Author Topic: lazy dog syndrome...??  (Read 7081 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
lazy dog syndrome...??
« on: May 06, 2007, 03:34:20 am »
hubby and i were talking the other night, and he laughed b/c i complained that our dogs never do anything but decorate the floors / furniture.  he asked me what exactly i expected, and i admitted, i wanted them to play or do something...  anything!  does anyone else's dogs have lazy dog syndrome, and is there any hope??   ;)  even diesel, caine, and peanut have caught it (diesel and caine turn 1 this month and peanut is 6 months) and sleep ALL day and ALL night.  even when they go potty they potty and go back to sleep on the back porch while waiting to come inside!  their day consists of about 10 minutes of romping in the yard then they're done again, and i can't stop them from going back to sleep.  diesel even went so far as to doze off while eating his lunch and fell asleep standing with his head in the bowl.  oh, as a side note, the vet has given them all have a clean bill of health and said they are just lazy.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 03:35:30 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: lazy dog syndrome...??
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 04:14:09 am »
Hmmm, well I have 2 dogs lying right beside my feet as I sit here, one cat on the arm of the chair beside me and the other dog is sacked out on the sofa.  Nope, nothing like that ever happens around here!  ;) :D ::)  LOL   Sounds perfectly normal to me!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 04:19:02 am »
hubby said i need to walk them more often to get their energy level up, BUT, when i do walk them every night i can't even get them up to go potty lmao they plop their butt on the floor and refuse to get up  :o
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 04:55:30 am »
Ours romped and played this morning for about 1/2 hour (hey, that's some exercise, right?), then they napped for about an hour, then they ate, now they're all sound asleep again.  Now that I think about it, I'd like their job!  ::)  ;D

Modified b/c I forgot to say that when I walk them I'm always more tired than they are when we get back and I still have 3 kids to take care of, too.  I'm sure that you can relate!  So we do walk them, but we also let them wear each other out and it looks like mine have done a darn good job of it right now. LOL
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 04:59:29 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 05:32:07 am »
oh do I have a cure for you.......lol  How about you take Farley and Rosie for a week....you will be begging to have your "lazy" dogs back (most likely before the week has ended.... ;)  ;D

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 05:36:09 am »
where, exactly, do you live again???  i'd love a reminder why all my dogs are lazy lmao.  our walks consist of "walk on" and "step up" every two seconds b/c someone is slacking *sigh* maybe the heat gets them worst than i think (though diesel and caine have little / no excuse since their hair is so short!)
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 05:39:03 am »
where, exactly, do you live again???  i'd love a reminder why all my dogs are lazy lmao.  our walks consist of "walk on" and "step up" every two seconds b/c someone is slacking *sigh* maybe the heat gets them worst than i think (though diesel and caine have little / no excuse since their hair is so short!)

hehehe we live in Niagara Falls...I am not opposed to flying them anywhere....lo l :D

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 05:41:02 am »
unfortunately, they won't fly 2 out of 5 of mine lmao (too big, not to mention too gassy eweeeeee)  you up for a road trip half way?  it's ONLY like 8 hours ;) lmao
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Icerotti

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 05:45:39 am »
unfortunately, they won't fly 2 out of 5 of mine lmao (too big, not to mention too gassy eweeeeee)  you up for a road trip half way?  it's ONLY like 8 hours ;) lmao

hahhhaaa....ye ah ...you would really get a handful after that long of a car ride with these two nuts..... ;D

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 05:49:33 am »
 ;)  how great would that be!  i'd be insane and you'd be "skunked" lmao
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Icerotti

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 05:52:28 am »
;)  how great would that be!  i'd be insane and you'd be "skunked" lmao

hahhahaa ......maybe I will send Puck too...OMG he is the master of flatulance...u gh..

Have you read the childrens book- Walter the farting dog.......Puck could sooo be that dog. My daughter is 6 she thinks that is the funniest book.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 05:54:43 am »
LMAO no i haven't read that one, and i'm not going to encourage my kids to fart lmao  they already think it's funny enough and say "eweeeeeeeeeeee e AXLE!  stop farting!" and start laughing lmao
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 09:19:44 am »
I'm willing to swap with you for a weekend.  Mine have been running hard for the past hour and a half.  I got home from work a little before 7pm.  Now they are in because they are getting fed and then they will go back out for another romp. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 09:42:58 am »
Walking every day would definitely help. If I don't walk Bella, it's as if she doesn't notice. She just lays around the house. BUT, when I walk her every day on a regular basis, I see a huge difference in her energy level and each day when I come home she's jumping around the house waiting for me to grab the leash.  I was once warned about how much exercise I gave my ACD becuase the more exercise you give, the more their bodies expect it and need it... so it can go both ways! I walk Bella everyday for anywhere from 20-60 minutes depending on the weather and my schedule.  That seems to be ok with her; she's just happy to get out in the fresh air (we don't have much of a yard to speak of. Really it's a patio that I converted to grass.)  Anyway, that's my two cents on lazy dog syndrome. ;)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 10:12:00 am »
I'm going to be the voice of reason right now.  If you build up there endurance then you will have to exercise them more to get them tired out.  Then it becomes an unending circle of exercise for you.  I say get them a treadmill and hook them to that.   ;D 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience