Author Topic: jumping on the counters???  (Read 11031 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
jumping on the counters???
« on: June 15, 2006, 05:12:13 am »
does anyone have any suggestions to get fumble to stop jumping on the counters!  if i get up and tell him "off" while walking towards him he gets off, but if i'm sitting in the other room and say it he plays deaf!  he's also learned how to turn the kitchen sink on, so that doesn't help either.  he only seems to do it when we're home, and i think it's to get attention.. i was just wondering what you all thinK??? i've emailed my breeder and am waiting to hear back from him too! i just figured i'd ask other bigpaw owners! thanks! :)

plus, i'm not sure how many more pairs of stacy's shoes i can afford to replaCE!  lol!  (we put them up high and he still get em!)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 05:13:36 am by Fumble »
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Re: jumping on the counters???
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 06:57:24 am »
Hi,

Get a soda can fill it with pennies or stones and give it a shake with a no each time!! DON'T GET UP that is the reaction FUMBLE wants mom's up so now we play.

The shaker worked well with Winslow now if I reach for it he'll stop before that nasty noise.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 07:07:43 am »
oou gooood idea!! thanks rich! as soon as i get home the war will begin!!   :P
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 07:38:12 am »
You might try putting cookie sheets on the edge of the counters so they will fall off when Fumble tries to jump up.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 10:00:16 am »
This sounds cruel, but it what worked for me.  I set my dog up a couple of times.  I left something yummy on the counter and went away from the kitchen.  I would wait and watch him, when he jumped up, I would either come back in the room banging on a pan with a spoon (loud loud noise) or I would throw a can of pennies in there close to him and yell no.  It scared him and he quit doing it.  This was many years ago, and we really have not had a problem with the newfs doing it.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 10:04:37 am »
I'd suggest getting some kind of container like the rubbermaid ones to put her shoes in.  Then put that somewhere he can't get it easily.  Or even a trunk may work if you have room.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 10:49:05 am »
I'd suggest getting some kind of container like the rubbermaid ones to put her shoes in.  Then put that somewhere he can't get it easily.  Or even a trunk may work if you have room.

well it's sort of stacy's fault for leaving her shoes where she did! but she had a rough day at work yesterday so i gave her some slack! lol!  we have a chest in our living room and the silly dog figured out how to open it! i swear.. he's too smart for me! 

i'll def try the pennies, and i kinda like the setting them up thing!  it's not cruel when it's a lesson to be learned!  lol!  i'll let you know how it works out! cause i'm sure he'll do it as soon i sit down after taking him for a ride/walk.. the whole usual bit after work!

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 11:03:01 am »
Ob boy!! Big pet peeve!! (Right next to Kuma talking back!)  >:(

She has stolen everything from a two-year olds poptart to four $30.00 steaks!  I actually came in once to see her up on the kitchen table and carefully holding a juice bottle between her two front paws!   :o Looked just like a Black Bear in a Smoky Mountain Garbage dumpster!

We have tried everything but she is BULL HEADED about this.  This also includes using a bull horn (No kidding  :D)at the EXACT MOMENT of the crime… which SCARED HER TO DEATH and I just knew that would cure her…until only a few days later.  She wants “whatever” that bad. 

To be honest, I have gotten so tired of fighting her over it that I have started just putting up a gate at the kitchen when we are cooking or eating… which is frustrating because I want her to JUST NOT DO IT!   I feel like I am giving in to her and a MAJOR house rule! I guess she is SO food motivated she zones out when she smells something and by golly she is going to get it!!

Might have to try some of these suggestions….
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 11:05:00 am »
If worse comes to worst, Invisible Fence makes a little white box that you can plug in and leave on your kitchen counter.  Fumble would wear an electric shock color and if he goes in to the kitchen, he would get zapped.  Maybe not kind, but it does work.  My sister has two chocolate labs, one who is a food fanatic!  He learned how to open drawers to eat paper napkins (??) and had gotten up on the counter to get a HUGE bag of chocolate chip cookies (that required an ER visit), a huge can of macadamia nuts (that required an ER visit) and 8 ears of corn which had him pooping corn for days...never mind the corn silk!!! :P

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 11:12:09 am »
Kali could care less about the pebbles in a bottle. It really makes a nasty sound that drives everyone including Lacey our ausie crazy, Kali just doesn't care about it. Just a warning it doesn't work for everyone.

doggylover

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 12:06:05 pm »
Bava's only done that once and ate a subway sandwich. He didn't like the lettuce or the tomato though, so he dropped those on the floor.
ROFLMAO that is SOOOOOO cute...when it is someone else's dog of course. 
HEEHEE

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 01:49:56 pm »
<<when it is someone else's dog of course. 
HEEHEE>>
 :D

This is what I find so funny about this board...you read these stories and you are laughing...unt il you realize its not funny when its YOU!  :D  What is THAT about?!
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 01:53:03 pm »
<<If worse comes to worst, Invisible Fence makes a little white box that you can plug in and leave on your kitchen counter.>>
I hate to say it but I have actually thought about this.  Seriously, we have tried everything (And everything suggested) and she just does not get it.  (And this is a BIG pet peeve for my husband) I even tried to think about ways to just keep her out of the kitchen but the way are home is designed its not practical.  You have to go through it to get to the laundry room (Which is EXTRMELY convenient to keep her crate, food, etc) the garage, etc. 
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 02:19:46 pm »
Here's the link to invisible fence www.invisiblef ence.com/product_solutions/indoor/index.asp

It has made living with Magnum, the chocolate lab possible.  He literally has been at the ER at least 8 times.  We're talking thousands of dollars in medical costs.  My BIL was so angry after the corn incident (I must admit to laughing my self silly....total ly had the visual!) he just told my sister that Magnum was either going to live or die...it was Magnum's choice.  That didn't include the Christmas Eve he got on the kitchen counter to get the Prime Rib that was cooling while we were in the living room finishing opening the presents.  THAT ws a special holiday!!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 03:33:47 pm »
oh my goodness! magnum seems like quite the handfull!! it is good to know that fumble isn't the only dog that has his "tricks" lol!  he hasn't done it yet, knock on wood, and i've even worked out... and i have a hard time gating him from the kitchen because that's like the whole house! lol!  i'm pretty sure that those who have been to my house can vouch for me here!  lol!  i will try the bottle thingie... and if all else fails i can buy me the invisible fence thingie... thanks though! i'll keep you posteD!

don't worry, fumble ate a subway sandwich too! although it was during the bpo meet and greet we had here and well fumble had it all planneD!  we did have the food on a shorter table, but hey.. it worked out pretty well except for the poor 1/8 of the subway sandwich, RIP turkey sub! hehe!