Author Topic: Thank GOD for Football  (Read 3283 times)

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Thank GOD for Football
« on: July 23, 2005, 04:34:04 pm »
This is very long.

I urge you to take the time to read it all.

Forwarded with permission. Permission to forward and crosspost as long as it is done in intact form including the introduction below.

------------------------------------------

this is a great article (i thought it was great any way) in DOG NEWS.   i
don't have which issue it was.  written by CinDee Byer.  (Dog News  did give me permission to "reproduce" it)  (it's kind of long but hope you  find it worth reading - please note that the underlined parts of the  article are MY emphasis - based on some of the discussion on  the list" monica kline
bel canto

THANK GOD FOR FOOTBALL
by CinDee Byer

Football games, for the most  part, are played on weekends, as are most
dog shows.  Since dogs are my  passion, you can guess where I am on most of those week-ends.  However,  about seven years ago i was introduced to football by accident.  I was at  one of those family functions that all of us dog people struggle through.   A game was blaring over the TV and I began to watch. This game of football  impressed me with its gladiators in uniforms who ran, threw mighty passes,  caught uncatchable catches, tackled and were tackled, all in the effort to get  this odd-shaped ball to the other end of the field.  I learned the names of  the teams and their players, the positions they played, and the color of their  teams uniform, as well as what made them so outstanding in the sport.  I  became a student of football, but don't turn the page just yet!  This isn't  about my love of football; it's about my love of purebred dogs - especially  cropped and docked breeds - and believe me, i'm just warming up!

You see, in football, as in  any good sport, there are rules, goals and
penalties.  And, as in any good  sport, football adheres tenaciously to their
rules and penalties.  Of the  many rules in football, the most basic is that a
player MUST wear the colors of  his team.

Hines Ward, an outstanding  receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers, could
say that black and silver go better  w/ his complexion than black and gold,
but the rules state otherwise.  And  many could make the argument that the color of his uniform does not affect his  game and is inconsequentia l; the uniform, after all, is only man-made.  But  you see ...in the NFL, rules are rules, and for each rule there is a  purpose.  Rookie quarterback Ben Rothlisberger of the same team was warned  by the NFL uniform police about initials that were written on the soles of his  shoes.  Those initials - "PFJ", meaning "Play for Jesus" - are illegal by  NFL uniform code rules.  Players can even be fined by the league for  infractions as small as not having their shirt tucked in.

What makes a good sport a great  sport?  It doesn't change rules to cater
to one's whims no matter how  important that one is to the team.  The NFL
doesn't change the rules to  cater to outside whims that seek change for the sake of change without regard  for the sport.  Do you see where I'm going with this?  Organizations  like the NFL know Mr Ward and Mr Rothlisberger were given a choice the day  they signed w/ the Steelers.  They knew the uniform code long before they  made the decision to become a Steeler.

An exhibitor of purebred dogs  should know the standard of a breed
before they choose to exhibit at a  sanctioned show.  We too sign an agreement every time we fill out an entry  form to enter a sanctioned show.  This agreement states that the signer  "will abide by the rules and regulations of the AKC".  The AKC represents  our parent clubs and their standards.  So why all the boo-hooing about  docking and cropping in breed standards?  If the NFL did not adhere to the  rules of uniform, we would not be able to identify the members of our teams on  the field.  Ignoring part of our breed's standard will begin to make it  difficult to identify our breeds in the rings.

Let's talk lawsuits.  Fans could bring a lawsuit  against the NFL just b/c
they disliked the color of uniforms  Some fans may  actually believe they should have a choice in the uniform that the players wear  - after all, it is the fan's money that pays for the tickets, which supports the  team, and the fan's taxes that builds stadiums.  Considering the huge  investment of public funds, it would seem that average taxpayers should have  more say about the operation of the NFL than Joe Public should about breed  standards.  Yet in this era of political correctness, our biggest concern  in the dog world seems to be how the public "feels" about cropping and  docking.

Do you think the NFL cares how  the public "feels" about team colors after
they have already been  established?  Do you think is has its own little secret committee to  address the "concerns" of fans that dislike those colors?  WELL, LET ME  JUST TELL YOU - THEY DON'T!  They don't sneak around behind the team's  backs coordinating color schemes with the fans, lawyers and fashion consultants to placate a few radicals.  They stick to the rules and they don't change the high standards of the game.

"Sport" is defined in the  Funk&Wagnalls Standard Encyclopedia as: "That
which amuses in general, pass  time or to participate in games".  There is no mention of punishable by law  if you are not amused and if you don't
participate.

"Game" is defined as: "A  CONTEST governed by SET RULES entered into for amusements, a test of prowess or  for money, or other stakes".

Breed Standards are the "rules  of our games, NOT THE LAW OF THE LAND". So this movement in the Fancy to  add tails and ears to standards of traditionally cropped and docked breeds  and/or taking out penalites against those dogs that do not conform to the  American dress code is about someone's hidden agenda and NOT about or  dogs or our sport at all.  This decision to change the standards strikes at  the very core of the American Breeders who have struggled to keep the bar high  and preserve the breed's heritage.  This movement compromises our sport,  the sport of the purebred dog in America, and it will not benefit but rather  destroy, and in many cases eliminate,  various breeds o dogs.   Exhibiting purebred dogs is a sport!  Tampering with our breed standards in  the name of political correctness does not change laws of the land, but it seeks  to change the rules of our game.

Now supposing that some of us  can make the leap of awareness to the
understanding that the participate in a  sport, let's talk penalities.  There are no apologies from the NFL referees  to the players, coaches or fans for
penalities - that's just the way it is in  football.  The fact is that in football,
just like in the sport of purebred  dogs, even the team with the most
penalties and still win (smile).  The  difference between the AKC and the NFL is that in the NFL, the penalties are  ALWAYS assessed AND THE OFFENDER IS ALWAYS POINTED OUT!

Football is a sport, as is the  sport of purebred dogs, but unlike the
AKC,  the NFL is a mighty force to  be reckoned with and secure in it's beliefs and direction.  As an example,  some years back when a grout of "do-gooders" came knocking  at the locker  room of the NFL, boo-hooing b/c children should learn we are all winners and  football only promotes violence, the NFL simply said, "sorry, 'ladies', this is  a football league, not your psychiatrist". Did these unanswered cries  result in the end of football?  NO, the game is more popular than ever,  played in nearly every high school and college and, for the most part, funded by  our tax dollars.

The NFL understands clearly  that football is a "sport and not the law
of the land".  They wouldn't even  entertain the recent boo-hooings of parents in Pittsburgh who petitioned them to  move the Steelers vs Patriots game from Halloween 2004 (Sunday) to Saturday so  their kids could go trick or treating and the parents wouldn't miss the  game.  the NFL apparently round-filed that complaint as well.  Did the  game suffer?  No, in fact, the Patriots/Steelers game had one of the  largest turnout of fans ever in Heinz field (not to be confused w/ Hines  Ward).  It was a great game (that is if you are a Steelers fan).

What is the NFL doing that we are not?  They don't  back down!  Perhaps if
some in the AKC ran the NFL, we'd wake up to the  Steelers wearing pink tutus and yelling, "quit that" in place of making  tackles.  Yes, there would be group hugs and we would be looking to other  countries to make new rules governing football in America.  All this in  hopes that other countries would play with us.  Doesn't it seem like some  in this current movement to eliminate cropping and docking are saying, "You're  so ugly your mother had to tie a pork chop around your neck to get the dogs to  play with you"?  Do we really feel that we need to tie a pork chop around  our necks to get other countries to play with us?  I think not, and whoever  among you thinks so, perhaps it's time for a career change.

You say we are behind the  times with the cropping and docking!  You say
Europe is smarter than we are  because they have banned these procedures!  Remind me...what year was it  the Europeans put a man on the moon?  Oh wait, I suppose they were too busy  lamenting over cropping and docking.  Well, perhaps Neil Armstrong was  behind the times for going to the moon.  Perhaps all those American  multi-million-dollar plastic surgeons are behind the times for offering appearance enhancing surgeries.  Perhaps Paul Tagliabue is nuts to be the commissioner of the NFL, and perhaps we in the dog world are just a little brainwashed from the PETA people who seek elimination of our  breeds.

If we are behind the times, it  is because we are the ones who are
holding ourselves back!

We are refusing to use the  wonderful technologies of today to protect
the history and heitage of our breeds  for tomorrow.  It's time to put another man on the moon!  Take a page  from the NFL playbook.  Serious, controversial injuries happen weekly, by  the dozens in the NFL during football season and people boo-hoo.  The NFL  did not sit back and beg the AMA to not make negative statements about football  and these injuries.  They have not been wringing their hands wondering how  to make a softer defense.  They aren't making deals with the AMA to phase  out injuries.  On the contrary, the NFL has worked with the AMA to develop  a whole new field called "SPORTS MEDICINE".  Yes, the NFL has found a way  to take what the public may "feel" as violent and what some medical  professionals may "feel" is brutal and created a program to benefit
us  all.  Sports medicine is one of the fastest growing fields in  medicine.
Working with injured players, they have developed new techniques  and medicines to heal bones and repair injuries. This does not only benefit  today's athletes but also older people and people like myslef who are prone to  injury as well.

Do you think the guys running  the NFL are ruthless in their dealings
with their players and the public?   No, not ruthless, just very, very
successful - not to mention mentally  stable.  Why are they successfull?  They understand that FOOTBALL IS A  GAME, PEOPLE, NOT THE LAW OF THE LAND!  They promote instead of  demote their teams.  If only we in the dog world could invoke the Gods to bless us with this power of reasoning, our problems in the dog world would be solved.  We would soon realize we are not dictating laws to the public, but rather standards to a relatively small group of people in America  who love, breed and exhibit dogs under the rules of the AKC.

There are good people in the  AKC trying to do a good job.  They just
seem to be using the formula  for failure - trying to please everybody.  I have never asked any breed to  change its standards.  On the contrary, I believe, as does the NFL, that by  sticking to and standing behind its standards, the organization becomes stronger  and the world gravitates to you.

And for the record...Cropp ing  and docking as well as grooming procedures of certain breeds were all originally  done for PURPOSE....NOT BEAUTY.  WE AMERICANS TOOK THAT PURPOSE AND MADE IT  BENEFICIAL, HUMANE AND BEAUTIFUL. Take pride in that fact and stop beating  your war drums against our American breeders.

I realize the AKC is seeking  to grow and is testing the waters in many
directions, but keep in mind the NFL  is a mulit-billion-dollar (maybe
trillion by now) organization!  One  stadium to play football costs taxpayers $200 million to build.  The NFL  didn't get this way by losing control of its very foundations and selling out to  the crybabies.  It became this monumental creator of one of America's  favorite pastimes b/c it leads and protects its legions with a  vengeance against all that challenges it.  Football has not gotten softer  over the years; it has gotten tougher!  The players are stronger and their  hits are a whole lot harder.  The just use a lot better padding these days!

So here is what the situation in the dog world looks like in football
terms...
- the coaches are arguing w/ the  sidelines
- the play callers have a break down in the  communication devices
- the owner of our team is getting ready to sell  out
- we are on the field playing against  radicals
- the two minute warning has just  sounded
- the score is 10 to 7 in favor of the  radicals
- our team has the ball on our own nine yard line  w/ no time outs left
- it is third and long and the radicals are  getting ready to blitz our
standards

The choice of the next play is  up to you...
- throw a "Hail Mary" pass for a touchdown and  win?
- run the ball for the first down
- hope to get in field goal range to put us in  overtime?
- or we can take a knee and give up our  standards

THE MEDIA EAGERLY WAITS TO ANNOUNCE THE WINNER.   THE CHOICE IS UP TO YOU.[/b]

As for me, whenever i feel as  though my words are just "shouts into a
hurricane"; when I can feel the steps of  the radicals getting closer to our
breed standards; when i feel as though the  passion in the dog world is being replaced with apathy and complacency, and when  it seems we have become so afraid to defend our own from ridicule, it is always  a relief to turn on the TV and say "THANK GOD FOR FOOTBALL", where rules are  rules, goals are goals and a penalty is a penalty.

