Author Topic: "scouts" behavior problem  (Read 4052 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
"scouts" behavior problem
« on: January 05, 2007, 02:47:02 pm »
ok, so i found the only behavior problem that REALLY gets to me with scout.  i can handle her sleeping in the bed, i don't mind as long as hubby isn't there.  i don't mind her getting on the couch, all our dogs do.  i don't even mind the getting nose to nose with me, or counter surfing.  i can even handle her putting her head on my lap while i'm at the table eating.  the one thing i DO mind though, is her stealing.  i don't mean stealing a sock off the floor, i mean like i'm eating a nutter butter and have it in my mouth while i put a dvd in and she jumps on me, and takes it.  wrapper and all.  no warning.  i go to the fridge to get meat out, and turn around, she runs across the room and steals it right out of my hand.  she'll give it back, but honestly after she's slobbered on the hamburger meat, i just DON'T want it back, but i'll take it back just for the fact of the matter.  it wouldn't be hard for me to fix if she'd give me some sort of warning, but she doesn't.  i can't crate her or put her outside whenever i have food out, because honestly, with my kids there is ALWAYS some sort of cooking, or something going on.  defrosting supper, etc.  i've tried to get her to go away whenever we have food out, but she puts all her weight towards NOT moving.  it's impossible, and i've spent the past few days, at every meal and snack, with one hand out holding her collar to keep her away.  does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?  it's hard for me to figure out what to do because of the fact she doesn't give me warning.  it's not an aggressive or dominant act, more excitement over the fact of how much she LOVES food.  i've tried to sit stay and rewarding her with a treat once she's being good, but it ends up with me telling her sit stay every time i take a bite. 

modified because i wanted to put in that she won't take food off the counter, but she does like to stick her head in the oven and dishwasher when i'm either cooking or doing dirty dishes.  i feed her three times a day (morning, afternoon, and night) just like my other dogs, so i know it's not she's hungry.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 02:48:17 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: "scouts" behavior problem
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 02:55:59 pm »
unfortunately gates will stop her with ANYthing except food.  :(  no luck there...  and that was my last nutter butter too :P
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 03:48:34 pm »
What about "setting her up"?  Have something really tempting and then be ready for her with a water gun or balloon popping or something?

Probably not the "right" way to train her but its an idea.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 03:54:16 pm »
that might work, i'm going to try that!  just be on the lookout and ready to catch her coming.  what do you think i should do about her pushing her weight and refusing to leave the dining room when we eat?  im probably going to have to crate her for meals, she flips out when she can't see us, so i can't put her in anothe room.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 04:22:53 pm »
YOu need to OWN the dining room.In other words. make a practice of not letting her in that room unless you say so.

Start without any food issue??

Otherwise I agree you should set her up.I don't think she's hungry.She just wants what she wants when she wants it.
 ;D ;D

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 04:26:05 pm »
the crate it is tonight for supper!  i'm so mad, i just found out she steals from everyone, BUT my 1 year old.  he walked right past her with a cookie and she didn't even look at him.  he did this while he ate the whole thing, for about 20 minutes.  she tried to steal mine and aiden's.  maybe it's because he's so much lower than her nose/eye sight???
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 04:33:17 pm »
she can't be in another room without a person, unless she's crated.  last time i tried that she tried to eat my door frame.  i'm definately going to try to catch her, i'd like to see her face when i do!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 04:46:26 pm »
that would work if i keep her in sight.  our crate is only about 5 ft from our table (right by our back door, thats why its there ha ha) so i think i'm going to try that, and when we're not at the dining room table, i'm going to tie a bell to her collar so i know when she's coming, that way it won't be stealth mode running!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 04:48:31 pm »
When we are eating, memphis trys to get as close as possible... sometimes he will even try to steal from the plates.  what we do is... we WILL throw him a peice of food... but something he wont like, for example, a pickle or hot pepper. he than spits it out and goes and pouts hahaha. its mean, but it worked ;)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 05:14:48 pm »
HAHAH its so fun to do that. i will have to get it on video tomorrow maybe :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 06:15:33 pm »
squirt bottles worked with zero when he was young, but then he became agressive towards sprays... so we can't use them :(
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo