Author Topic: Bad news tonight...Rosie.  (Read 26544 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Bad news tonight...Rosie.
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2006, 10:02:35 pm »
Gyps, I am so sorry it has come to this, after all your love and devotion to Rosie. It is SO hard when you are just starting to think that a dog has come a long way... and then they do something that lets you down. :-[

You are in my thoughts in this tough time.

If only we could talk to them.

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2006, 10:57:07 pm »
So sorry you are going through this tough time! :'(
My thoughts are with you and your family! BIG HUGS
Carole

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 06:36:11 am »
I finally was able to reach my trainer/behaivoralist...After Rosie's vet checkup he wants to come & have a look see at Rosie & give me some professional guidence on what to do next...He said something that helped alot...He said, "remeber that Rosie is the same dog she was before she bit"...That helped me see things in alot clearer light & I realized I'd been treating Rosie like an outcast since the biting...Him telling me that made me realize that alot of how I thought she was acting today was her response to how I was feeling...Righ t after I got off the phone she came up & gave me a big kiss...I am afraid she won't beable to stay here but there might be another option for Rosie besides euthanasia...I will keep you all posted & again ty!

She will definitely pick up on your feelings, as well as those of the rest of the family.  It can become a vicious cycle, with her becoming more nervous because you are upset.  Be sure to look into the laws in your state.  Here in NY if a dog has shown aggression before and is placed it in another home, if that dog EVER bites, no matter the circumstances, the original owner can still be held liable.  I'm glad you were able to get through to your trainer!  He should be able to help you figure out what  is going on and where to go from here.
Daphne

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2006, 09:40:33 am »
I finally was able to reach my trainer/behaivoralist...After Rosie's vet checkup he wants to come & have a look see at Rosie & give me some professional guidence on what to do next...He said something that helped alot...He said, "remeber that Rosie is the same dog she was before she bit"...That helped me see things in alot clearer light & I realized I'd been treating Rosie like an outcast since the biting...Him telling me that made me realize that alot of how I thought she was acting today was her response to how I was feeling...Righ t after I got off the phone she came up & gave me a big kiss...I am afraid she won't beable to stay here but there might be another option for Rosie besides euthanasia...I will keep you all posted & again ty!

She will definitely pick up on your feelings, as well as those of the rest of the family.  It can become a vicious cycle, with her becoming more nervous because you are upset.  Be sure to look into the laws in your state.  Here in NY if a dog has shown aggression before and is placed it in another home, if that dog EVER bites, no matter the circumstances, the original owner can still be held liable.  I'm glad you were able to get through to your trainer!  He should be able to help you figure out what  is going on and where to go from here.
I will look into that is I am able to rehome Rosie...The problem there is Rosie would nee an adult only home with people equipped to deal with her baggage, with people who understand the breed, with people who are willing to go the extra mile, with people who truly love & understand dogs in general...Thos e people already have dogs & Rosie has had dog agression issues...Surpr isingly never with sam or Pippin though...I wonder what's up with that?....Anyway, today at 3 I am taking her to the vet for thyroid testing & whatever other tests the vet deems appropriate... I hope it is a health issue...Maybe we could fix it & keep her...That would be so good.

doggylover

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2006, 02:20:32 pm »
Gyps, you are in my thoughts (more than is probably normal!)
I am keeping my fingers crossed, and Badger is crossing his paws for you (I had to help him but his heart was totally into it)

Ronda

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2006, 02:39:27 pm »
I'm so sorry that I am just now seeing this, Gyps.  I'm thinking of you and Rosie.   :-*

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2006, 03:21:15 pm »
I am so sorry for all that you are going through. My heart is breaking for you. I am praying that all works out for the best.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2006, 03:49:45 pm »
It doesn't look as if Rosie has any underlying health issues. :( The vet & I talked a very long time about Rosie & her behaviours...H e said the closest he'd come to being bitten in a very long time was when he took out Rosie's spay stitches & she gave absolutly no warning...Said he can usually read a dogs body language & knows they are going to snap but with rosie there was no forewarning at all...She just lunged at him...We talked about the treatment she most likely had before I got her & how some dogs never do overcome it...He said even there today he could see the fear in her eyes as he was trying to exam her...I could too...We've seen that alot in her eyes. :'( I am still having our behavioralist come out to see her but it doesn't look good for our sweet Rosie...The vet agreed with all of my criteria for rehoming Rosie & added to it...He said that if someone did want to home her & work with her he wouldn't do it without a waiver of responsibility to protect us from any incidents in the new home...I feel it would be pretty close to impossible to find the right place for Rosie & truthfully, I am not sure it is appropriate to rehome her at all...If I could find who made my sweet girl so afraid of the world I think I would choke them & not care. :'( :'( :'( :'(

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2006, 03:52:14 pm »
 :'(  I am so sorry Gyps.  I don't know what to say.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2006, 04:00:14 pm »
I am not sure it is appropriate to rehome her at all...If I could find who made my sweet girl so afraid of the world I think I would choke them & not care.

....and I'd help choke them and throw in the odd kick!  I'm so sorry!!  I wish there was something we could do to help...but you do have my prayers and good thoughts!!! :'( :'( :'(

Icerotti

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2006, 04:19:15 pm »
aw jeeze Gyps, sorry to hear that the information was not more positive. We are behind you and support you  in any decision you make.

doggylover

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2006, 04:28:46 pm »
Sometimes the most humane thing is to snuggle a dog and comfort them, and send them to the bridge. 
The last thing I'm sure you want is for her to go to another home where they keep her for long enough for her to be bonded, then give her to someone else.  You can control who you send her to, but you can't control who they may give her to, if they decide to rehome her. 
I am so sorry you are going through this.  I just shudder at the pain you are in right now. 
You can message me anytime you just need to talk, I'll give you my number and we can chat till 2 in the morning if it helps...I have GREAT phone stamina!
 ;) :'(

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2006, 05:49:07 pm »
Sometimes the most humane thing is to snuggle a dog and comfort them, and send them to the bridge. 
The last thing I'm sure you want is for her to go to another home where they keep her for long enough for her to be bonded, then give her to someone else.  You can control who you send her to, but you can't control who they may give her to, if they decide to rehome her. 
I am so sorry you are going through this.  I just shudder at the pain you are in right now. 
You can message me anytime you just need to talk, I'll give you my number and we can chat till 2 in the morning if it helps...I have GREAT phone stamina!
 ;) :'(
Your phone stanima comment just gave me my first laugh since Sat. night...Ty!...I will call you & the other's of you who were so nice to offer your ears but probably not until later this week...I just don't think I ahve the energy to talk right now....The outpouring of support her is truely overwhelming.. .I just cn't believe how kind you all are...Ty so very much!

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2006, 07:36:52 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear that news!   :'( If you want another set of ears on the phone, mine are here too, though I must admit I'd probably be bawling so I don't know how much that would help.  I so appreciated the behaviorist Pyr rescue lady who sat for hours listening to me bawling when I went through it, trying to work through all the options and finally come to the decision.  I couldn't realistically find a home that would meet all my criteria either, esp with NY's laws the way they are.  Even if the laws weren't that way, putting the dog into someone else's hands and out of your control is scary too.  As horrible as it sounds initially, the bridge was truly a peaceful, healing choice for our whole family.  As I said earlier, it was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do in my life, but definitely the right thing once we knew we'd exhausted all our other options (including trying to get him into a research program at Cornell).  I'll be praying for your meeting with the behaviorist that he'd be able to see clearly what is going on to help you figure out what can or can not be done. 
Daphne

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2006, 08:19:09 pm »
I hate to hear about Ms Rosie, it is even worse to know that someone did something to her to make her the way she is. My sister was bitten by a neighbors dog that we played with on a daily basis and almost lost her lip. Other than that I have never dealt with a dog turning like that. Just remember "you have done everything in your power to make her happy, don't let anyone tell you different. If it was not for you Rosie may not have had a chance to learn what human love is". Sending hugs and malakisses your way.

Tasha, Tonka, and Nala