--------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 04:53:40 pm by RedyreRottweilers »
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Thank GOD for Football
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 07:23:19 pm »
I have already stated that I feel strongly against docking and cropping, and I have read the article and find that the argument presented is a very weak analogy. Here are a few reasons why I believe that:

1. It does not hurt when you tuck in a shirt or put on a yellow shirt instead of a green one. There is no physical pain associated with uniforms. If football players were forced to get a tattoo with their team logo, I might be able to buy this argument. But we never take surgical tools to a football player, and they are not hurt by it. Docking and cropping involves surgery and pain. Its a totally different ball game, pun intended.

2. football players choose to be athletes. They spend their lives training, they sign the contracts and they recieve the paychecks. In dog shows, on the other hand, the dog is forced to compete. Their owner chooses to compete because they as an owner want to; the dog doesn't get a say in the matter.

3. football is not about  uniforms, it is about running and passing and throwing and making touchdowns. The uniforms are merely one tool that is used to create pride in a hometeam. Comformation dog shows, on the other hand, are all about looks.

4. One of the most fundamental arguments of this article is that proffessional sports organizations don't care about how fans 'feel' about their predetermined rules. Guess what, they do. They spend millions of dollars each year to analyze the fans feeling and build a 'brand' that the fans love and respect. Don't believe me? Heres just one example off the top of my head: Ever hear of the 'Washington Wizards'? Up until a few years ago they were the 'Washington Bullets'. They spent decades as the Bullets, just as long as they had their uniform colors picked out. And guess what? The public got upset about it, and the name got changed. Rules can and should change when they are doing more harm than good. Docking and cropping may be good for owners who want to win ribbons, but it does harm to dogs. I am on the side of animals.

5. Uniform colors are arbitrary. Tails and ears are not. Evolution has been working for hundreds and thousands of years. If dogs were meant to have tiny tails and pointy ears, they would have evolved that way. People didn't evolve to wear yellow shirts, but most dog breeds did evolve to have long tails. Nature knows better than we do.
RIP former BPO

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 08:27:38 pm »
I have owned 2 dogs personally who were ear cropped. They did not seem to endure any pain or hardship from it in my personal experience. Maybe I was missing something.

I have observed numerous litters being docked, both surgically and tied.

I tie my own tails.

No crying.

No blood.

No pain.

Just no tails in about 72 hours.

I do feel strongly that if the ARistas have their way with outlawing docking and cropping, that the outlawing of breeds will escalate, and it will be a slippery slope to the end of companion animals in the US.

Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 07:36:08 am »
I think cropping & docking if done humaely should be a personal choice...I agree more & see more real benifits to the dog in some breeds for tail docking but I wouldn't choose to crop ears in any breed but that is my personal opinion...I think if we start loosing the choice to choose it only opens the door to more regulations on our choices & what's next?..A law banning the removal of dewclaws?...laws regulating what we can & can't feed our dogs?...Laws requiring spaying & neutering of all dogs?...I don't think any of that is a stretch to think might happen if we continue to allow the laws to choose for us......I have 8 cats who are not declawed & that is my choice but I wouldn't want anyone to tell me that I couldn't declaw if I chose to...Just my opinion. :)

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 10:41:55 am »
Here, here Gypsy, you hit the nail right on the head!!!!  Is what I have been preaching all along.  Thank You

Peggy
Peggy

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 10:51:52 am »
Here, here Gypsy, you hit the nail right on the head!!!!  Is what I have been preaching all along.  Thank You

Peggy
I've enjoyed & agreed with your preaching too!...AMEN SISTER! ;D

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 08:26:36 am »
bumping this up.....
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 02:21:42 pm »
I did not read that entire article because it was starting to make me pretty angry. I do not understand how anyone who loves animals could compare the removing of god-given body parts to a change of some football player's clothing.
People will come up with some pretty ridiculous stuff to defend cropping and docking. I am not buying it.
FYI this is the first time I have ever spoken my mind on this subject. I know it is touchy, and I don't enjoy arguing. But I think this article is really lame. I hate football anyways.

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 02:32:16 pm »
It really should be read with an ear to Breed Specific Legislation as well, never mind the docking cropping issue.

Breed Specific Legislation and the PAWS act, if it passes, will forever change the landscape of the purebred animal industry in the US.

HOMES are going to be regulated and inspected for the first time ever, and it does not take much to end up being a dealer.

I urge everyone to take the time to read the analysis of the PAWS law by the DPCA attorney. It's scary.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com