Author Topic: Dog hemorrhoids, anyone? UPDATED  (Read 3314 times)

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Dog hemorrhoids, anyone? UPDATED
« on: January 26, 2007, 06:54:37 pm »
Star (Dane) has a protrusion from her butt. It actually coming out of her anus, rather than alongside of it. She's been licking it a lot, so I put witch hazel on it, and she's stopped licking it so much. It's reddish/pinkish, if that helps anyone figure out what it is!

We will take her to the vet tomorrow morning, but has anyone's dog had this? It looks like a hemorrhoid (although I've never actually seen one before :D!). There's no smell like I would expect if it were an impacted anal gland (although Max shows sudden interest in her butt when he gets close to herĀ  ::)).

She hasn't had any change in her diet, and has been pooping normally as far as I know. Everything else is normal-eating, sleeping drinking, fighting with Max, velcro, etc.

Any ideas? Should I take her to the emergency vet tonight?

Thanks in advance
Tracy

UPDATE: Vet said she didn't know exactly what it was. Not a prolapse, but Star's anal glands needed to be expressed so they did that (free of charge, may I add!). They recommended we watch the lump to see if it gets bigger.

Thanks for all the replies!

Tracy
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 11:36:57 am by mtaig12 »
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Dog hemorrhoids, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 07:44:04 pm »
I don't want to scare you at all but it kind of sounds like a rectal prolapse.  I would be headed to the emergency clinic if it was one.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
Re: Dog hemorrhoids, anyone?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 07:44:39 pm »
Its funny- I was just asked the same question yesterday by a cat owner!  As it turned out, Wimpy (her cat) had an abcessed anal gland.

Weedsport, NY

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Dog hemorrhoids, anyone? UPDATED
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 07:45:06 pm »
Cirra recently recovered (last week) from a very similar sounding condition.  We had the anal glands expressed but the reddish/pink tissue swelling of the anus did not go down in time, so we went back in to the vet.  She got better after the vet trimmed (not shaved) the longer hair there and gave us an ointment called Tritop.  We only put it on once daily.  That stuff lessened the swelling in 2 days and she has a normal appearance one week later.  We think she strained and slightly prolapsed but then stayed irritated due to anal glands filling, draining, etc.  Hope it is as easy as that for your pup!