every other option, you have no choice, and that is the hardest of all. If there is anything I can do, or you just need to talk, please let me know.
Stella

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 08:53:42 am »
I'm so sorry. If you need someone just to listen, let me know. Take care.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 10:01:45 am »
Thanks guys...I am just numb still...Took all 3 dogs to bed with me last night because we had overnight company & I no longer trust Rosie...Someti me during the night Rosie climbed in bed with me & I rolled over this morning startling her & she growled at me...I don't know if her behaivor has changed upbruptly or if I am just seeing her in a different light now but I do not trust her at all...I will take her in to have a health checkup this week to make sure she isn't sick but I do not think that's the case...I am going to try & get some rest...I slept 3 hours last night & I am a wreck.

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 10:03:23 am »
Chelle,

Got your email this am. So sorry.. I'll call you tomorrow. I know this is killing you.

Deena

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 10:51:12 am »
This is tragic on so many different levels I don't even know what to say.  Just know that people who don't even know you are feeling for you, your dog, and your family.

doggylover

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 12:11:04 pm »
Gypsy you are sooooo wrong in your post.  You did NOT fail yourself or Rosie.  You did the very best by Rosie, gave her the most wonderful chance she could have in this life.  Sometimes there is so much damage that the right thing to do feels like a failure but it isn't.  It is never a failure to love another spirit and take a chance.  It is never a failure to open your home and show love and compassion.  No matter what the outcome here, you must know that you did right by Rosie.  She isn't evil or bad, she just may be too messed up to help. 
I went through sort of a similiar thing years ago, and it took me a very long time to move past it.  I won't talk about it on the boards, but if you would like, you can email me and we can talk some privately. 
Take care, you are a gentle wise person and the right path will show itself to you.  As for not taking fosters again, I don't think fostering is for everyone, but you can't make a decision like that in the midst of your pain.  Maybe after some time has passed you will feel that you can't do it again, or maybe you will have a different view and be able to do it with less emotional investment.  I don't know, my hat is off to you because I know myself and I don't let go easily. 
None of this makes you a bad person, and none of it makes you or Rosie a failure.  Every happy loved moment she had where she wasn't biting was a moment of joy and success. 
((hugs))
Ronda and Badger
 :'(

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 12:11:47 pm »
I am so sorry! Not sure if you're ready to hear it now or not but this is not your failure, or even Rosie's.  If it is truly a "turning" then it is genetic, nothing either of you could do to stop it.  I lived through a dog having what is commonly called "rage" and it truly is a mental illness.  You've given Rosie the best chance possible but that does not guarantee it is enough.  There are things beyond both her and your control.  I know with our Pyr, when he had his episodes, he was always horribly upset once he returned to his senses.  It was as difficult for him as it was for us.  It might not seem it now but down the road you may be able to see that euthenasia, should it come to that, comes from the word meaning "the good death."  I know our Pyr is no longer suffering at the hand of the mental illness that made him act in ways he did not want any more than we did.  Getting to the point of doing what needed to be done though was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do in my life.  Big cyber hugs to you and I'll be praying for you through this terrible time - that you'll find a new way to deal with her issues or if that can not be, that you'll know for certain in your heart and mind that you can not fix them.
Daphne

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 02:09:10 pm »
All of your support has me in tears right now...I can't beging to express my appreciation.. .Ty all so much...Right now all 3 dogs are sleeping in their room & my children have been given strict instrustion to stay out completely!...I manages to sleep for an hour & I am going to try to get some more rest while things are quiet...My niece seems o.k....Last night, while waiting for the dr, she asked her mother if she would bring her back out here when they were done...I am so relieved that she doesn't seem scared emotionally by what happened...I will keep you all posted & ty again!

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 02:18:00 pm »
I am so sorry this has happened. My heart goes out to you. :'(
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 02:23:32 pm »
I don't know how you feel or really even what your going through at this moment but I will make a satement about almost everyone here on BPO and thats that they all care.

I also would ask do you really question yourself so much as you question Rosie. You know how she is normally, that is how she has been, my question would be what else is out of character recently. Your upset so you definitely didn't see this coming. Think during feeding time, her interactions with the rest of your pack and other family members, even the amount of sleep she's been getting? When you take her in for the health check be sure to let the vet know the reason for the visit. Hopefully they can find a reason other than Rosie being a "lost cause" (I hate this term like most but its the best description I can think of as type this) because that just isn't going to help.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 03:02:38 pm »
Gypsy,

I don't know the entire story of Rosie but I can tell from the posts that I have read in the past few months that she has some issues and that you have been THE VERY BEST MOTHER she could possible ever have.  You nor Rosie should ever consider yourselves a failure, I sincerely doubt another person would have devoted yourself and your family to Rosie.  As stated earlier whatever she went thru may just have been to much.  I am SO sorry that you are going thru this but know that your frieds and BPO family are behind you and care deeply for you, your family and Rosie.

I hope you are getting some well deserved rest right now.  Thinking of you

Randy

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 04:33:38 pm »
I just want to say I am sorry you are going through this.  You and Rosie are in my thoughts and prayers.
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006, 05:04:24 pm »
I read this thread while I was at work this morning and didn't get a chance to reply.  But everyone else has said the things that I was thinking so eloquently.  You are not a failure and neither is Rosie.  No matter what happens beyond this point, you did the best you could for her and from the pictures you have posted you did a wonderful job and she responded well to your love and care.  I am in awe of you for what you have done for her and gone through.  You are in my thoughts.

Kat 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience