Author Topic: Shedding...Dogue de Bordeaux Vs. Newf.  (Read 2968 times)

Offline ReneeB

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kryssie is here
    • View Profile
Shedding...Dogue de Bordeaux Vs. Newf.
« on: November 14, 2006, 03:57:47 am »
Okay so Hubby wants a Dogue de Bordeaux  and I want another Newf...( in my opinion the only thing better than one Newf would be two :D and so on...)

Hubbys main reason for only having one Newf at a time is the shedding.  We had an English Mastiff and I would swear that he was constantly shedding...com pared to the twice a year big shed that we have with our newf.  I am totally sold on Newfies however I love all dogs.  I was raised with German Sheps., imports...they were bread to be big 120#.  If memory serves they shed less than our Mastiff.

Does anyone have any experience with both breeds that can answer my question? 
Renee, (will always love and miss Brayden)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Shedding...Dogue de Bordeaux Vs. Newf.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 04:11:07 am »
I have NO experience with Dogues but am standly firmly next to you on the two-Newf experience!!!  One IS good but two is FAR better!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 04:35:31 am »
i tell you what
dalmations, dobermans, rotties, and any other short haired dog shocked the heebie jeebie out of me when i boarded them for a week or more at a time, how muh coat they lost shocked me considering they are short haired!!
thjey are just as bad.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 06:31:13 am »
I'll tell you what...since we got Lucah our floors have never looked better.  We are constantly sweeping and cleaning.  It actually is better than before we got him because we have hardwood, and you tend not to think it's dirty because you don't really see the fine layer of dust on it.

I do miss the no-shed of my old yorkie...but i think no matter what you guys get you are sure to give it great home.

Offline ReneeB

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kryssie is here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 06:44:04 am »
I have NO experience with Dogues but am standly firmly next to you on the two-Newf experience!!!  One IS good but two is FAR better!!! ;D ;D ;D

Yea, I would love to have "book-ends" like yours...my next would be brown :)
Renee, (will always love and miss Brayden)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 07:55:00 am »

Yea, I would love to have "book-ends" like yours...my next would be brown :)

Brown is good!  LOTS of energy:  but GOOD!!  GET ONE!!  I'm cheering you on!!! ;D ;D

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 03:54:40 am »
Well, in my opinion the long-haired breeds are way better than short in the way of shedding. We used to have an American Bully X (VERY short hair) and that stuff was EVERYWHERE. It wove its way into the couch fibers, too so it was nearly impossible to get out of my couch.

Cabeza's hair is pretty ubiquitous, but its much easier to clean up and deal with. And you're right, its *mostly* only twice a year.

Good luck either way. If it were me, I'd probably go with 2 Newfs, too. I love them!

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 11:30:40 am »
Brushing the long-haired shedders seems easier too since their fur easily sticks to the brush. And the brushing minimizes the twice-a-year mass of shedding. I vote for the Newf (but I'm a bit biased because I'll be a Newf owner for life).
Rosie - Newfoundland