Author Topic: playing to rough  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
playing to rough
« on: July 27, 2005, 11:02:25 pm »
I have two 6 month old Great Danes pups. One male and one female from two different litters, I got Onyx when she was 5 weeks old and Thor just a couple of weeks ago. They seem to get along well I have never seen or heard they fight but Onyx has bites on her neck and I was wondering is there a way that I can stop this. I have four dogs all together and they all have stretches and scrapes but it seem as though Onyx gets it the most. My older male is a chocolate Lab he's 3, My oldest Dane is 19 months and Onyx and Thor are two weeks apart.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: playing to rough
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 11:04:38 pm »
Poor Onyx. She needs to stand up for herself. I think Marit is the one to answer this question since she had this problem not that long ago with her dogs Galahad and Hera.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 11:08:14 pm »
No, now don't get it wrong Onyx is the fiesty one she's the one always bothering them and Thor has is fair share of scars just not as bad and not in his neck. Onyx is the puppy that you always have to watch she's always into something or jumping on them while they are sleeping.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 06:07:48 am »
Puppies removed from their litters at 5 weeks of age miss vital socialization periods with their littermates.

During weeks 6 and 7 is when puppies learn bite inhibition and social behaviors. Your puppy missed all that, so she is likely missing cues from her buddies that tell her to KNOCK IT OFF.

So then when she continues to annoy them and does not know to knock it off, they end up retaliating.

Sometimes this behavior can be modified, sometimes it cannot.

If it were my puppy, I would not have her running with the other dogs except under your supervision.  At least until you get a handle on this issue.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.