Author Topic: Sheep and the Sheepish Pyr  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Pyr1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Sheep and the Sheepish Pyr
« on: July 04, 2005, 10:09:43 pm »
Just wondering what reactions none working Pyrs have when exposed to Sheep or other livestock. Has anyone taken a family pet Pyr to a farm? What has been the reaction, of the Pyr and the livestock? How do Pyrs react to herding dogs at work?

Thanks
Pry1
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
- Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Sheep and the Sheepish Pyr
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 10:28:21 pm »
I have never had the oppertunity but I would love to!...Samson comes from LONG lines of gaurding stock on both his mom & dads side..He lived with the sheep where he came from for his 1st 3 months...His protection instinct is extra sharp...I bet he would know just what to do!

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 06:09:29 am »
I took Busa to a pyr picnic at a farm. There were about 30 pyrs there none were working dogs. All the dogs ran around and  played together in a large fenced area. There were goats, sheep and cows on the other side of the fence. While the other dogs were playing, Busa kept wandering over to the edge of the fence to bark at them. He never got very close to them but he was barking all day........... .............w ait a minute, thats what he does everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is quite a barker.

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 01:22:30 pm »
Well if there are any BPO's that live in my area (Central California near Fresno) then they are welcome to come to my place to give it a try.  We have a 2 acre spread with about 10 sheep all fenced in.  The grass is green and it is easily controlled as the sheep cannot head for the hills and not come back.  If any get loose I head out with my small tractor and Niki just comes along and gently herds.  I never really taught her, she just always is there and figures out what needs to be done.  Sometimes she figures wrong but at least she tries.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 04:07:26 pm »
I would recommend you join us at Pyr Talk.  It is a list set up for the use of Pys as guardians.  We have many educated people there that can be of help to you with this question.

If you would like to join us you can do so by emailing me at tanimara@townsqr.com and I'll send you an invite.

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux