Author Topic: Sierra is REALLY trying my patience...  (Read 5143 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Sierra is REALLY trying my patience...
« on: September 26, 2007, 04:13:38 pm »
Maybe she is just going through a rebellious stage at 8 months old.  Maybe we failed her as owners and trainers.  Maybe she just has us well trained and we don't even know it.  Maybe she's just a bad dog.  I love her so much, but I just don't know what to do with her anymore.

No, she's not a bad dog, I am just so frustrated with her.  She is getting into trouble EVERY SINGLE DAY.  Whether it's not listening, chewing things, CONSTANTLY harrassing the cats, whatever.  She is always in trouble lately and she didn't used to be this bad.  It's to the point where I see her doing something and I feel just so completely drained, I am too tired to even reprimand her.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone or do I have a problem child developing here?

~ Stephanie
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 04:17:26 pm by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Sierra is REALLY trying my patience...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 04:30:18 pm »
Well, it sounds like she's a puppy.  I sure know how frustrating it is when they wont listen and you feel like you done all that you could to teach them the behavior you want yet they appear to not really care and do what they want to anyway.  Gracie was about 8 to 9 months old when she was a bit of a rebel too.  My advice to you is continue with the corrections.  Don't give in or she'll take advantage of that.  Make the walks longer and perhaps a bit faster.  Never letter her pull or walk ahead of you and especially never letting her explore (sniff the ground) until you say it's okay.  She needs to understand that you are in charge.  You say what, when, where and how for EVERYTHING.  Especially when she is being unruly.  I kind of think it's a phase though.  What a stinker they can be.  Worse case scenario, you can pack her up and send her to live with me and my crew.... We'll always make room for a Newf...  Good luck and hang in there and let us know how things work out.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 04:56:13 pm »
Awwwww! yeah, its because she's 8 months old. She's getting into that bratty teenage stage. You will definitely need to be more firm and CONSISTENT! Try NILIF. (Nothing in life is free) You can google it and find great sites that explain it in much better detail than I can.

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »
I agree with all here, tho I didn't have my Saints as puppies.  I will tell you that Nakita exhibits the same naughtiness you describe when she's bored (i.e., under-exercised). And she'll be 11 in January. ::) You can imagine how committed I am to those daily walks!
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 05:55:10 pm »
Worse case scenario, you can pack her up and send her to live with me and my crew.... We'll always make room for a Newf...

I'm not going to let Jeff see that offer...He'll probably take you up on it in a second.  I am much more patient with her than he is.  He doesn't understand that dogs go through a rebellious, teenager stage just like kids.  I've tried to explain it to him and he either doesn't want to hear it or doesn't get it.  (This is where my perfect man becomes slightly less perfect)  The way he sees it - she used to listen and now she's not.  His reprimands/punishments are a little harsher than mine...we disagree on it all the time and a lot of times he blames her behavior on my not being firm enough with her.  But I think he is TOO firm.  I agree she needs to know we are the bosses, but I don't want her to be afraid of us either.

She has started her obedience classes again and I am hoping this will bring her focus back to behaving.  I know it was only one class so far, but if this is a preview of what's to come, I'm in big trouble.  She didn't do so well for her first day.  My hands were sore from her pulling and I was sweating within the first 15 minutes.  

I think I may have made a mistake though, listening to the trainers from her puppy kindergarten.  The class ended in June and they said she wasn't ready for the next class and advised I wait until the following class.  Well, I think going from June to September without formal training was a big mistake.  She has developed a lot of habits that now need to be broken.

I'm getting tired just thinking about it.

~ Stephanie

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 06:10:02 pm »
Worse case scenario, you can pack her up and send her to live with me and my crew.... We'll always make room for a Newf...

I'm not going to let Jeff see that offer...He'll probably take you up on it in a second.  /quote]

Modified because I'm a dork and haven't mastered the [reply with quote] part yet.
Awe well boo.   ;)  One thing to remember about obedience classes is the first class is usually the hardest class.  There may be new dogs, a new instructor and maybe even a new facility that is just way exciting to her.  Holding her back  from obedience class to me would be a mistake.  If she doesn't catch on as quickly as the others or as you would like her to then just start from the beginning and go back to basics.  She is only just a baby really.  8 months old is not that mature of an age at all for a dog.  I'm looking forward to the posts soon about how wonderful she is doing in her obedience class and boy won't Jeff be proud of his little big girl then?   ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 06:13:04 pm by Gracie Belle »
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 06:13:51 pm »
First I have seconds, I'll take her. The obedience should be great especially if you can get some play time at the end so she gets rewarded for working and can burn off some energy at the expence of other dogs and not you. Understand that the large breeds do develope slower mentally than the smaller ones. This will be very obvious at obedience but if Sierra is anything like Kali was, overnight she will become the star of the class.
Understand this is NORMAL puppy behavior, it may or may not be worse than what everyone else experiences but it is normal.
Your other half may be right about the discipline issue, you may not be firm enough, but he may also be to harsh. You really need to treat her as toddler in this respect and make sure you both are consistant. I noticed Kali is much more sensitive to my body language and voice than our previous dogs have been and would be curious what other's experiences have been with Newfs.

