Author Topic: New (to me) SUV - DH thinks Teddy will have trouble getting in...??  (Read 1771 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Will he???

We just bought a 2003 Buick Rendevouz - finally I'm not a minivan Mom!  (but I could have thought up better ways of getting one rather than crash the van!  :o)

Hubby is afraid that Teddy might have trouble with the bigger jump to get in.  Its a crossover SUV/minivan so it shouldn't be that bad but..........????

Anyone have any trouble getting their Big paws into Big vehicles?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 06:44:41 am by PennyK »
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: New SUV - DH thinks Teddy will have trouble getting in...??
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 05:55:39 am »
While he's young you shouldn't have a problem.  The only thing that's bad is when they're tired or hurt and refuse to jump.  Kali does it alot and I have to hoist her butt into the car which isn't fun cause she weighs more than me.  Most of the big paws I know will only put their front feet on the back of the car so you can lift their butts in for them  ::).

If you are are really concerned pick up a ramp....if you search the site there's one you can get for around $100 that's very good and compact I can't think of the name of the site.  But I'd see what he does before you worry too much about it.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
Re: New SUV - DH thinks Teddy will have trouble getting in...??
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 06:35:11 am »
Will he???

We just bought a 2003 Buick Rendevouz - finally I'm not a minivan Mom!  (but I could have thought up better ways of getting one rather than crash the van!  :o)

Hubby is afraid that Teddy might have trouble with the bigger jump to get in.  Its a crossover SUV/minivan so it shouldn't be that bad but..........????

Anyone have any trouble betting their Big paws into Big vehicles?

We have an '03 Ford crew cab (4x4) w/ canopy.  The girls don't have a problem "hopping" in or out.  Before we lost Appollos (RIP), we had to help him in.  He had Wobblers and wasn't able to jump/hop into anything.  He or we'd help, place his front paws up and then hoist his back-end up into the truck.  When he got out, we'd grab his collar and throw an arm under him.  When he was ready, he'd step out and we'd guide him down.  He weighed about 129lbs and approx. 31" tall... he was tall and thin! 
I haven't tried them, but I know there are those ramps for "taller" vehicles.  I keep this in mind for when they (and us) get older and for when we find our next big boy...an Old English or Saint?!?!?!!
Big Dogs...got to love'em!!

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Appollos (GD) RIP 2001-2005

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: New (to me) SUV - DH thinks Teddy will have trouble getting in...??
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 07:23:31 am »
We have a Trailblazer which is not tall if you try to get Bear in from the door with the seats pushed up. On the very rare occasion we'll load him in that way but it is not good for his joints to hit the ground so roughly, IMO, when he exits. So, we usually load him from the back where he is able to walk up his ramp happily and painlessly. =)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Icerotti

Re: New (to me) SUV - DH thinks Teddy will have trouble getting in...??
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 07:33:25 am »
We have a Ford expedition eddie bauer. It is very high :-\ Puck is older and no longer can get in the back way. We use the side door and flip the back seat up.Then he climbs into the cargo area.  He can get in and out with no problems that way. That way he is not jumping from the back to the ground.  He never cared for a ramp. I wish he would use one.