Author Topic: Doberman or Dane?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline c1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Doberman or Dane?
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:44:43 am »
I am looking to get a dog and am having trouble deciding between a Doberman or a Great Dane. I have researched both of them.  I just lost my 7 month old Doberman pup because some *&^%#@$ idiot let him out of my house and he was ran over.  It was a hard loss, but I am now looking for a replacement. Just wanting some more personal information about the breeds.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Doberman or Dane?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:18:58 am »
Well, my first dog is/was a Doberman, a red male. His name is Coen, he lives with my mom. He is a super dog... Super full of energy, Super full of love, Super full of health issues... lol. He is a very smart dog, and will please to no end... he is a suck and carries his blanket from one side of the living room to the next, so he can lay in the sunshine. I love him to peices. and he and zero (and jigsaw too) are best buds... But, unfortunately, he does have health problems, mainly thyroid. hes got barely any hair, its VERY thin. he is pretty over weight, ok, hes like 70 some pounds, but hes shorter than the average dobe, so u can see the fat hahaha. He has little sores all over his hips... but getting from the right breeder should make a difference in the health ;) But other than that hes perfect ;)
my second (and third) dog, when i moved out, the boyfriend said he wanted great danes. So- thats what we got.  Zeus, a 2 year old rescue boy and Memphis who was just 7 weeks at the time... great dogs, the two both had very different personalities. Zeus was very outgoing, where as memphis was very laid back...  Zeus passed away at four years old, we only had him two years... and memphis had a very drastic change in personality afterwards... he got very depressed, he gained alot of weight (hes currently 182lbs). he is VERY large, and takes up alot of "laying down space" i call it... He normally has his own couch, but we had to get rid of it, because he distroyed it (with his weight) and our bull terrier puppy got stuck in the springs.  So we have two of those cushons and a pillow and a huge blanket in one side of the room, and DAILY he moves it right in the middle of the kitchen, and our kitchen is not big at all, so its VERY hard to get around him. If i raise my voice, he will cower and shake like i hurt him. He screams and crys if left alone. he is a VERY Big suck. But he does eat alot more than the average "large dog", so his size and his appetite (and the fact hes a very big suckky) are part of the down fall. Not to mention the vet bills are more costly, b/c of his size everything costs more.
BUT, i love both my danes and my doberman... They are Wonderful dogs. I just thought i'd give ya my thoughts ;)

Jodi
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline c1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 12:12:08 pm »
Does either of them fit the companion type of dog more?  I am  am looking for something that will be my "buddy"(I guess is the word for it).

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:18:18 pm »
all the danes i've ever met were very family oriented, and always following their families around.  diesel (our dane) ALWAYS wants to be with us, and only wants "alone" time when he doesn't feel good or the kids are super duper loud. haven't had may experience with dobermans so i can't help you there though.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 12:55:55 pm »
Considering I've never had a dane I say go for the dobe!
They really are an awesome breed, I got lucky and got a laid back one. She's very content to lay on the couch all day but sometimes she won't stop bugging me until I play with her, her fav game with me is "hide and seek" it's really cute! lol She's an awesome people/family dog and very lovey especially to me. Dobies rock!
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:03:14 pm »
I have never had a doberman- But Jake is my Buddy. Jake is now a little over 2 and one of the most devoted dogs that I have ever had the pleasure of sharing my couch with on a regular basis. I have 2 other Danes in the house right now- both of them are rescues- The male is really clingy and the little female just needs to be constantly reassured that her life is not going to drastically change any time soon.
Again Jake is my guardian and my buddy. He is extremely devoted and protective. I hope that the Danes in my far away future are as wonderful as the Jake man. Good luck on which ever one you choose- I think that they are both wonderful breeds of dogs.