Author Topic: Has anyone's skin kids had this?  (Read 3753 times)

Offline gerty647

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Has anyone's skin kids had this?
« on: April 25, 2007, 04:31:14 pm »
I took my 14 yo into the orthodontist today to get her palate expander put in,She also had something put across her bottom jaw because they will be pulling 2 bottom teeth soon and they don't want her molars to move forward,My question is;is it normal for her to feel like she's having trouble swallowing?
And how long does should it take for her to talk normal?
I feel so sorry for her,she already had her bottom braces on and this is so they can put the top braces on in July.
She asked me today if she could pick up radio reception or make the alarms go of at the store.
Thanks,Jackie
Annabelle-Otterhound mix
Ruffles-Kitty

Michigan

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Has anyone's skin kids had this?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 04:35:43 pm »
well, when i had braces, it was very awkward to swallow, and took a while to adjust to.  esp. when they did something new, and stuff started adjusting again.  that could be why she's feeling like she's having probs swallowing.  i'd just give it a few days or a week and see if she's still having probs, then go and ask the orthodontist.  as for the talking, it took me a few days to get used to it.  about a week when they adjusted and pulled teeth.

p.s.-  no, she won't set alarms off, but if you want to freak her out get her one of those new tooth brushes from wal mart that play music and just unwrap it and don't tell her ha ha.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 04:36:56 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 04:43:45 pm »
I had to have one of those things in my mouth before I got my braces.  Yes, initially, I had trouble swallowing.  It just takes a bit of time for your tongue to adjust to its new space restrictions.  I would cry about it when I had mine, after a few days I got used to it.  She may not talk normal for a couple of weeks, it takes some getting used to.
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline gerty647

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 04:46:10 pm »
She's had the bottom braces in for about a month,and she's gotten used to them,but now with the palate expander she has a whole new set of problems.
Please don't believe that I actually though she would set an alarm off,But earlier I was kidding with her and told I was picking up some wierd noise on my cell,So I told her to keep backing up til it cleared up.I did let her know I was kidding.
Annabelle-Otterhound mix
Ruffles-Kitty

Michigan

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 04:47:26 pm »
lmao how wrong.  when i had mine, i had something in my pocket the first time i went to wal mart (can't remember what it is now though) and it set the alarm off when i walked in.  i wanted to cry lmao.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 07:17:21 pm »
My daughter had all the goodies: palate expander, bottom spacers, surgery and a chain to pull a tooth down from her upper palate.  It takes a while to get used to all that hardware.  Her tongue is probably cramped in her mouth, hence the swallowing difficulty.  It usually took my daughter about a week to 'schtop schpitting' and talking funny!  If she's having any discomfort with it all, ibuprofen before turning the palate spreader and before appointments really helps.
Just remind her of how beautiful her smile will be after the torture is done!!
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline gerty647

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 09:29:49 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice,It made her feel better to know that others have gone through it and it's not going to last forever!
Annabelle-Otterhound mix
Ruffles-Kitty

Michigan

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 11:14:47 am »
is the piece in her mouth a "W" wire?
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline gerty647

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 12:18:50 pm »
No,
She has the palate expander on the top,bottom braces and a fixed lingual.The last one is to keep her molars from shifting when they pull her bicuspids.
Annabelle-Otterhound mix
Ruffles-Kitty

Michigan