Author Topic: fumble 3 weeks in recovery!  (Read 17053 times)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: fumble 3 weeks in recovery!
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2007, 03:03:43 pm »
HaHa! sounds like he's relaxed...
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2007, 10:30:02 pm »
Thanks for the update on Fumble.  Looking forward to seeing pictures of the leg.  Glad that his wonderful personality is showing through after the surgery.  We were curious about how long (minutes) is he walking at a time now.  Does he seem to limp a little less as he walks?  You said that he is limping in the house - maybe he is stiff when he first gets up?  Has the vet given any instructions regarding ROM (range of motion) and/or stretching exercises for the leg. How about strengthening or balance exercises?
Loves and kisses to Fumble.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2007, 08:53:33 am »
Thanks for the update on Fumble.  Looking forward to seeing pictures of the leg.  Glad that his wonderful personality is showing through after the surgery.  We were curious about how long (minutes) is he walking at a time now.  Does he seem to limp a little less as he walks?  You said that he is limping in the house - maybe he is stiff when he first gets up?  Has the vet given any instructions regarding ROM (range of motion) and/or stretching exercises for the leg. How about strengthening or balance exercises?
Loves and kisses to Fumble.

no, nothing like that... I was thinking about buying a canine PT book.. but i'm not sure where i can get one around here.. do you have any techniques that might be effective??
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2007, 10:09:45 am »
We bought two canine PT textbooks for reference as they have a wealth of information in them.  I am a PT, so it is much easier for me to use the information.  A lot would not apply to Fumble's present situation, but you may find it interesting.  The books were, Canine Rehabilitation & Physical Therapy, 2004, ISBN 0-7216-9555-8 and Essential Facts of Physiotherapy In Dogs and Cats, Rehabilitation and Pain Management,2004, ISBN 3-938274-09-3.

The passive motion of the stifle would sometimes be a part of the post-operative protocol for TPLO.  Depends on the surgeon, though, and yours might be worried about tendonitis, bone healing, etc.  I would ask.  The goal typically mentioned in protocols is to achieve the same knee range of motion as the normal knee, but remember-
they altered the joint! 
I found online, this summary of a TPLO protocol from the first book mentioned above:
http://www.careanimal.com/news/TPLO/TPLORehab.htm

A protocol merely gives guidelines for proceeding.  The University of Tennesse has an outstanding canine rehabilitation certificate program that I have been considering, but don't have time yet.  Check the website links for the closest certified provider if you have time.  There are some in Mass, but don't know if close to you.  They would likely be a source of info in the future as well. Surgeon's approval is required generally. 

Hope this helps some.  Just am not clear if the surgeon uses rehab or not.  If not, is he/she opposed at this point?
Should never be overdone but the Fumbs is a big boy and will not benefit from weakness.  Best wishes to all!

Denise, Robyn, Cirra

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2007, 06:04:45 pm »
We bought two canine PT textbooks for reference as they have a wealth of information in them.  I am a PT, so it is much easier for me to use the information.  A lot would not apply to Fumble's present situation, but you may find it interesting.  The books were, Canine Rehabilitation & Physical Therapy, 2004, ISBN 0-7216-9555-8 and Essential Facts of Physiotherapy In Dogs and Cats, Rehabilitation and Pain Management,2004, ISBN 3-938274-09-3.

oh thanks guys!!! the vet did say when i asked about some types of physical therapy that he had seen tendonitis set in... so we'll see... i'll take a look at the PT list in MA!  thanks! :)
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2007, 09:14:05 am »
How is the Fumbster doing these days?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2007, 08:51:14 pm »
How is the Fumbster doing these days?

Hey!! sorry we've been MIA this week, my grandma ended up haivng a mild stroke on saturday night, and we live the cloests to her so we've been helping as caregivers!  i've got two of my favorite things in rehab! hehe!!
but fumble is doing great! he's actually almost stopped limping in t he house all together!  and his fur is growing back! yah!!  Tim, Kali's dad told me that I should make sure to brush it a lot so it doesn't get all matted as it's growing back.  I do think i'm going to give him a bath today though! he's getting kinda dirty!
Here are some pictures of him from last weekend pre nanny's stroke

fumble's glamour celeb over the shoulder shot

catching some water from the hose!

ouu that feels nnniiiiccceee

i can catch it!

waiting for the hose to go!

at little bit later, he got cold and pulled the blanket off the fouton and rolled oveR! lol!

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2007, 03:35:44 am »
The crazy bear and his doting Momma. Good to see you guys! Where are the pics of Fumbs with his proud Grandpa? I kniow you have to have some. Hopeful your Gram is doing better, we can see that Fumble is! I'll try to call you later this week.

k2campbell

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2007, 04:29:57 am »
Glad to hear (and see) that Fumble is recovering well  ;) :-*

Offline Cazzie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Slave to Amba
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2007, 05:36:03 am »
Awww Fumble so good to see that your recovering so well!!! big ((hugs))
Proudly owned by Amba - Boston terrier
                 Merlin - Exotic Short hair cat
                 Harley - Ragdoll cat
RIP...Stormy & Balki - my Newfoundland Angels

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2007, 05:50:52 am »
He's such a cutie!  ;D  The pics of him playing in the water are too cute, but I really love the one of him snuggled up in his blankey.  :-*  I'm glad that he's doing so well!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2007, 06:33:33 am »
Great news. im so glad Fumble is doing great. and he looks great. WOOOOOO YAY. smooch that nose for me :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2007, 12:53:26 am »
great pics of fumble in the water, glad to hear he's doing so well, hope your grandma is the same
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2007, 08:46:00 pm »
thanks everyone! :)

Offline Moore1125

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2007, 01:06:07 am »
Glad to see that Fumble is doing awesome!! Rudder sends BIG WET SLOBBERY KISSES:)