Author Topic: Oh, boy... I fainted at the vet's!  (Read 6159 times)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Oh, boy... I fainted at the vet's!
« on: June 05, 2006, 04:56:11 pm »
So I took Sadie and Riley to the vet's today. Sadie needed her shots and they've been itchy this week. The little exam room stunk, like a dog had just had an accident, and there were what looked like little blood spatters on one wall. I was thinking, I need to get a new vet... The cleaner they use bugs me, and on prior trips, I've felt a little faint while standing in the exam room. I haven't had a problem with needles, but today, I had to sit while they were finishing up the shots. I didn't say anything to them; I just sat.

So I got out into the waiting room, and there's a couple with an aggressive dog in front of me. This dog wants to play but then can't decide if playing or snarling would be more fun. I kept Sadie and Riley towards the middle of the room. The people finally left, but their dog left crumbles of treats on the floor, which I really didn't want Sadie and Riley eating. Another dog came in who was emaciated-the owner said she thinks he has worms and that he won't eat, has diarrhea, etc. She said the person she got him from told her he'd had his shots. Uh-oh. I don't think it's worms, so I was tryig to keep Sadie and Riley to the far right side of the counter.

They gave me paperwork to fill out. I remember feeling faint, so I put my head down beside where I was writing and kept filling it out. I finished, handed it to the receptionist, and asked if I could sit. She asked me if I wanted a cup of water. I remember putting my head down again because most of what I could see was either plain gray or black with small patches of grayish color. It was weird. The next thing I know, I'm in the middle of the room, my knees are hitting the floor, and a tech and the vet are helping me to a seat. They were telling me to let go of the leashes (I guess I wasn't going to let my dogs go, even when I was knocked out...). Anyway, they sat me down and I noticed almost immediately that I was covered in cold sweat. It was kind of hot in there, but I hadn't been profusely sweating until that point.

I sat there for about 30 minutes, paid, and left. They were really nice about it and had a vet tech sitting with me until I told him I'd be okay. They walked me to my car and helped me get the dogs in.

I feel okay now-a little light-headed if I stand too long. It's really weird. I've never fainted before. I got close once when I was about 12 or so, and I've had a couple of concussions in my life from playing soccer (the most recent one was a couple of months ago).

Anyway, it was definitely an abnormal vet visit. The thing is, I've been kind of lethargic recently and sleeping a lot on the weekends. I went through a spell of that in January or so, but it went away. It's come back in the past few weeks. In January, my dr suggested a blood test, which I didn't do (I know, I should have). I think I'm going in tomorrow and asking for one. I'm sure it was the heat, the smells, and whatnot that caused it, but since I'm not prone to that sort of thing, I'd like to get it checked out.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 04:57:52 pm by macybean »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, boy... I fainted at the vet's!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 04:58:36 pm »
For SURE get checked out.  It does sound a bit like the after-effects of a concussion...b ut why it would take this long to show up is confusing! ???

PLEASE go get looked at! 

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 05:04:52 pm »
go to a dr. TODAY! and make sure you are ok! what would i do w/o your advice?! lol...feel better!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 05:40:06 pm »
When was the last time you ate or drank anything before you fainted? 

When the spring/summer change hits, it's not uncommon for people to have episodes like you describe if they're dehydrated, or if their blood sugar is low.

DEFINITELY have the blood test, ASAP. Ask to have FASTING bloods done, and ask your doc to do an A1c test (to check your overall sugar level for the last 3 months, to make sure you aren't pre-diabetic), and have them also check your thyroid levels, just to be on the safe side. 

I get symptoms like this if I miss more than a couple of days of my thyroid replacement pill (I had my thyroid out 6 years ago because of a malignant tumor.)  My friend Tia has Hashimoto's syndrome, which caused her thyroid to fail, and the lethargy, sleeping, faintiness, etc. are all symptoms she had in the early stages of her disease.  If there's something going on with your thyroid, it's a pretty simple fix--you just take a pill every day--but if it's not caught in time, it can life-threatening.

Call your dr. right now; make sure you're drinking at least 3 sports bottles of water a day to stay hydrated now that it's summer, and be sure you're eating!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 05:40:43 pm by NoDogNow »
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

k2campbell

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 05:56:53 pm »
Please, please, please go get a blood test :o I'm hopeful (as you've stated) that it was just a combination of the heat, smells, etc.  I sure am glad you are ok and didn't hurt yourself when you fell.  Be careful missy! ;)

Trust me, I learnt the hard way by not getting myself checked out when I wasn't feeling "up-to-par", and ended up getting really, really sick.

Take care :-*

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 05:58:49 pm »
Get the blood test, for sure. Had you eaten yet? My mom is a nurse and she thinks perhaps you just for some reason got kind of grossed out at the vet. Or it could be a more serious problem. The blood test will show whatever is going on though, so get some rest, definitely drink lots of fluids tonight (no, pop doesn't count! Sorry!), and eat some fruits and vegetables to stabilize your body's natural sugar level in case something is going on there. Feel better soon! Hope nothing is seriously wrong!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 06:10:23 pm »
At the risk of being redundant, go back to the Dr and/or get that blood work done ASAP!  If you've been under the weather for a while, this is more than just a vet visit issue.  Hope you can get to the bottom of it soon!  Take care of yourself!  Your puppers need you!
Daphne

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 06:12:26 pm »
I agree with the others..please go to the DRs. Can't hurt to just get checked over.

I have only fainted twice...once when I got my braces..I was like 12...I think it was from laying in the chair for so long then getting up fast...the second time I was pregnant. Each time it was horrible feeling :-\

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 06:22:47 pm »
Oh no!  :-\

I'm going to go ahead and jump on the "get to the doc's asap" train
RIP former BPO

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 06:27:15 pm »
I've been knocked out and passed out once and it wasn't fun.  I hope the tests come out good and give you an answer.  Keep us updated and take care of yourself.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 06:28:47 pm »
I just got off the phone with my dad, who's a doctor. He said it was a vagual episode (basically, a faint). He said the fact that I felt light-headed when I was in the room with Sadie first and the fact that I was standing for several minutes before the second light-headed spell really point to that, along with the cold sweat and slight nauseas feeling I had afterwards.

He isn't sure what the fatigue/lethargy is and said I should go ahead and get an appointment with my doctor to have my blood drawn. He mentioned iron levels as one possible factor in that.

I called my clinic's after-hours line and they said I could go to the after-hours clinic (this was before I talked to my dad) or get an appointment in the morning. They couldn't schedule it from there. So tomorrow morning I'll get on the phone and get an appointment. Until then, it's rest and lots of fluids (to the person who asked about that-I hadn't had much to drink today, as I'd been sleeping a lot (had already scheduled to have the day off)). I definitely should have known better than to not drink much all day.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 06:30:37 pm by macybean »

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 06:31:28 pm »
Please get to a dr. & get yourself checked out!...How frightning for you!...I have to say though that I love that you didn't let go of your dogs' leashes...That's a true dog lover! ;D Let us know what you find out from the doc...K?

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 06:55:56 pm »
I had to do a gestational diabetes test when I was pregnant and I fainted too ! Everything you mentioned happened to me , I felt hot then started seeing spots etc , then fainted when I tried to run to the bathroom because I thought I was going to throw up , when I woke up the nurses were taking me to a room and I was soaked in sweat .It sure scared me ! I hope you get to feeling better soon ! Take care of yourself!
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 09:21:27 pm »
I just got off the phone with my dad, who's a doctor. He said it was a vagual episode (basically, a faint).

Yep, I know exactly how you feel.  I work in a hospital and see all kinds of horrible things, but I have had to get stitches put in and removed a couple of times, and the same thing has happened to me.  I don't think that it is bothering me at the time, but yet my body just has this reaction.  I get lightheaded and usually break out into a cold sweat.  I have to lay down, prop my legs up, and get a cold rag.  I feel like such a wus when it happens! ;D ;D

I forgot to add this, but I usually do it in front of doctors that I work with regularly, so they usually look at me like I'm crazy! :D :o
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 09:26:10 pm by Bella's mom »
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 09:25:05 pm »
Fainting is sooo scary!  It has happened to me a couple of times, I am hypoglycemic and anemic so if I don't eat I get really sick and have had a couple of fainting spells because of it.
Hope you are feeling better, and at the risk of being redundant...go to the Dr!!
I am kind of a big deal!