Author Topic: Talking Back: Any suggestions?  (Read 4644 times)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Talking Back: Any suggestions?
« on: May 18, 2006, 10:28:44 am »
Ok Kali loves to talk back at everyone!!! The whole family is going deaf. She barks to go out, to get fed, to get attention, if she's bored and Lacey won't play, if she's let alone, etc. She's especially bad when we're on the phone. We've tried to throw bottles with hard noodles, Loud Nos, distracting her with a toy,and ignoring her.  The only thing we've found that remotely work is holding her ear(and whisper at her if she's bad).  I know other people have this issue too.  Any other suggestions?
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Talking Back: Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 11:30:34 am »
I think ignoring her when she barks is the best idea....and only pay attention once she quiets down and reward her like mad for "quiet".  Chester used to bark the whole time I was fixing the dogs' food...and we totally ignored him and he didn't get fed until he quieted down.  He's good now and only barks for a reason.

...but then girls can be more 'expressive' than boys!! ::) ::)

mjjensen

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 11:37:10 am »
 I have the exact same problem with Sam, especially the phone part. And when he starts barking Duncan will stop whatever he's doing and join in. Max rarely barks at anything and when the other two start in he usually goes off to a quiet corner. I've tried all the usual suggestions, turning my back to him, ignoring him, no's etc. The only thing that works at all is a good stare. He'll usually stop if I give him "the look" for a minute or two although sometimes he starts back up as soon as I break eye contact. He has gotten better as he's gotten older, he's 9 months old now and he's not nearly as bad as he was at 6-7 months, so maybe the look is working a little. Or maybe he's just growing up! 

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 09:34:53 pm »
I agree with the others. Ignoring, no, and a rattle can are great suggestions. I don't know if this would work or not but have you tried barking back at her? I know that sometimes when Bear gets noisy and we talk to him he gets quiet after a while cuz he is bored with us. Just an idea.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 11:42:07 am »
When Dell is crated he would "talk" to us.  I've noticed that if we respond, the "talking" gets louder and much more animated, but if we ignore him, he will get quiet.

Once he gets quiet I jackpot treat him - give him a ton of his favorite treats and a couple of cheese sticks or some leftover chicken.  I also tell him "good quiet" and stroke his chest or ears.  He still does it on occasion but it's much less sassy than before.
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 12:14:39 pm »
Riley used to bark a lot-for attention, to get out of the bedroom at night, to get Sadie to play, to talk back at me... for pretty much anything. He finally stopped most of it (occasional bark to go out). Since I thought he knew "quiet", I tried to teach him and Sadie (who only barks in "protection mode") to speak on command. Sadie usually picks skills up in one to two tries-she's a smarty pants. Riley's a bit slower normally, but with this, I barked at them and stared until he'd bark and he'd do it. Sadie wouldn't. She got frustrated that he was getting treats and started running through her list of tricks and commands. It was pretty amusing-poor baby wouldn't bark-I guess she knows she's not supposed to bark about other things? She just did everything else she could think of-sit, down, "show me your belly!", shake, touch, and even getting me her stuffed animals. I had to start giving her other commands just to give her something to get a treat for.

But it all kind of backfired-Riley has started barking a bit again. It's not as bad as before, but he's barking more at Sadie for her attention especially. Sigh... He sure thinks he's a bright bulb for barking on command, though. He gets really happy with himself for that.

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 12:29:44 pm »
We have two loud barkers with Daisy's being especially ear drum shattering. Ignoring them helps after after awhile(like 5-10 minutes). Daisy responds well to hand signals and lately when she starts barking and woo-ing I say "shh, quiet" and do a downward motion with my hands. She has learned to drop her voice down a few notches into a woowoo "whisper" ..it's kinda cute.  :D
Luke unfortunatley doesn't get it, but his bark isn't as painful.

Good luck with Kali.  :)
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 12:42:02 pm »
Try a coffee can with a few pennies in it.  I use it when Binky barks in the yard and it is the only thing that gets her to stop-if only for a few minutes!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 02:57:11 pm »
It doesn't usually work, but I lightly smack Zoey's muzzle when she backtalks or hold it closed. I can just tell Dolly to hush and she listens!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

chaosndestruction

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 09:49:00 am »
Apparently I picked the talker out of the litter...When I gave  Keela her 2nd bath yesterday and wouldn't let her get away from the water she sat there and whimpered, whined and howled at me! Then proceeded to talk back after she was towled off and free...

chaosndestruction

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 09:27:49 am »
haha Arisha doesn't bark or talk back at us... but she does talk to the other animals...she's likes to play "tag" with my colt...she'll run up to about 3-4 feet away from him...bark insistantly... and then run away and look back to see if he's chasing her...after he chases her...she'll chase him and then it starts all over again ::)

It seems like Keela's going to be more like daddy though and argue with us over everything...(she doesn't seem to like it when I laugh at her either, haha)

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 07:22:49 am »
I had never heard of a Newf being a "Barker" (When they are cute its talking back...when its annoying its just plain old barking!  :D )...until we got Kuma and then I heard it all the time!  :)

Early on she was worse then a terrier!  >:(   To go in...to go out...when she was crated and she KNEW we were home...to throw the ball....bored. ..etc.etc.  uggg....

She has actually gotten much better and only now barks when she really is talking back (NOrmally when I am getting onto her!)or outside playing.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 07:23:33 am by Beth »
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 07:28:25 am »
Is she bored? is she excersised? does she go for walks and swimming? does she have the proper thinking toys?
a tired newf is a good newf, and, individual training time daily is a must, even if just ten minutes of onleash work will help to get her attention on you and hopefully take away some of the pent up energy she has.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505