Author Topic: High prey drive question  (Read 5642 times)

Offline gr8dame

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
High prey drive question
« on: October 02, 2007, 11:54:10 am »
 ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:38:52 pm by gr8dame »

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
Re: High prey drive question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 12:13:04 pm »
Is he up to date on all his shots? I think that would be my first concern. I personally don't know if or how harmful it could be. But when you think about it, cats eat mice all the time. I've yet to see a cat die from eating mice. Ask your vet and see what he/she says.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:16:42 pm »
I wouldn't think it can harm him but, yakes, sooo gross!!!
I can imagine seeing a tail hanging out of Lily's mouth. I think my stomach would twist on me

Sorry, I can't help you with prey drive advise   ???
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:18:18 pm »
Hmm...ok. Being a pregnant woman, I know that rodents can carry toxoplasmosis, which is why we aren't supposed to clean cat boxes. I wonder if that can be the same thing with dogs? And, not that you're pregnant or planning on it, but I don't know if toxoplasmosis is a big deal othewise. Hmm...guess not. Here's what the CDC says:

http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/dpd/parasites/toxoplasmosis/factsht_toxoplasmosis.htm

He's probably fine, I guess!

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 04:53:41 pm »
Eww~!  Woody also has a very high prey drive.  I think that's the gene what he got from the 3 breeds of hunting dog he is (he sure didn't get the retrieve gene).  If it moves Woody will hunt it, but, he usually doesn't bother with buzzy bugs (that's Maple's job, she hunts flies and bees only).  I'm lucky that he doesn't eat the squirrels or 'possums that he catches, but, I've never been able to stop him from hunting them.  Heck, he even will track planes or helicopters across the sky.  Oh,and when we go to my friends house, her pond with goldfish in it is the dog sitter.  He points and will not move away from it except to eat (even at night, he begs to go out, so I'm thinking he needs to pee, and all he wants is to hunt fishies)

Good luck, and, I guess Strider will need breath mints before giving kisses from now on  ;D
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 07:05:52 pm »
ewe!  this brings up bad memories.  axle killed a possum and planted it on the back step once.  it was so nasty.  at first i wasn't sure if it was "playing possum" or dead.  but then axle grabbed it and proceeded to give it to hubby's grandma.  yeah.  it wasn't playing.  i have to second the parasites part.  other than that, i'm not really sure.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 07:17:11 pm »

And you are way braver than me, the thought of brushing mouse goo off his teeth is giving me the willies.  That would be Keith's job.

LOL!  My hubby says that if it's "dirty, dangerous or disgusting" that I leave it to him.  I've been known to point out though that he's pretty useless around vomit though, it makes him sick to look at it so I'm almost always the one to deal with it.

Last year, Daisy ate a nasty, smelly, long-dead bird.  As I was yelling and trying to make her drop it she took one big chomp and swallowed it.  :o  Since she has IBD and can get really, really GI sick sometimes, I gave her some peroxide and made her barf it up before she really got sick.  Now whenever hubby says the dirty, dangerous or disgusting thing, I point out that
*I* had to clean up and bury a barfed up, long-dead stinky bird.   That usually quiets him up for a while.  LMAO   ;D  ;D  Amazing what dogs will eat when they find it themselves and how picky they can be if they don't like their real food.   ;)  ::)  ;D 

P.S.  Great job of delegating, Stella.  I'm impressed!  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 07:25:48 pm »
omg!  how nasty!  that makes me think of that one part of the movie premonition where she falls and her hand lands in an ewy guey nasty, bloody, long dead crow.  *gags*
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 06:09:18 am »
omg!  how nasty!  that makes me think of that one part of the movie premonition where she falls and her hand lands in an ewy guey nasty, bloody, long dead crow.  *gags*

Agh!  I think that I'd better skip that movie then.  That scene would be just a bit too real for me, I think.   :-\  ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 09:43:41 am »
Look at it this way you will never need a cat with him around :)He even brought his gift into you..lol
My Bluetick use to eat mice ..like a snake, all in one piece sometimes while still alive :o. The vet told me as long as he has his rabies vaccine he should be fine. She also suggested worming him twice a year instead of once in case the mice had tape worms is my guess.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 06:10:08 am »
Tipper has a very high prey drive as well and he is really fast--he has caught several squirrels, a rabbit, and a bird! Lucky for me, he has never eaten them, for Tipper the thrill is in the chase (thank goodness)! But because of this, my vet gives him an extra vaccination that takes into account his close encounters with wildlife. I don't know exactly what it is, but I would second what others have said in terms of asking your vet to be sure.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 09:25:12 am »
Oooh, Mojo is the king of mouse and vole eating and Faust used to eat chickens and ducks.  We let Mojo eat the little rodents because living in the middle of lots of farm fields, they like to come in our house and try to share our food.  Blech!  Faust OTOH we had to break of his habit and is now 100% reliable offlead near poultry, if we are there with him.  I still wouldn't trust him alone with them. 

We just make sure to worm all the dogs every couple of months.  I use Safe-Guard that we buy at Tractor Supply.  We either buy it for horse/cattle or goats and its very cheap.  My old country vet okayed it after I found the dosing here-

http://beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_canineintestinalworms.htm

Its the same thing as Panacur, which I'm sure everyone here knows costs an arm and a leg at the vets, especially for our large & giant breeds.

I guess Safe-Guard caught wind that people were buying it for their dogs and now package it in tastier dog pills, but its still more than buying the other version. 

disclaimer *I am NOT a vet, but just sharing information that was given the ok by my other vet...
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 12:05:40 pm »
Its the same thing as Panacur, which I'm sure everyone here knows costs an arm and a leg at the vets, especially for our large & giant breeds.

I guess Safe-Guard caught wind that people were buying it for their dogs and now package it in tastier dog pills, but its still more than buying the other version. 

Safe-guard is Panacur. Intervet (the makers) make and package both under different names..one you get from your vet the other OTC....Same medicine same end results. http://www.intervetusa.com/species/canine/products.asp

I'm not sure what "pill" version you are speaking of I do not see it on their site? To my knowledge Panacur for dogs is a powder and always has been. Can you post a link to the pill version, Breeze hates the powder and a pill would be much easier.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 12:09:57 pm by VdogLover »

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 02:05:34 pm »
I'm not sure where it was, my mom just told me that she saw a dog pill version when she went to Tractor Supply.  I'll see if I can find out, or maybe she just assumed that the granules were pills inside?  I've always used one of the livestock versions in an oral syringe.  They are liquid or paste, from their reaction it tastes nasty, but I don't have to worry about mixing it in food or something to get it in them.  Then they get a treat afterwards.  :)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 06:00:49 am »
EW! Mousekisses!!!

Ditto the vaccinations and wormings.

In theory, you could train him out of catching mice, but you'd need a lot of time and practice mice.  If you teach him to drop them, he might let a live one loose in the house.

We get so many rodents sneaking through the dogs' doors that a Have a Heart trap is a fixture behind the sofa.  The clang of it shutting will wake me up.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua