Author Topic: Any Fish Members Out There?  (Read 2878 times)

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Any Fish Members Out There?
« on: February 19, 2007, 08:30:37 am »
I have a 35g tank which I have 2 toonie size Angel fish, I am wanting to bring in 2 more but they are larger and a pair, here is my question will the 2 new ones coming in kill my smaller ones? In this tank I also have 3 jumbo Danios and pleco and 2 redtail sharks. Thanks to anyone that can help me  ???
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Any Fish Members Out There?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 08:49:19 am »
Wouldn't be an ideal situation.  Angels are cichlids and will fight when breeding (I've also read that male angels can not coexist at any time in a small tank).  I think a 35 is probably only good for a single pair.  Any chance you could pick up another tank (maybe a 20G?) for the smaller pair?
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 09:13:08 am »
i don't have angels, we have a whole tank of african cichlids, but i found this information.

Compatibility
Either one Angel to an aquarium or more than 3. Angels are Cichlids and like most Cichlids, if you keep just 2 or 3 in the same aquarium, the strongest one will make the others miserable. Angels do very well in a group with 6 or more Angels in a large aquarium with at least 50 gallons of water that is at least 18" deep.

Here is a list of tropical fish that are usually compatible with Angel Fish: Silver Dollars, Bigger Tetras such as Black Skirts, Serpaes, and Silver Tips, Corydoras Catfish, Livebearers such as Platies, Swordtails, and Mollies, but not Guppies which may be eaten by Angels, and one Plecostomus Catfish.

Angel Fish are often seen in aquariums with Gouramis, Giant Danios, Rainbows, a group of Bala Sharks, and a group of Clown Loaches.

As Angel Fish grow larger, they become very efficient at stalking and eating small fish like Guppies and Neon Tetras. So they are not compatible tank mates for these fish. Click here to read more about several other groups of compatible fish.

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/cichlids_neotropical/angels_assorted.htm
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 09:31:23 am »
Too bad you're not a little closer. I have several tanks I'm not using as we have downsized. I could have fixed you up with one. We have Angels and they are territorial.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 01:54:25 pm »
Thanks so much for the link and helping. I went and picked up the pair last night and they are veiled marbles(does that sound right?) So far last night and today there haven't been any troubles, the toonie ones can hold there own as the one is after the large female(young male~maybe?)The large male does nothing really except swim around,he looks alittle ragged as the bottom of his wings are alittle tattered, when the female has had enough she just turns around, she is pretty. Hubby has corrected me our smaller tank is a 30g and the one with the angels is a 50g what do I know ::) I just get the fish that look pretty  ;). Tried to bring up that we might want to get another tank to hubby and he just laughted ~ so we'll have to wait and see. Oh ya my giant Danios are turning colour, the bottom and fins are going red does this happen when they mature? I HATE my hubbys redtail sharks(just thought I'd share that with you)they are mean and nasty!!
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 01:57:36 pm »
LOL Libby, its call MTS - multiple tank syndrome and the best of us get it.  I'm currently working on tank #3 for some Lake Tanganika shelldwellers.  Here is a pic of my big tank (50G) when i set it up in december - all live plants!  Its really starting to fill in nicely now!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 02:01:59 pm »
MTS is very contagious.  i have a 1 1/2 gallon, a 5 gallon, a 55 gallon and a 72 gallon tank.  UGH.  i think i need to give my 55 away before i don't just switch my african's over and fill it up too!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 02:04:36 pm »
Oh pretty, I'd like to see more pics of your tanks, what did you put ont the back to cover the glass? Hubby and I cannot agree so we've just left the see through glass and I hate it.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 02:19:35 pm »
i don't know about penny, but we paint the back of our tanks.  this way the back ground won't slip or slide, and also the solid color (we like black b/c it shows our fish off better, but also have a dark blue on our 55) doesn't make the tank look cluttered.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 02:28:29 pm »
Mine is actually just dark blue bristol board taped on the back!  LOL!