I think I'll one up the previous offer, i'll trake her while she's bad and return her when she's grown through this stage, hows that? Good luck it's trying but worth it!

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 06:16:37 pm »
Jack is 9 months old today and he's also going through a bit of a rebelious teenager thing.  Basically lately it seems like he almost never responds to a command without us repeating it or giving him a correction.  We have come to the conclusion that we can't give him the benefit of the repeat so we are just using corrections.  After all he does KNOW these commands (he he's been through puppy obedience classes and sessions with an individual trainer and LOTS of practice at home). So since he's just choosing to ignore us, so there has to be a consequence EVERY time.  He's already getting better over the last few days since we up'd our expectations and aren't letting him slide.  He had surgery recently so I think part of the problem is that we were feeling sorry for him and letting him get away with things.  NO MORE!  Back to being consistent!  

I think it's important to realize that while you feel bad for correcting them all the time and making them listen every minute, the alternative is having a dog that you are constantly mad at or annoyed with, and one that doesn't get to participate in as much of your life because they aren't well behaved enough.  I think that leaving them out, and not helping them reach their full potential is much more "mean" than teaching them how to behave properly, even if it means a lot of reprimands and corrections which make you feel "mean" along the way.

It's also really important that you and your hubby get on the same page, even if you have to compromise on what your expectations, commands, and corrections will be.  If you both aren't following the same training procedures your pup will just be confused and even less likely to listen.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 07:23:11 pm »
HAHAHAHAHAHHAH AHHAHAH!

I love it everytime you post those Sophie pics, Melissa. They're awesome.

And is that Bava in the last one? That is also a hilarious photo!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 07:57:34 pm »
Oh Sophie!!!  What did that poor plant ever do to you??  HAHA!!! 

OK.  I'm feeling better until I get home and see what she's done today.  At least I know I'm not alone.

I appreciate everyones's offers to take my girl in, but even if she's on my last nerve I can't bear to be away from her.  As I said though...Jeff may have a different opinion...  LOL!

~ Stephanie

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 12:13:40 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Bryce is 2 and he still has his moments he is a prankster he loves to chase the cat breake into the bread and so much more ! Then he will be a good boy and then he will be a bad boy hope he breaks out of the terrible 2 thing soon.
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 12:43:07 am »
OH MY! Melissa, how did I miss that picture?? That must have been soon after you brought Sophie home from Louisiana, wasn't it. I bet you were cursing my name right about then!! WOW!!

I'll pipe in on the "it's typical" response, too. Kentucky is not quite a year old (we're guessing) and she is EATING the house. Literally. She has been chewing the siding off the side of the house. We walk 'Tucky and Derby every day and play with them when we get back. I guess she gets bored when we're at work. She hasn't done it in a while, but I think that's beause I've littered the yard with knuckle bones and toys.

I just keep telling Aaron - everything is replaceable - except the dogs.

Good Luck!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline +four+leaf+clover+

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 01:58:59 am »
It's the 'evil genius' stage, I'm afraid!

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 12:24:54 pm »
If your hubby thinks you have it bad with her, point him to the board and see everyone else's stories. He'll feel blessed! LOL

Haha! Too true! These stories certainly have served my good humor on more than one occasion. ;D 

Stephanie - it helped my hubby and me to get on the same page when he heard directly from a trainer exactly what I had been telling him. Irritating (jerk! ::)), but he finally got it. And the new consistency from us made a huge difference in the dogs' behavior.
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 04:23:18 pm »
If your hubby thinks you have it bad with her, point him to the board and see everyone else's stories. He'll feel blessed! LOL

Honestly, I did show him the pics of Sophie and your former tree last night.  I just don't know if he gets it.  He had our Lab before I met him, so I don't know what he was like as a pup.  Right now, Magic is a pretty obedient dog.  We just need to keep an eye on him or he'll run off.  He responds almost instantly to "come", "go lay down", "sit" and "move".  Maybe Jeff is just used to a dog who listens and expects the same from Sierra.  I keep trying to explain that she is a teen.

Stephanie - it helped my hubby and me to get on the same page when he heard directly from a trainer exactly what I had been telling him. Irritating (jerk! ::)), but he finally got it. And the new consistency from us made a huge difference in the dogs' behavior.

He is probably coming with me to next week's class, so I'll bring it up with the trainer.  Maybe he can convince him!

~ Stephanie

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret