Author Topic: Ants in Dogfood  (Read 4169 times)

Offline marypr2

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Ants in Dogfood
« on: August 30, 2007, 04:15:44 pm »
Hi-
We just had to waste an entire bag of dry dog food because of a great ant invasion. The previous bag did not have ant problems and was left open all the time in the garage.   

Last night we bought this thing that looks like a trash can that has a pop up lid to put dog food in.  Do any of you who have potential for ant invasions of your dog food know if these things will work?  I thought we would need something with a screw-on lid, but didn't find anything like that.

We know we could always keep the stuff inside, but don't want to, if we can help it.

Thanks,
Mary

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ants in Dogfood
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 04:51:09 pm »
There is "Ant B Gon" at Walmart that I found worked really well. Phelan leaves his food most of the day so we needed something that kept the Ants away from open food. You just put a couple drops on a hard surface at the bottom of your food container (don't want it near the food) and the ants stay away. The bottle says indoor/outdoor use.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Ants in Dogfood
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 06:14:20 pm »
I have 2 of this type storage bin but mine have casters on the bottom.  One is for cat food and one if for the dog food.  I've never had an issue with ants getting into the pet food with these containers.  I keep mine in the pantry in the kitchen. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience