Author Topic: What to do if encounter a bad dog when with your dogs?!  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
What to do if encounter a bad dog when with your dogs?!
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:26:11 am »
The other day I took all three dogs to the end of our road to get the mail.  We're walking along, and a deer comes FLYING out of the woods- I mean, almost runs us over.  Very strange as it was the middle of the day.  So, we continue and then I see a flash of white at the end of our road-and it's the neighbor's viscious dog.  It must have chased the deer out of the woods then cut down our road.  The dog has bitten several people and killed one of our neighbor's dogs last year- ripped the poor dog's scalp off right in front of her mom :(  I do not understand why it's still around.
Anyway, the dog didn't see us and mine didn't see her, so I turned everyone around and ran home as quickly as possible.  Now, keep in mind, I am seven months pregnant and not supposed to be running, so I am sure I looked pretty crazy, waddling away, dragging the dogs with me.  I was absolutely terrified though and totally panicked. I have never been afraid of a dog before and was shocked by how completely scared and upset I was. My question is, what would I have done had the dog spotted us?  I was thinking as we ran, should I pick up the smaller dog and let the bigger ones go ahead?  It is just so horrible to imagine anything happening to my babies and I think I would end up getting into the middle of them if the other dog attacked.  Any ideas?  What would you do?
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
Re: What to do if encounter a bad dog when with your dogs?!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:29:21 am »
O  I would have been  scared too. I woudl  call animal  control or something on this  mean  dog it  shouldnt  be able to run around  if it so  vicios
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 12:56:04 am »
when i have a bad encounter with other dogs or people...i pretend it's completely their fault and storm off in a huff.  I got tired of appoligizing for Grace's outburst, usually brought on by the unexpected "HI LITTLE DOGGIE HOW CUTE LET ME PET YOU WITH MY FAST MOVING HANDS AS I LOOM OVER YOU" or the dart out in front of us at 10 pm joggers.

If i do get the courtesy "can i pet her?" i cautiously explain to people how to approach a rott. 
if i get a "is she friendly?"  that means...you're probably trying to overcome big dog/rottie phobias and my reply is "NO!"

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 01:17:56 am »
I first put my dogs on heel and a short leash and then quickly evaluate to other dog... does it appear friendly? Have a collar that can safely take hold of?

If no to the above start yelling like I'm crazy "Go home" "Get out of here" etc...if the dog continues to approach I mace it also have kicked and hit dogs with the leather leash..if all else fails that's what the CCW is for.
I have also been looking in to cattle prods.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 01:31:14 am »
I would have done the same thing. Once, when we were in the elevator headed outside, a Pit Bull without his muzzle on came  into the elevator without his owner. He just walked in and began immediately snarling/growling/attempting to bite Bear. I pushed Bear behind me as much as I could and began kicking at the dog to get him out. I had the pepper spray in my hand too but couldn't spray, kick, and hold Bear back at the same time.  When the owner finally came to get the dumb dog he was like "Oh. Sorry." Grr.... you just gotta do whatever you can to protect your baby.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 01:33:05 am »
Hi,

I posted this before but you can easily make your own "mace" take some cayene pepper put in a solution of vodka (or any alcohol for that matter) leave it over night strain the liquid into a squirt bottle (make sure it can spray a good distsnce not just a mist) and you are ready for those run ins.

This is a serious deterrent for any animal or person for that matter and no lingering effect after the spray wears off!!

The more Cayene the stronger the effect.

Also a nice marinade for steaks ;-)

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 07:03:49 pm »
Wow - that's a tough one. You may have to call in an animal control complaint if the neighbor's dog is on the loose like that. It isn't safe for you to walk alone OR with your dogs. You could cary a spray or even a stick, but with three dogs your hands are full. You also don't want to hurt your little baby, of course. And, once the baby comes, I wouldn't suggest going out with the stroller with a dog like that at large. I think the authorities need to address the dog running loose with the owners. That's terrible, really. You should be able to enjoy your own neighborhood with your dogs and your baby. Sheesh.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 09:58:02 pm »
How big is the dog??? LOL Once when walking we had 4 pomeranians come out and attack Thorn...I was yelling and kicking. I told the lady if he decided to rip one of them up it was her fault. They were hanging off his legs etc. He never did try and bite them (I would have LOL) Last week I was walking Him and Morgayne and the neighbors Pyr. came running at us. I had enough time to shorten his leash up and as she tried to attack, I kept turning in circles so that they were face to face so she couldn't grab at him. Finally the owner got her dog and put her in the house.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 10:38:37 pm »
If you're really worried, I would inform the proper authorities, you can't have a dog like that around once your baby is born.

I've never encountered a viscous dog, but once when we were walking Remy, and huge lab came running at us, without a collar or leash. We'd never met this dog and had no idea whether he was friendly or not. At this point Remy was still afraid of other dogs and I couldn't do much because I was in my wheelchair being pushed by my sister. Some kid was walking lazily behind the dog, and we simply said, you dog should be on his leash. To which he replied "he's not my dog" and walked off. I'm happy the dog went with him and never bothered Remy, but I'm insanely protective of him since he'll be my service dog, I was ready to pick him up and put him in my lap!
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 03:43:25 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone-sorry I didn't post sooner, our internet has been down.  I think I am going to report the dog (again).  I looked into getting pepper spray but you need a permit to carry a concealed weapon to get it here!!!  So I will try the homemade recipe!  THanks again.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 04:00:56 am »
Hi,

On the home made spray, start with 1 tea spoon of cayenne pepper to 4 ounces alcohol, add that to a pint sprayer fill the balance with water. Find some thing to test it on (THAT ISN"T EASY) (maybe a dab some on a q-tip and give a quick sniff you'll know if it is strong enough or if you need to tinker with it.

Google cayenne peeper and you'll find some information that may be helpful.

Technically this is pepper spray so if you have permit restrictions you may want to see if you are violating any laws with the home brew!! I wouldn't want to suggest you make something you can get into trouble with but I also would rather deal with the "trouble" with my unharmed children or pooch sitting next to me. Just my thoughts!!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 04:04:33 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 09:52:50 am »
honestly if getting rid of the dog isnt an option, i would buy a can of mace for protection. it's small and you can carry it any where with you. just make sure to not do any 'friendly fire' with it ;). that is the only thing that i can think of that would not do mortal damage to the mean dog. but it would make him retreat fairly fast im sure. i would only consider this option if you have no other options available. i do understand the need to protect your family!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline DroolGirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 11:51:57 am »
This is a scary situation. I hope the authorities will respond appropriately and make sure he never menaces anyone again. But no matter what, I would consider getting a can of citronella spray- marketed to break up dog fights- which works wonders from my limited experience.

Best of luck!

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 09:31:43 pm »
I think that if you are on your property- you do not have to have a permit to carry any type of weapon, wether it is a gun or mace or pepper spray. I am not sure what state you are in, but here in Texas thats the way that the law works. I would start by calling the Sheriffs dept, the dog has already proven that it is viscious (sp??) and explain that you fear for your safety. I am sure that it would be useless to try and talk to the owners. Also since I have such a large number of dogs that are all large- the fear for me would be what would they do to the dog that challenges either them or me. I would also not even let the little dog go near the beast- all animals are opportunists and they are going to go after the small dog before the large dog. Too bad you cant get and carry a stun gun. But check into your local laws, especially since you are in the country.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 07:45:34 am »
it's sad that people allow their dogs to become so completly out of controll that you have to resort to this kind of action, but sometimes you have no other choice
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown