Author Topic: Where does your dog stay while you are at work?  (Read 5445 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Where does your dog stay while you are at work?
« on: November 16, 2006, 01:26:14 am »
Gosh....I'm just full of questions today!  LOL!

Currently Teddy has his own room in the basement but I'm moving and such a room doesn't exist in the new house. 

Before I had Teddy I never had any issues with people tying their dogs outside during the day.  Now is seems kind of cruel - but is it really any worse than locking him in a room?

I have plans to babygate part of the basement to make into his area but would he be happier outside?

What do you guys do with your pups while you can't be home?
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

EllieAndBlu

Re: Where does your dog stay while you are at work?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 01:35:18 am »
Ellie was crated until she turned 16 months old (she is 3 yrs now).... then she graduated to roaming free inside with her big brother Blu.... except I do close my bedroom door as Ellie still has an appetite for pillows.

Although the yard is fenced-in, I would not feel comfortable leaving them outside all day while I was not at home... too many things could happen (someone take them,hurt them etc...)  but then again, I tend to be on an over-protective mama.  :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:39:06 am by EllieAndBlu »

Kirsti

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 01:39:47 am »
Sammi stays outside, she loves it out there, she also plays with the neighboor dogs through the fence... I've let her stay in when I'm gone, but its always nose to the door when I pick up my keys, haahaa... Whatever keeps her happy I guess...

~K

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 01:43:39 am »
Another thing I thought about.... if a dog is tethered (left on rope) outside, and danger approaches, they would not be able to get away and that would cause a huge amount of stress for the dog (depending on the pooch... a falling leaf could be considered "danger").

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 01:51:34 am »
another thought might be that they are "trying" to make it a law in some areas where it is illegal to tie your dog out.  i don't know if it is official anywhere, it seems kinda far fetched to do, but just a thought.  we don't leave out dogs outside because a lot of people think because they're "big" that they might use them to "train" their dogs to fight while we're not here.  when i lived in nc we had two different people come up in my yard with their pitbulls trying to fight them with mine... their dogs didn't win, but it caused a lot of uneasiness with out neighbors that our dogs could inflict so much damage to other animals...
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Kirsti

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 02:01:43 am »
Oh thats scary! I don't blame you for not wanting to keep you dogs outside. My yard has a 6 or more foot brick fence around it and locked gates so no one but family can come in the back... so I feel pretty safe to have Sam outside... But I totaly understand other places, I would love to be able to keep Sammi inside at all times, but she doesn't like it....

I'm not sure about the law from keeping the puppers from being tied up outside, my uncles dog would rather be tied up out front to see everything thats going on, then inside or out in back... I think its strange, but she loves it...she greets everyone when they come to the door, and if its family she'll walk in with them and 'show' them to the front room, its really cute...but she is inside for the night....
~K

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 02:11:44 am »
here's some links of cities trying to pass or have passed the law

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/NewsLaws.htm
http://www.disinfo.com/site/displayarticle17722.html

apparently california and two other states (it doesn't say which ones) have already passed this state wide law or a variation of it.

Anti-Chaining Laws Protect Dogs & People
posted by elizabethotter
on Nov 10, 2006 - 03:28 AM
Send this story to a friend Email this to a friend  Printer friendly page Print this story

by Emily Allen

Last month, California became the third state in the country to pass a statewide law restricting chaining. The bill, which outlaws the tethering of dogs for more than three hours a day, was signed into law by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who stated that it "helps protect dogs from cruelty and enhances public safety by preventing aggressive animal behavior that can result from inhumane tethering."

"The Governator," who has two dogs himself, is right on the money. Dogs are social animals who crave companionship—chaining them up for extended periods of time can turn them into ticking time bombs. Since 2003, at least 104 people have been injured or killed by chained dogs. Nearly 75 percent of those victims were children, and 11 died in the attacks.

According to the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists, intensive confinement and lack of socialization can cause dogs to become frustrated and overly protective of their little patch of ground, turning them into biters. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has found that chained dogs are nearly three times as likely to attack as those not tethered. According to another study, more than a fourth of fatal dog attacks are by dogs on chains.

Officials in Connecticut, West Virginia, and the more than 80 other jurisdictions around the country that have restricted or banned chaining report a lower number of dog bites and fewer cruelty cases since these laws passed.

One of those jurisdictions is Roanoke Rapids, N.C., which passed one of the strictest anti-chaining ordinances in the country in June. The law, which prohibits animals from being tethered for any length of time without supervision, was introduced in the wake of the mauling of a toddler by a relative's chained dog in April of last year.

The law came too late for Chunky, a lovably goofy basset hound mix I first met two years ago, when I delivered him a sturdy, custom-made doghouse and straw bedding. Before that, Chunky had only an overturned, rusty steel drum for shelter. He survived—barely—on scraps left over from his owners' meals. Chunky wasn't mad, he was just pathetic. Every time I went to visit Chunky and deliver him fresh straw and treats, he was thrilled to see me, his front paws paddling the air and his tail wagging in helicopter circles. He would roll luxuriously in the clean straw and then lean up against my legs, as if trying to physically prevent me from leaving. But I always had to go, my heart filled with lead.

Chunky died of an infection, probably parvovirus, just weeks before Roanoke Rapids' chaining ban went into effect last month. His owners called and asked PETA to retrieve his bloated body.

Fortunately, as a result of the law, many other dogs have been saved from a life of agonizing loneliness and neglect. "n the long run, it will be better for both the dogs and owners," Roanoke Rapids' lone animal control officer, Arthur Sizemore, told a newspaper reporter. "Most of the dogs are much happier now."

Two additional statewide anti-chaining bills are currently being considered in Pennsylvania and New York. The Pennsylvania bill recently got a boost when an activist rescued an elderly chained dog who a neighbor reports had been lying in the mud on his back, unable to get to his feet for several days. The dog, dubbed "Doogie" by his rescuers, made national headlines and was even featured on Inside Edition after his rescuer was charged with theft. Ironically, his owners, who left him to suffer in the mud, face no charges—but a new law might change that.

Emily Allen works for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals’ free doghouse program. Write to her at PETA, 501 Front St., Norfolk, VA 23510; HelpingAnimals .com.

steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 02:58:14 am »
Both my dogs have been kept in crates until they were trustworthy enough to give them free roam of hte house.  With Pepper, she started sleeping in my room (no crate at about 8 months) but still had to be crated during the day for another 8 months or so.  Bella is crate while I'm at work; obviously at 4 months I would come home to absolute disaster if I left her out. I feel equally scared about leaving my dog outside while I'm gone.  My parents bought a dog door insert for their sliding glass door for our Golden Retreievers. That way during the day they could go in and out while we were gone, and certainly be able to run in the house if they felt threatened.  That might be another option if you feel you could trust Teddy enough. 
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 03:18:53 am »
LOL!  There is NO WAY that Teddy is getting free run of the house!  LOL!  He's a big thief now, even when he's supervised!

I worry that someone would steal him.  :'(

I guess I'll just go with my first reaction and make him a place in the house where he is secure and safe while I'm away. 

Thanks for the input all!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 03:38:35 am »
It depends on the length of time for my turkeys. If it's a couple of hours...4 max, they're allowed roam of the house. Anything longer, and they get their condo.

Josh and I built the pups a 20 x 20 enclosure (complete with chainlink floor....let's see the digger's get outta that!) and then an 8 x 6 condo. It's got a carpet floor (astroturf) a door, and the rest is closed off to the elements.

We live very remote, so pup-napping isn't a real big concern...besi des which, I'm pretty sure Apollo would leave them pulling back bloody stumps. We've got a heavy duty lock that we put on the door when we're gone, so I'm pretty confident of their safety. The enclosure is 8.5 feet tall, so nothing's climbing in either.

I'd love to leave them free roam of the house all day, but Onyx was a woodchuck in a former life, and sees fit to redesign our furniture at every oppertunity.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 03:41:16 am by Leah-n-boy-os »
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 03:53:25 am »
When we aren't home we usually let Zoey roam the house. But if she is acting untrustworthy, we put her in our bedroom - since she sleeps with dan and i in the bedroom at night, she sees it as our den and respects it more than any other space in the house.

I would never leave her outside because I just dont trust that it is a safe place for her without me there to watch her.
RIP former BPO

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 05:19:11 am »
The biggest issue I have with leaving a dog outside when you're not there is safety.  There are just too many things that could happen.  They could get loose and lost, hit by a car, stolen, poisoned, heatstroke in the summer, hypothermia in the winter, and many other things I don't even want to think about.

You can control the environment inside you home and make sure that it is a safe place for your dog ... whether that be a special area, or crate, or whatever. 

Our dogs stay different places, depending on how long they're alone and the circumstances.  We have a dog room where they stay sometimes, and sometimes Keagan and Kiden just get free roam of the house.  Kwellen is still a baby, baby, so she uses her crate when we are not home.  At some point she'll transition to the same privledges as the others.  This method seems to have worked really well for us ... the pups are happy, and we have a lot less worries! 

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I would never leave mine outside if i was not at home. I just moved but at the old house 2 were left in a hallway and 1 left in the kitchen.I m having a tile floor put in the kitchen right now but i think i m going to try putting all 3 of them together. When Bryce was a puppy milo tryed to control him 2 males i think Bryce has grown up quite a bit.I m  going to start a little bit at a time we will see!Bryce loves to put his lips on everything milo would poo if let lose to run around on his own freya would take something out of the garbage and shred it up! They can't wait to show me what they have been up to. Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 07:05:21 am »
I love this question- Annie and Garrett stay in my bedroom. Jake and Bailey in the main part of the house. The Pyrs - well they are outside- thier choice, they insist. I do have a 320 foot enclosure that I have invested a lot of money in, but they seem to still be able to get out-( I am trying to Pyr proof the enclosure now)  We are also working on the condo for them which is inside the enclosure. Dakota, the old Pyr has panick attacks if she is in the enclosure. Her job is to guard the drive way. When it is nice enough for Jake and Bailey to also be outside- it is for short periods of time and the enclosure is padlocked. I do not live in the city, that helps. Also My kids are here a lot when I am not here. I actually dread the day when there is no one home during the day.

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 10:51:02 am »
We leave Sheba upstairs because she's trustworthy, but Anna Banana stays downstairs in the basement (complete with pillow, water, chew toys and music on) where she destroys her Dad's sneakers :)
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline sisdew

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 11:14:34 am »
Everyone has listed the safty of the dog, which I completely agree.  But another fear I alway had was that they would get barking and disturb the neighbors.  My dogs have always gotten along with the neighbors, didn't want to cause a problem they could complain about.  I never had any problems my dogs were always left indoors with free run of the house.  We sometimes had a basket to pick up but never had any major problems.  I worked for quite a while, as did my husband and the kids were in school, so often it was a 6 hour stay in.
We have a new guy now and he's a year old, too old to start a crate, am thinking of putting him in a room alone for a while when we have to leave him, mainly to see how he behaves.  If he passes the test he will be given free rein of the house, other wise he will stay in a single room.