Author Topic: Saint pup in need-kill shelter- OK  (Read 30766 times)

Offline DroolGirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Saint pup in need-kill shelter- OK
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:14:50 am »
I had no business being on Petfinder this morning, but that is another story... Amelia is in the municipal shelter in Sand Springs OK. http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8763998

I left a message before the shelter opened and a delightful young lady named Amanda called back- from her personal cell phone since the shelter does not have long distance. The shelter has very limited resources, and no provision for vet care. She described Amelia as very sweet but increasingly uncomfortable as the "wet smelly" sores under her neck are getting worse, and she is scratching them harder. (UGH!)

Amelia is being seen by a local vet now- who does not accept credit cards, but will let me send a check to pay for her treatment-- lots of angels in this story already!

Is anyone here close to Sand Springs OK? I live on the east coast- in NC, and have 3 beautiful Saints of my own, and a precious Newf courtesy of some amazing BPO women, so there is not much else I can do-- alone, anyway. I will post an update when I get a diagnosis (and I requested a fecal and a heartworm test too). I have emailed OK Saint rescue, but it looks like they have a lot of dogs right now, and I do not want to assume that they will be able to help.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Miracles?

Thanks you, and I will post a proper intro soon!!

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
Re: Saint pup in need-kill shelter- OK
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:25:23 am »
There was a reason you needed to be on Petfinder today.  I have a rescued Saint, Annie.  How can I help this precious girly?  You can PM me if you like.  I want to help.  I'm in So. California.
Salli, Annie's mama!

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:27:48 am »
Any idea what Sand Springs is near?? I have contacts in Oklahoma, thats where my 2 fosters came from. Did the shelter indicate how long that they would keep her? Normally they will not hold and treat for any type of medical conditions. I have a wonderful group of transport people that I have met and if we can get her into a rescue or personal home, I will get started on the set up to get her out of there- I just need to know where this city is located.

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 12:37:45 am »
POor  girl I hope  some one can give her a good home.
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 12:41:10 am »
I have sent an email to the group in Oklahoma. If I have to, I can go Monday and get her - BUT I can not keep her- I need a commitment. Anyone??

lorim2

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 12:44:14 am »
If someone can house her I could probably go get her...

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 12:49:36 am »
Lori, if you can wait until Monday- I will go with you and split the gas. I am going to have to get off of the computer- I have to go into McKinney today. Lori, keep me posted, you have my cell phone number. I am thinking that between us, if she isnt in too bad of shape- we can find someone to take her- I would rather have that commitment first though before we take a road trip.
Paige
and the lizard is doing great

lorim2

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 01:28:11 am »
Just let me know....972658 0112

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 01:54:47 am »
Ok, I just spoke with Drool Girl! (We have a prior connection over a very "special" dog! ;) )

She told me that the puppy is still at the vet. She's trying to get some more information and some photos.

I'm more than willing to help foster and transport. Drool Girl can't keep her as she now has 4 dogs, but she's willing to help with coordination efforts and the like. And I think she's helping with vet costs (WHOOOH! WHAT AN AWESOME CHICK!)

So, I'll keep everyone posted if I hear anything else, and I'm sure she'll be about, too.

BPO PUPPY TRANSPORT!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOO OH!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 01:59:03 am »
We're in Oklahoma--about 1 hour and 15 minutes from Sand Springs.  We can't house this saint puppy, but we can help with transport, etc.

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 02:23:34 am »
hahhaha, how'd you know that, Julie?!!?! ;)

This is going to ROCK if we can save the lil' bugger! I want to re-name her Dewette after me and Jenn's Dewey. :(

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 02:27:44 am »
I'm not close, but anything I can do to help let me know.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Nicole

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 03:02:32 am »
hahhaha, how'd you know that, Julie?!!?! ;)

This is going to ROCK if we can save the lil' bugger! I want to re-name her Dewette after me and Jenn's Dewey. :(

Hahah, well, cool chicks helping with a newfie rescue... wonder who that could be.

BTW, my nickname as a kid was Dewey. Therefore, I think that's a great idea.  Poor Dewey. This little one will have a better chance...Perha ps with you, Nicole.  Still looking for that special Saint to live with you?

hahhaha, well...not exactly. But, we ARE buying a house like...well, I just put the offer in a few hours ago. So, we'll see!

Offline DroolGirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Amelia/Dewette
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 03:11:13 am »
Wow... BPO - is just amazing. It is awesome to see such a great response to a pup in need- and so many people wanting and able to help!

I am chewing my nails- Amelia/Dewette has been at the vet's office for 5 hours now, but there is not an update yet. I promise that as soon as I hear from the vet I will post on her condition, and I am begging for a photo from the shelter.

I know that several of you have called the shelter to check on Amelia's status, which is great, since they know there is real interest. Unless there is dire news about her condition, she will NOT be euthanized. The ladies at the shelter are so happy that Amelia is getting this chance. But they are asking that we limit calls, so they can get back to the dogs!

More info to come, as soon as it develops...

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 03:21:02 am »
I'm a bit out of the way to help with transport but I'm willing to help out if I can. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience