Author Topic: I've officially gone around the bend!!  (Read 7046 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
I've officially gone around the bend!!
« on: October 04, 2006, 11:23:12 am »
Chester was sick last night:  vomiting, diarrhea, and just generally unhappy.  It started at about 2:00 am and I don't know about you but I get the middle of the night scaries:  "he's got bloat"  "he's got gastroenteriti s", "he's got pancreatitis". "Should I take him to the emergency vet???" So, I'm out in my jamies and slippers with a flash light looking for the poop-pile to see if there is any blood (nope) and then for the vomit pile to see what's in it (nothing but slime)!  Of course, he was interested for a few minutes but he went back in to our room and went back to sleep.  I come in, am freezing cold and then have to look up bloat to see what the symptoms are (he had none of them).  I finally got back to sleep at almost 4:00, because of course I had to massage his belly just to be sure it was soft.  AGHHHH! I am a neurotic dog-mom!!!  I confess!!! :P
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:24:39 am by newflvr »

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: I've officially gone around the bend!!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 11:26:55 am »
Don't worry, you are in good company. I think there might be a few other neurotic dog-moms around here... ::) ;D

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:28:56 am »
Is he Ok now?  I'm sorry, but I am laughing- it's so something I would do too.  It's hard not to overreact b/c they can't tell you what's wrong-like, "I'm ok Mom, I just ate your lipliner and that's why there's red diarrea all over the hallway rug!"(yep, it happened, and I was convinced that McDougal was going to bleed to death and die on the spot)
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 11:34:40 am »
Is he Ok now?  I'm sorry, but I am laughing- it's so something I would do too.  It's hard not to overreact b/c they can't tell you what's wrong-like, "I'm ok Mom, I just ate your lipliner and that's why there's red diarrea all over the hallway rug!"(yep, it happened, and I was convinced that McDougal was going to bleed to death and die on the spot)
OMG!!!  That's one of the funniest things I've ever read!!!  McDougal REALLY did that??  There had to be a point where you said:  HEY!!  That color looks familiar!!! ::) ::) ::)

Yes, of course CHESTER is fine!  I'm 'dog-tired' though!!!  He only got rice and chicken for breakfast, just in case.  And in case anybody's interested:  dog beds aren't THAT comfortable to sleep in with two Newfs!!!

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 12:09:37 pm »
I can definitely relate to this too!  After everytime I feed Bella, I'm absolutely paranoid about how much she moves around before I get her into her crate for nap time. Then, if I leave, I start thinking, "what if symptoms develop and I'm not there to check?".  I also frequently check for the lump/mass on her left side they say is the first warning sign of bloat.  I was hoping that it might just be new-Mom syndrome, but maybe it's not...  :-\  I think in the long run, it's the fact that you worry that makes you a good Mom, ya know?  Even if sometimes we worry more than we need to, we're better for it!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 12:12:30 pm »
Mari... I can so relate.

We too had a long night.  Tucker's streak was broken (468 days).  In a 10-minute period he had 4 petite mals that lasted maybe 10 seconds each.  I've got to tell you it was soooo much easier than dealing with the cluster of grand mals he use to have.  For a couple hours we had to deal with typical postictal stuff so Mack and I both ended up sleeping on the nite nite with Tuc while Tyra and Scooter slept on the couch.  Too funny.... there we were two (over)grown adults on the dog's nite nite (3 crib mattress). 

Not sure if you have noticed on the K9 Epi board but it seems like there have been several pups that have been seizure free for over a year that have seized this week.  Must be something in the air.

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 12:44:06 pm »
Im sitting here in stitches!  I think perhaps this sounds like group therapy....LOL

Im not laughing at sick puppies.  Im laughing at us...lol

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 01:41:40 pm »
Im sitting here in stitches!  I think perhaps this sounds like group therapy....LOL

Im not laughing at sick puppies.  Im laughing at us...lol

Jackie

Hehehe  Group Therapy

Sounds like a great idea!  The problem is, I don't think there is a cure!!  DNA:  Dog Neurotics Anonymous!!! ;)

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 02:47:16 pm »
And of course there is the joy of the multiple dog house hold, when the herd comes thundering into the house after a rousing game of catch, and you see blood on the kitchen floor after they have passed. You trumpet "Somebody is bleeding!" The mad scramble will now ensue, as the two adults each grab a dog and the kids tag team a third in a frantic effort to see who has hurt what and assess how badly...
That group therapy thing, do you think we can get a family discount? ;)
Stella

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 02:55:53 pm »
That group therapy thing, do you think we can get a family discount

OF COURSE!  The blood thing is sort of like finding diarrhea in the yard and trying to figure what dog has an upset stomach!  Running behind and lifting tails to peek is not a pretty picture!!!

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 04:26:47 am »
Too many times on these lists we tend to be too critical.  It's good to laugh about common things with our dogs for a change.

So if it takes poop watching to trigger a good laugh, Im all for it.

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 04:30:23 am »
May I join your group also?

Last time I had Harley groomed (nice and short) I made an emergency appointment with the vet for the lump I couldn't see on Harley's butt thru all the fur.  The lump turned out to be:

His boney butt!!!

I'm glad your baby is fine and lets hope you get a good nights sleep tonight!!

Randy

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 04:39:49 am »
OMG - I can sooooo relate. I too would like to join group therapy with y'all!

First, I am a "poop-stalker." With 7 dogs in the house, I am constantly stalking one of the pups to watch them poop. Thankfully three of the dogs are chihuahuas, so when I see a questionable pile I can narrow it down to either "the bigs" or "the littles."

Also I am finder of all lumps and bumps.... pretty much on a daily basis I find, analyze, freak out about lumps and bumps on all "the bigs." I haven't found any on "the littles" yet.

And that is just the beginning....l ol
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 05:02:12 am by EllieAndBlu »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 04:54:18 am »
It's SOO nice to know I'm not alone!!  You guys make me hysterical!!! Boney butt bones, Q-tips, lumps...at least I feel somewhat normal!!!  (not too sure if that's a good thing since we all belong to the asylum!)

Kirsti

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 05:51:27 am »
Haahaa, this is too funny! I'm the same way... Sammi has a bump (or what I think is a bump) and I freak... haahaa.

~K