Author Topic: multiple dog drama  (Read 2123 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
multiple dog drama
« on: March 27, 2007, 07:17:34 am »
 I posted the other day about having a "bad dog day", well, im sorry to say that it is turning into a bad dog WEEK. for one thing, it has been soooo dreadfully rainy for the last week, and thanks to the dogs endless digging, our back yard is a muddy mess. and everytime they come inside from going potty, that muddy mess gets into the house no matter how much i clean their feet. Also, sophie ate hubbies computer wire and he is less than thrilled. he really got super mad and was talking about wanting to get rid of her,and how he has never liked her, blah blah blah. and she is also still tearing wallpaper offin our kitchen every second our eyes are turned.
 i am feeling very frustrated and think i might strangle all 3 dogs and hubby too at any moment.
 there are some things that i know my dogs need :
 more exercise. longer, more frequent walks.
 and more more more training.
i am finding it very difficult to train multiples though. do you guys try to train all your dogs together or do you do it seperately? my dogs listen pretty well when they are alone but when they are all together it is just a mess and they dont listen. if one of them is in a room and tries to chase a cat,we can get them to "leave it" but if its all three in a room, it is just out of control. same thing for jumping up on people.  i am just feeling overwhelmed and i feel like i am doing everything wrong with these dogs.
 so, any advice, encouragement, anything??? im desperate!
  Leah

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: multiple dog drama
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 07:34:44 am »
we do single and multiple training.  once we know that each dog knows the commands, we do multiple but we also do refresher courses.  for the "leave it" try tossing a piece of food or a toy before you introduce a cat.  then if they go for it, stand up quickly go "EHHHHHHH NO, leave it!" and take it away.  if they do it, treat them.  also, may want to try to crate the cat so the cat can't run and instigate them until they learn what leave it means.  for jumping on people, i've heard that putting a baby gate up between them and the front door helps b/c then they "typically" won't jump up on the gate, and if they do they get corrected but the people still won't get jumped on.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 07:53:34 am »
 Thanks for the replies! I will DEFINITELY get some of that critter cord stuff. its exactly what i need. i didnt even know there was anything like that. thanks so much for the link.
  i do confine my dogs when im not home, but sophie, my problem canine, will chew stuff when we are home but in a different room. and i just cant imagine trying to confine her every single time i step out of her sight, ya know. my other dogs seem to do okay when left alone for short times. but sophie will get into and chew everything. we do keep a lot of bones around. we cant really keep toys out when they are alone because that chew them up and eat them.
 i will definitely start upping the ammount of training though.
 thanks again

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 07:56:47 am »
does she have anxiety problems?  also, you may want to try keeping her in the same room as you.  that way you can catch her EVERY time she looks like she wants to chew something.  she may not do it right away, but after a while the "need to chew" a bad thing will win over and you'll be right there to catch her!  btw jenn, that's a great link!  i've never seen that before either, sure would have been nice to know about that when axle was growing up!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 08:00:27 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 10:07:56 am »
I've only successfully run one training session with all 3 of my dogs at the same time.  I was so proud of them for actually listening.  But you have to be really quick to reward the two that are staying while you work with one of the others.  Generally I will train them and ask each one for a different behavior but they are all together and it's not a formal training session. 

I will say that because I have elderly cats and my dogs can play way too rough that they only get one chance with the leave it command around the cats.  If they keep up with an actual chase then I pull out the water gun.  They can lick, smell, and stand close to the cat but they aren't allowed to paw, chase, or mouth the cat.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 10:19:31 am »

they only get one chance with the leave it command around the cats.  If they keep up with an actual chase then I pull out the water gun

i LOVE that!  you say (type) it so seriously like they're in big trouble, but it made me laugh ha ha
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)