Author Topic: Newfie Summer Cut  (Read 26891 times)

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Newfie Summer Cut
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 04:39:14 pm »
The haircut looks really good. I believe he thinks so too. It looks like he's posing.
We always had dogs growing up. I used to eat their food with them when i was a little kid. I think any kid who is afraid of dogs is missing out on a great part of life.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 04:54:52 pm »
.....and I LOVE your garden!  It's gorgeous!  Where are you located?

Thanks!  It is a lot of work to upkeep but a really special place.  We have to enlist the help of a gardener or it would be all we worked on in our free time.  She says it is considered and "English Garden", which basically means that there's tons of plants, trees and bushes crammed into one area.  25 Japanese Maples, lots of Cherry, Apple,  and Asian Pear Trees, Blueberry bushes, and lots of roses!  Those wacky English don't know when to quit!  It was set up by the original owners of our house over a period of 9 years and now it's our charge to upkeep it.  We feel bad because theres so many plants and we don't even know what they are!  We live in Novato, California by the way.  Drake is pretty good and doesn't get too destructive, unless he's chasing Raccoons.  I have a Shutterfly photo account with some more pics of it and I can send it to the email address on your profile if you want.  Let me know.  If you go to an old posting of mine, you can get a sample:

http://bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,359.0.html
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 04:57:19 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 05:49:25 pm »
Two of my favorite things:  Newfs and gardens!!  Aren't we lucky!

How grand to have SO many plants in one place!  We've been working on our place for 14 years and I'm still putting in and pulling out!  The Newfs, for the most part have been good except when we had gophers and my female made it her business to eradicate them...by digging!  Your place truly is spectacular!  Congrats!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 11:30:27 am »
Newf..... First I want to tell you how happy I am for your puppy. I dont know if you have read on here, that I am a licensed groomer, and worked for 10 years (not full time all the time, had my other work but the last few had my own shop) and I have had so many discussions with people that are of the opinion that all our longhaired or double coated dogs are protected by the coat. I have shaved/clipped/scissored sooooo many of them, and they all act like they have a new life when they get out of all that hot fur. you get way less skin problems and they are happier dogs.

Mind you shaving a tail on a golden hahahahahaha thats a new one for me lol.....

Luvmydane..... . the zoom grooms are good, they come in different sizes the little knobs on them can be small or big and not only do they do a wonderful job with all the dead hair, it gives a great massage for the skin too.

I wonder if what you are talking about newf is either a underwool rake, or a underwool knife, there is also a thing called "matt knife" or "matt rake" also very good. I use all and love them both, they work a little different but gosh.... do they get the job done

Tell Drake he is a handsome guy and he has the summer clothes to go with it now.

Give him big slobbers

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Nicole

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 02:37:10 pm »
Newf Lover-
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I'm going to get Cabeza's done RIGHT AWAY! It looks great and so comfie!

Offline gerry

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2005, 08:09:12 pm »
A couple of pics of my niece and Damon (boerobel).  She was trying to kiss his nose.

[img width= height=]http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL420/1522477/4096695/50786456.jpg[/img]

[img width= height=]http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL420/1522477/4096695/50786421.jpg[/img]

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2005, 10:07:20 pm »
Newf..... I know what you mean now and ohhhh they are good. And haha you are so right soooo many brushes, combs and rakes for one dog. I also have all my stuff from when grooming, so I am set here. But it cant be helped I think I am a brush yunkie, I love to get new brushes, almost like buying now clothes for me lol...

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2005, 03:18:09 pm »
I was grooming Bear- getting him ready for the big trip- and boy, did we go through alot of tools. Slicker, rake, comb, thinning shears, dremell, detangler, scissors, and clippers. What a lot of work for one little doggy. ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2005, 05:25:28 pm »
"Little doggie"?  the mind boggles!!!!

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2005, 05:29:34 pm »
I know...he is little though when you see dogs that are bigger than him. It just reminds me that he is not the biggest thing in the world.
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2005, 06:51:05 pm »
It's true...Newfs aren't as big as Mt. Everest or a full grown elephant, but Cowboy has been compared to a Ford Expedition!  Small dogs have stood under him for shade at the dog park....I am SURE that the same sort of stuff happens to Bear...all the time!  It just makes me giggle to think of you calling him "small"!

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2005, 04:16:31 pm »
It makes me laugh too,...and when I call him my baby and someone is near me- they seriously look at me like I am crazy!  :D I just laugh. And yes Newflvr, it does happen all the time. He doesn't mind who is under him and on the roadtrip was over Angus alot! LOL And Bear is always compared to a small horse.
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2005, 09:01:10 am »
I know...he is little though when you see dogs that are bigger than him. It just reminds me that he is not the biggest thing in the world.

We were up at Lake Tahoe this weekend, and it was "Wow, big dog!" and "He looks like a bear", you know, the usual Newf comments.  So we and went to Tallac Park, which is one of the last dog friendly beaches in Tahoe.  After a good swim, we took Drake back to the car.  As we were drying him off, at truck passed by and the biggest Mastiff head I've ever seen was sticking out the window.  Jobe was his name and he was a mighty 207 lbs!!!  He made Drake look like a little puppy.   But it was really, really sad, he had horrible hip displaysia.  He could barely walk, much less stand.  His legs would shake and he would almost fall over after every step he took.  Sarah started crying when we drove away, it was a very upsetting thing to see.  Such a young, beautiful big dog and he is so crippled he can't play or even run with other dogs.  I've never seen such a bad case and it really opened my eyes to other people's plight.  Jobe's owners were very positive, but they probably have to talk about that every time they go out and that's all they can do to not lose it.  We feel so lucky that Drake doesn't have that problem, many big dogs do.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2005, 10:42:07 am »
Yeah, that's a good one, nice to hear.  I love it when people walk by with their dog and say, "Your dog is absolutely Beautiful!"  It is wonderful to hear but is it an obligation to return the comment to their dog?  Even if it is a mangy mutt or a little yippy toy dog?  I love ALL animals so I always say "Thanks" and at least go pet their dog, even if it is a mangy mutt.  They need love too and everyone loves their dog and likes seeing them get love from others.

Offline bigpawsadmin

• Michael~
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • This is Bear
    • View Profile
    • Website - www.michaelandjaime.com
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 07:34:10 pm »
Wow Ryen.. I'm not sure if I'm feeling that hair cut. He looks like a fat poodle!  ;D
Just trying to keep the bugs off the board!