Author Topic: SOS- pyr in need  (Read 9264 times)

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
SOS- pyr in need
« on: June 29, 2007, 12:09:49 pm »
Hi everyone,
    My name is Jennifer Hair.  I'm new to the group, but I need your help.  I am a dog trainer who is volunteering this summer with a Pyr rescue group.  I'm training some of their dogs in the hopes of making them more adoptable.. Well the most beautiful female pyr has crossed my path. Her name is Jenny and she is a purebred 105 lb girl.   Her coat is classicly gorgeous.  She looks like a show dog.  I would guess that she is 30-32 inches at the withers.  She's a BIG girl.  She is smart as a whip and already knows "watch me", "sit", "down", and "come".  Here's the catch.  She's  a very dominant girl who is currently bored out of her mind. She's gotten into trouble with one of ther foster mom's dogs.  As a result she's living in a bathroom that is WAY too small.  (She has to back up before she can turn around.)  She does get a little yard time, but it's not enough to stimulate her.   A bored pyr is a naughty pyr.   I know that some of you must know of someone who wants such a great girl.  She is in the Dallas metroplex area and if she gets adopted by someone from the area I will continue to give her free lessons.  I can see her going on to great things... tracking, search and rescue, therapy dog.  She's just that smart.   As you can tell I'm quite taken with her.  I WISH that I could take her home, but I have my own Miss Priss who will NOT allow another female into the house.  Please, please, please send this on to anyone who you think might be interested.  Jenny is up on petfinder and I have included a link below.  The pictures really don't do her justice.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8658409

Thanks again,
Jennifer

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: SOS- pyr in need
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 05:40:55 pm »
Hi Jennifer, welcome to BPO.  I looked at her listing and Jenny is beautiful!  I'm in the Pac NW and I'm not sure that Jenny would work out with my crew, but she sounds wonderful.  I do have some Pyr and Golden Ret. Rescue contacts so I'll definately ask around.  We are the proud parents of 3 kids, 3 dogs and our kitties.  Daisy (my shadow) is our 8 y/o Golden/yellow lab mix, Sammy (my boy shadow and big teddy bear) is around 5 and he's a pure bred Pyr from Pyr Rescue and Cassie a 2 y/o sweetie (sleeping on my feet as I type) is a pyrfect mix of Pyr and something else wonderful, we just aren't sure what.  ;D  I hope that you stay around BPO, we'd love to hear more about your pup and the ones that you are training.  Thank you for helping Jenny and I hope that we can help her find a wonderful home.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:50:12 pm »
Thanks so much for putting feelers out there for me.  I don't normally push so hard for a dog, but Jenny is special.  She's in a bad situation right now.  She's  a very DOMINANT girl.  For a while she was getting a little outside time, and then went right back into the bathroom until the evening.  They let her out with the family for a couple of hours.  As a trainer I can say that this was definite understimulati on for such a smart girl.  As a result she did go after one of the foster mom's dogs.  They were being taken inside from being outside and they took the little cocker first.  Jenny went off on her.   The foster mom was taken by complete surprise.  It was so out of character for Jenny.    She had let puppies crawl on top of her.  She had let the grandchildren sleep on her. So no one could understand why it happened.  They chalked it up to dominance.  (I hate that!!!!!!!!)  Yes she is dominant but she's extremely smart. If you leave a race horee in the stable and never excercise him he's going to be grouchy when you get him out. I think Jenny's living situation added fuel to her building frustration. I really think that this is an isolated incident and is a result of frustration on Jenny's part.  If she had a better living situation I don't believe the scenario would be repeated.  However, she is a bossy girl and will need to be the boss wherever she ends up.  Since this incident with the foster mom's dog things have gotten worse for Jenny.  She's relegated to the bathroom almost the whole day.  They are working on getting a dog run for her.  Once that is up she really won't get very much interaction.  This is what she desperately needs...intera ction, stimulation, walks, affection.  I'm afraid that this beautiful girl's personality is going to be ruined by such treatment.  To me it is nothing short of neglect.  So thanks so much for answering my post.  I want to get her out of there ASAP.
Jennifer

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 08:18:34 am »
Jennifer, I think you are a fantastic person for doing what you are doing. And for loving Jenny the way you do.

There MUST be a PYRFECT home out there for this beautiful and special in every way girl.

