Author Topic: New family member  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Sadenna_And Zoo

• Gnawer
  • My husband and my animals are my life...
    • View Profile
    • My photo Bucket Album
New family member
« on: June 10, 2006, 12:35:15 am »
Hello, I was on a while back as my husband and  I had been thinking about adding another dog to our family. We had been looking at purebreds and deciding what we wanted and also were very open to a mixed breed, well memorial day weekend we decided to go check out some local mixed breed pups that were for sale.  Mom and Dad were both on site so we got to meet both and Dad was your typical Black lab anyone new is a friend of his and mom was a very sweet Rotty just mellow, calm and so friendly. The pups were quite independent kind of wandered around their yard not really paying us no mind which made getting ones attention hard, so my husband got down and called to them one came running right over to us and sat down in front of hubby for some rubs and scratches and then was off again to go explore..he then again called to them and another came running over to us this one though when  you reached out to pet her shyed away a bit so we definantly did not want that one...the others seemed so into exploring so again he called one more time and the first pup came running right over so we figured that was she was ours..the big deciding factor for us though was how mom and dad acted and how the pups re-acted to someone they had not seen before and the family who had them was very nice and took great are of the pups very nice fat healthy pups.

Maggie is doing great, she is 12wks old and already weighs 20.2 pounds our vet is guessing she is gonna be big as she has some huge paws on her his guess 80 pounds at the most.  She is very smart, has already picked up sit and lay down..we are working on stay and will be enrolling her in obediance classes as soon as we find one we like, there are two close to us we are going to go check out all they do is dog training from puppy classes up to more than just the basic obediance, we are going to go sit in on a class or two and see how it is before making our choice.

The cats and our other two dogs have adjusted just fine, course Maggie has decided our Lhasa Apsos tail is for dragging her across the living room floor..and our Lhasa Tibet takes it all in stride and lets Maggie know when she has had enough and has been putting maggie in her place and has even backed her into her dog bed letting her know she is one the top dogs in the house and that the new puppy is not..Maggie is learning quick when tibet has had enough. As for our Black Lab/Chow/Daschund mix well he let her know on day 1 he was the alpha dog in the house and Maggie does not mess with him anymore that was settled very quickly.

Maggie took to being on a leash great all it took was putting our Lhasa Tibet on a leash and then putting a leash on Maggie and haveing Maggie follow Tibet around the yard with lots of praise and a couple of treats and instantly she figured it out.

It has been 7 years since our other 2 dogs were puppies so having a puppy in the house has been a bit strange doing all the potty training which is going well.

Well thats about it for now, will update when I can.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 02:04:14 am by Sadenna_And Zoo »
I am proud slave to:

Dolittle (7years old-Male):
Black Lab/Chow/Daschund Mix

Tibet:(6 years old -Female):
 Lhasa Apso

Maggie:(5 Month old Female):
  Black Lab/Rottweiler mix

Other Pets:

4 Cats
9 birds
3 Snakes
3 Lizards

doggylover

Re: New family member
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 12:41:02 am »
That is one CUTE pup.  Just a tip, since you are new around here...it's unsafe to post cute pupper pics on this board.  There is a whole crew of crazy women who sneak around in the night wearing army fatigues and kidnapping puppies.  They even have what they refer to as their 'kidnap list'.  Its a massive conspiracy.  They 'say' they will return the pup after they have 'trained' it, but I highly doubt these crazy women would ever return a pup after they slobbered all over it. 
 :)

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 10:10:40 am »
She is beautiful!  Hey, you know what?!  I'm a great dog trainer!  How's about you let me take her and train her at my home?  I promise I'll give her back  ;)
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 08:01:43 pm »
Congrats on your new pup! She looks adorable in your avatar - can't wait to see more pics :)
RIP former BPO

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 09:12:36 pm »
She is so cute!

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 10:47:54 pm »
So cute!  More pictures, please. :D
Yeah, watch out for these crazy ladies who say they will "train" your pup. ;)  Puppy breath is like their heroin. :D
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom