Author Topic: my horrible week is complete...  (Read 5968 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
my horrible week is complete...
« on: February 15, 2007, 11:46:44 am »
so this last week my lines outside got jerked around in a storm, and so my phone and my internet got messed up.  the day they were supposed to come out to fix it, the weather acted up again so they had to reschedule, long story short, i got my phone back but not my internet, because i didn't realize i forgot what our password for our internet is.  THEN, out pipes froze a little.  i couldn't get any water to work in our house for a "whole" day and when hubby got home he went to the bathroom (i always knew he was full of hot air) and they started working again ???  so THEN, yesterday, it has been decided that scout must go to a new home without kids.  aiden sat next to her and apparently sat on her foot (nothing is wrong with it, she just doesn't like kids touching her at all) and bit aiden.  not like a nip, i mean like aiden wasn't even looking at her and she took the back half of his head in her mouth.  luckily, she didn't bite down hard enough to do any real damage, and only left two scratches on his head.  she's ONLY like this with kids so it's really frustrating b/c the guy told us she was great with them.  everyone agrees that it's time for her to go to a "no kid house."  anyone interested??  also, last night we cooked chicken strips in the deep fryer.  well, apparently it smelled SO good b/c while i was waiting for it to cool off all the way i took a bath and diesel knocked the deep fryer off the counter and licked up every bit of oil that got ANYwhere in the kitchen.  funny, yes, but he is now barfing everytime he moves.  the vet says to just give him some time and bland food.  on a high note, i got on to hubby for spending $20 on a lottery ticket, and afterwards he called me back to tell me he won $500 off of it  :o  just goes to show bad luck can pick just one person in a couple ha ha.  i missed you guys so much this week!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

EllieAndBlu

Re: my horrible week is complete...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 12:00:38 pm »
OMG, Steffanie - you've had quite a week. I wondered what happpened to you.

Sorry to hear about all the weather-related issues... and am more sorry to hear about Scout. I am glad Aiden only got a couple of scratches.

Are you going to try to re-home Scout yourself? I really wish I could help you out but my roommate are at our limits with 7 dogs in the house and some of them are a little on the tempermental side when it comes to other dogs.

Poor Diesel's tummy... I can imagine it is a bit upset after his oilfest.... At least he cleaned up after himself by licking up every drop!  :)

Next week is bound to be better!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:01:23 pm by EllieAndBlu »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 12:17:30 pm »
yes, we are rehoming scout ourselves.  unfortunately, i called the rescue that scout came from and they're not answering the phones... at all  ???  so now we are looking for responsible people who want a dane.  thankfully, there's a "shortage" of danes in atlanta area (there's always someone looking for one) so the only problem with be weeding out the bad people.  she's a great dog other than her problem with kids, so as long as they don't have any small kids (over 5 would be good, that's a good age when they can really understand they have to start calming down, i think, although i would really rather it be a kid free home)  and she's already spayed, housetrained, AND has all her shots.  we just all feel it's a time bomb with her around our kids now.  we've really tried to work with her, but hubby is really unhappy about her right now, and i can understand why. it really upset me about aiden too, especially since i know for a fact this time all he did was lean a little on her foot (i was sitting on the other side of him).  i guess it has to be that she doesn't like kids, though, because any adult can sit or lay on her with no problem and not one sign of wanting to be mean from her. the lottery ticket was definately a "happy" for us.  maybe now i could pay a rescue to take her??
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 12:30:26 pm »
oh geez Steff, im sorry about your rough week. i really hope it gets better...
its too bad about scout...  i hope you can find her a great home. im just glad she didnt hurt your boy...  if u need to talk. u know how to find me :)

jodi
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 12:49:53 pm »
i forgot to mention i also wanted to ask for everybody's help with diesel again.  he's still not gaining weight.  we're feeding him 1 can of innova evo (it's the only canned innova i can get at the store i go to get diesel's food at) that has 520 calories per can, and then also he eats about 4 to 5 cups of innova adult dog food that has 557 calories per cup per day, so he's getting about 3,027 calories per day, plus he gets a few scraps to try to give him a few more calories.  his poop is great, no problems there.  he still has a go from the vet that he is COMPLETELY healthy, he just is still skin and bone.  he's been wormed for every possible worm he could have, but he still isnt' gaining weight, and he looks so aweful.  i can't get him to eat more than he already his, because it's an outrageous amount to start with for him.  when he's done eating half of his food (he gets half in the morning and half at night) his tummy is rock hard and you can just tell there's no more room, i hold water an hour and half before eating and then another hour and a half afterwards because i'm worried with him eating so much he'll bloat easily.  on the website, it says if i'm mixing dry and canned food he should get 2488 calories per day (this is if he eats 2 1/4 cups dry food and 2 3/8 cans canned and this is if he is extremely active, which diesel isn't) and do fine, but it just isn't working that way.  he isn't barfing his food up, it just seems like his body isn't absorbing what he needs.  any ideas??
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:52:17 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 12:59:53 pm »
Sorry to hear about your horrible week, hopefully Aiden knows that the other dogs won't do that too. As for Diesel, I discovered this week (the bf did really) that Phelan will clean his bowl if a couple tablespoons of bacon grease are added to his food-normally i wouldn't recommend it but it the other choice is not eating...Also I found out that he likes the Cats' wet food. It may be because it's not his but he will go to their bowls to see if they left any so maybe you can find more kitty innova?

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 01:04:51 pm »
we got diesel to start eating again last week with the canned innova, not sure how long that will last though.  it has a really meaty smell and absolutely no grains in it although i do feel like the price is too high ($20 for 12 cans :o), i'm just a little worried because he's not gaining weight even though he's eating so much and taking in so many calories.

modified because i wanted to put in that i just got a call from a woman who has a dane and wants a companion for him.  she doesn't have any kids either, so maybe it'll work out for everyone?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:08:13 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 01:08:37 pm »
Are you mixing it with the dry? I use it like a gravy, watering it down and mixing it over the dry so 12 cans can last most of the month.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 01:11:56 pm »
This may sound bad but how is his poop? It sounds like he either has a really fast metabolism or he isn't absorbing the nutrients in his intestines. Has he been checked for that?

Tim (my husband) had a dog that couldn't keep the weight on and they added her fat to her food (like butter ect to add weight on her) and it worked wonders.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 01:15:47 pm »
yes, i am mixing his wet and dry food, and i also add just a little water so he can't pick and choose the wet food ha ha.  diesel's poop is fine, it's got good form and it's not bad smelling (for poop at least).  our vet has checked him for hook worms, whip worms, tape worms, etc.  nothing.  is there anything non worm that could cause him not to absorb stuff?  maybe i could bring it up to my vet when i go, although we've been through just about everything i think.  i really think it's more than diesel has a fast metabolism because he doesn't act sick.  he acts fine, just skinny.  he's coat is shiny, his eyes are bright, he plays a lot, etc.  how would i do the butter idea?  just melt it and mix it in?  would that cause him to get diahhrea?  thanks for that suggestion, maybe i should look more at the fat content and less at the calories?  i'm not very good with how that works, so if more fat would help instead of a gazillion calories please let me know, i always try to lose weight not gain it ha ha.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:17:03 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 01:25:38 pm »
Personally I would look more at the fat content and less at the calories.

As for intestinal conditions, I know there are some in humans that cause people to not absorb food so I would think there are some in animals as well. But where his poop is looking good I think you could rule that out. I think he must just have a fast metabolism (wish I had that problem  ;)) I would try and add more fat to his diet. I can't think of any food off the top of my head. We feed Innova Evo Red Meat diet not sure on the fat content of that, but our 2 just love it. Have you ever thought of green tripe? I have heard that it works wonders for some dogs.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 01:27:24 pm »
honestly, scout's not skittish... at all.  i think that's actually a part of the problem, because she knows their smaller than her and she's not willing to accept that their boss and she's not willing to curb her attitude towards them, even after positive food training with aiden.  we tried several training ideas, but this is too much for us to risk.  i'm waiting to hear back from that woman, i just sent her pics, so hopefully it'll work out for everyone.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

marypyrs

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 02:11:57 pm »
I'm sorry to hear your having so many problems. And I hope everything works out well for Scout.

I've been thinking of Diesel too. And wonder if it would be possible to start giving him four (or even three) smaller meals a day rather than two? And also if ground lamb might agree with his system? I buy mine in bulk from a local farmer (as well as bison, chicken & turkey) and it's far less expensive than high end canned food. Just a thought. I know it's a worry. The lamb seems to be easy on the tummy.

Hope your end of this week goes better than the start.  :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 02:17:33 pm »
the ground lamb is a thought, i know he won't eat a lot of meats, but i could try that.  i wonder if it would help him gain weight also.  i've also tried to split his meals up into 3 times a day, but he won't eat that often.  i've tried feeding him at 6am, then 1pm then at 8ish, but he won't do it.  after the first two meals he's done and won't even look at his food for the rest of the day.  hubby says it's just because he's growing in height so fast, but he looks so nastily skinny.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 03:46:43 pm »
i'm so frustrated right now, in two hours i've had 15 people contact me about scout.  so far we've narrowed it down to about 5 people   :-[  i know people are interested in her, but it's kinda hard to give her up, not to mention get the bad people out the mix.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)