Believe me. If I could. I would. Bring her home to me. They don't get much better than Jenny!  :)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 09:56:50 am »
Jenny, if you can find some one who will take her- and they need help with transport, let me know. I have a friend who could be interested, by they also live out in the country and the SPIN rescue is going to require a 6 foot fence around the entire property. Can they get her into a different foster home. It is not fair to the dog to be in a small bathroom locked up for the entire day every day- and being Pyr people, they should understand that. Also, have you called my vet yet to see if they have any one that is interested. I am hoping that Jenny will have a home soon.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 08:30:24 pm »
Why does SPIN require a 6 foot fence- is it just for this dog?  A 6 foot fence is basically a privacy fence and they are really rather flimsy especially as they age and often don't hold up to a determined dog who can just pry a loose board off.  i have had Pyrs for 18 years- the fence around the house is 3/1/2 foot and the kennel fence is 4 1/2 foot- only one dog in all that time has ever gone over

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 12:12:20 am »
I am sure that it is because of the Pyrs reputation for roaming. They may have changed thier rules from a year ago when I wanted to adopt from them, but I am not sure. I have 4 Pyrs and a 4 1/2 foot field fence and mine have proven to me that they can get over that fence if they decide that they need to- We are now in the process of preparing to run a hot wire on the top of the fence.
Also in Texas, 6 foot privacy fences are pretty much the norm in the city and a lot of the newer homes are going to the 6 ft Vinyl privacy fencing that doesnt age and have boards that do not break lose. I wouldnt trust mine in a 3 1/2 fence, nor would I trust it to keep the coyotes out- Maybe my crew is just a bit of a challenge.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 03:36:11 am »
She's soooo pretty! I sure hope she finds the home that she deserves. As far as the fence goes- I think 6ft would be a good thing to require, but I don't know why a 6ft chain link wouldn't be just as good. I dont think they specified 'privacy'. We have a 4ft chaink link and want a 6 but it's not in the budget now. Fortunately ours haven't tried to jump over but they are still babies. Yukon is tall enough to get over it now if he chose too, luckily he doesn't seem interested. I know some Pyrs jump and some dig. Mine definitely have tried to dig out and suceeded once. My breeders Pyrs were also diggers, but never jumpers. They're just all different.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 08:52:01 pm »
Its only that an arbitrary 6 foot requirement would eliminate a lot of nice homes.  I'd rather have a Pyr in a 4 foot fence and a great home than another home not so great but with a 6 foot fence. 

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 02:53:30 am »
Hi! 
I've been on vacation.  I'm a teacher and so I'm trying to get a little bit out of my summer.  SPIN does adopt out of state, but you'd have to arrage for transport.  I havent' talked to the foster mom since I got back.  I'm going to call her and see what's the new news with Jenny.  Their bathroom toliet overflowed (yuck!!!) so heaven only knows where she has been staying.
Jennifer

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 02:58:17 am »
Hi! 
     Jenny is I'm sure in an even more precarious position.  Her foster family's toliet has overflowed and I'm not sure where she fits into that equation.  (She was staying in that same bathroom.)  I haven't been able to work with her for several weeks because of the overflow and my own vacation.  I'm planning on seeing her as soon as I can... hopefully sometime this week.  I'm also working with some of the other fosters in that home.  Anyway... I've still got my ear to the ground trying to find a home for her.  I'll let you know if I find someone who needs transport.
Jennifer

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 03:52:30 am »
Jennifer, please let us know the update on Jenny. I am way over my quota here but would like to try and help you find her a way out of that mess. Just out of curiousity, could Jan over at Doggie Day Kamp take her for a little while- has anyone asked. I know about a year ago she had several fosters for SPIN. Could we possibly persue Jan on that avenue? She has acreage, ponds etc. Its not fair to Jenny to be in that foster home.
Paige

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 04:40:59 am »
This is so sad.  I wish I could help out but one of my females won't tolerate another dominant dog in the house.  If she comes down to Houston I will gladly help with transport.  Is there anyway to see if the Houston Pyr rescue could take her and foster her?
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Cai Li

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 05:33:53 am »
Jenny seems like such a sweetheart and it saddens me to see her is a situation like she is. Believe me I know what it is like fostering a dog that does not get along with other dogs!! It is not easy but each and every dog should have equal time with the family and outside time. It really doesn't seem fair for Jenny at all and in my opinion is most defanately neglect! Dogs are like children to me and can you imagine if a child that didn't get along with the other siblings was treated like that? I am a long way away but if I can find a home for our other foster dog then if transport can be arranged I would be happy to foster Jenny. But I do know that another foster is not the answer and it would be great if she could find someone in your area so that you can continue with the training but it doesn't seem fair for Jenny to be stuck in a bathroom all day. Let me know if there is anything else that I can do besides foster (if we can find a home for Shelly first) I can't transport but I would be willing to help out with money for tansport if nothing else.

Julia
A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.

marypyrs

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 05:57:20 pm »
Jennifer,

I received a response from a member of another GP Board. This is a fairly new group but they are doing a LOT of great work re: this crisis of late with Pyrs In Need.

http://www.nationalpyr.org

Hugs to Jenny! I've been a bit sidetracked of late. But Jenny has been on my mind.  :-*

Jane