Author Topic: Arthritis at 2 yrs?  (Read 2358 times)

Offline shan100

• Gnawer
  • Lucy Lou and Virgil
    • View Profile
Arthritis at 2 yrs?
« on: August 10, 2006, 12:52:14 pm »
Virgil has been been very stiff and has had trouble getting up for the last few months. I thought it was his hips. However I got him x-rayed and it turned out to be arthritis in his knees and a spot on his spine. The vet thinks it is from an old injury, but he has never been hurt before. She says it could have been a small barely noticible incident. He is so young. I was wondering if this is common and how upset I should be. Does that make sense. The Dr. kinda sounded like Virgil would have been better off having hip dysplasia. Does Anyone have experience with arthritis at this age?
Virgil Frances

GR8DAME

Re: Arthritis at 2 yrs?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 01:49:42 pm »
I have had two dobemans that had arthritis realatively young, one is still here at 11, and the other passed away at 11.
Arthritis is harder to treat in a younger dog because it is chronic and can only be treated effectively chemically. You can control the inflamationa and pain, but there is no cure. Just like with people, what medication works today may not be as effective in two years.
Hip dysplagia in a young dog is easier according to most vets because it can also be managed in some cases surgically, with hip replacements, or chemical with pain control, glucosamine and chondroitin and other means.
But, the good news is that tina is right, there are so many new medications out there now arthritis in any age is easier to manage than ever before.
Stella

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 01:34:42 am »
My chocolate Lab started with arthritis in her elbows at 1 yr old.  We thought by age 6 that we'd need to put her to sleep but the vet suggested glucosamine chondroitin which we put her on and kept her on until she died at age 14.  She was pretty spry and very playful up until the day she died.  She was pretty pain tolerant and we did end up occasionally using rimadyl to control the pain but she did very well for the early onset of her arthritis.  If you try it, don't expect immediate results.  It takes at least a month before you see benefits.  We just use the Walmart brand (spring valley?) which has excellent ratings in blind tests. 
Daphne

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 04:18:17 pm »
Our Landseer Newf, Cowboy, has had arthritis since we got him at 18 months.  The assumption is that the previous owner had him running and jumping as a wee pup which is a huge no-no with the giant breeds.  He actually broke off the tiny bones in his front knees so was limping when we got him.  We had him on Cosequin for the first 6 - 8 months and then his breeder recommended that we switch him to Cetyl M and MSM which we've done.   He hasn't limped since!!

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 07:41:13 am »
excersise is crucial for giant breeds, walking running playing it is the playing to roughly with other dogs, getting slammed into the ground, or into cement walls or down on elbows on cement that is harmful.
if they are not excersised, they do not get crucial muscle that is needed for bones to form correctly.
keeping a newf inactive is the worst thing one can do esp when they are growing/
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505