Author Topic: Noxzema Cream on Spay Incision????  (Read 4484 times)

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
    • Life with Eclectus Parrots
Noxzema Cream on Spay Incision????
« on: October 04, 2006, 09:16:44 am »
I'm a little worried. Phoebe is going to see our usual vet tonight because the vet that did the spay/surgery just told me to put Noxzema cream on her incision where she had the spay. Noxzema>>???? I don't see how that would help her redness let alone anything. That cream stings/burns my skin when I purchased it in the past to use, I tried it once and it burned and dried out my skin. Has anyone heard of this? I'm worried. Hopefully my vet tonight will be able to tell me why she is red, why her ankle is leaking blood and why she is whining...
Megan- Mom to Phoebe(Great Dane)
Thunder (Chihuahua)
Viggo & Sula (Red Sided Eclectus Parrots)
Meisha & Sydney (Vos Eclectus Parrots)
Skaha (7-toed Polydactol Cat)

Offline DoberBaby17

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Re: Noxzema Cream on Spay Incision????
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 09:20:19 am »
Yikes!! That sounds like quite the "home remedy". Hopefully your regular vet has a better idea...

Hang in there, Phoebe. Mom's gonna take good care of you!
Stacy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
    • Life with Eclectus Parrots
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 09:28:55 am »
I thought it sounded terrible and even if it worked however that could be just the thought of the burning was too much for me. She is going in to see my vet tonight at 8pm. He's staying late to see her. I love him to bits. I just want to find out the reasons behind her redness, the bleeding ankle and the whining. I just got her to eat some rice and veggies so that's a plus. I'm pretty sure that food energy helps to heal, and since she hasn't eaten much of anything since last Thursday maybe that's part of the delay? Who knows but she's going to be seen. This is the first female dog we've ever had so the spay is so new to us not to mention deaf dog and ankle surgery and and....we're learning as we go. I guess I'm an over protective mom, maybe it's nothing but she isn't herself and I stress over her just as I do my kids.
Megan- Mom to Phoebe(Great Dane)
Thunder (Chihuahua)
Viggo & Sula (Red Sided Eclectus Parrots)
Meisha & Sydney (Vos Eclectus Parrots)
Skaha (7-toed Polydactol Cat)

Kirsti

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 09:44:44 am »
I hope all is well! Noxzema cream does sound harsh, I don't blame you for not wanting to use it.. I hope your vet can figure out what is going on and be able to help her.

~K

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 07:36:23 pm »
As a chemist, the only thing I can think of is that acne medication like noxema is supposed to dry out skin and kill infection... hence the sacylic acid and other ingredients. That may be where he was coming from. That said, I still think that is an awful choice of topical ointments to place on a spay incision! OUCH!!!  There's got to be a dozen alternatives that wouldn't sting (and cause her to want to lick it off)... vitamin E is a good idea.  I've only had female dogs, and anytime the incision appeared red it was generally because it was itchy and bothering her and so she was licking it when I had my back turned. Hopefully that's all it is in this case!  I hope for the best!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat