Author Topic: New Person - Newfoundland PUP  (Read 10472 times)

Offline MandyL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New Person - Newfoundland PUP
« on: October 03, 2007, 05:14:44 pm »
OKAY, Lots of Q's

He's 5 months old, generally good tempered but on occasion if you don't play with him when he wants he'll bark. When you shout at him to stop or ignore he'll just keep going.

He dosen't do this all the time but should I be worried is it normal Newfie behaviour even for a pup.

Q.2 We used to feed him Pedigree Puppy before my uncle (previous Newfie owner) and Vet said it wasn't great - to much salt, E no's. So we now feed him Royal Canin. Does anyone know if this is good enough for him considering Size, joint growth etc.

Thanks Guys

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: New Person - Newfoundland PUP
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 05:17:18 pm »
I myself don't have a newfie, but prepare yourself - your are about to get bombarded with all the info you need!! Oh, and btw, welcome to BPO - you're in the right place!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline MandyL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 05:18:59 pm »
Thanks  :)

I've tried a few different Forms but hopefully this is the right place.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 05:21:51 pm »
Welcome!
It sounds like your pup is just being a pup. I wouldn't shout at him when he barks...it's like barking back at him. He might think it's a game and will enjoy doing it all the time. Just ignore him and when he stops give him an awesome treat or play his favorite game. He will learn that when he is quiet he gets good stuff.

You can find plenty of great information regarding food in the "food forum" section.

And please, post some pictures! We love puppies  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 05:22:41 pm »
Just in case if you can't find food forum  ;)

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/board,193.0.html
Mary W. Crane

Offline MandyL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 05:26:06 pm »
:-) I've been wandering blindfolded. Where do I post pics can't seem to add any to my profile

Offline MandyL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 05:29:13 pm »
I'm living in the west of Ireland and finding Obedience Training is proving difficult, should I get specific for the breed or will any training do as most of the public seem to think he's a bear......Whic h I still get a laugh out of :-)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 05:29:25 pm »
:-) I've been wandering blindfolded. Where do I post pics can't seem to add any to my profile

Go to your Profile, then Forum Profile and from there you can add your own picture not bigger than 400 kb though. Otherwise, it wont work

Hurry up  :D
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 05:34:26 pm »
Gooosh, he is so adorable!!! I just want to kiss his little nose  :-*
Mary W. Crane

Offline MandyL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 05:35:05 pm »
ok here's a profile one to start with.

That was Tyke at 11.5 weeks, I was snapping mad all day and quite proud of this one.

I'll bombard the site with past and recent one's in no time :-)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 06:17:41 pm »
OKAY, Lots of Q's

He's 5 months old, generally good tempered but on occasion if you don't play with him when he wants he'll bark. When you shout at him to stop or ignore he'll just keep going.

He dosen't do this all the time but should I be worried is it normal Newfie behaviour even for a pup.

Q.2 We used to feed him Pedigree Puppy before my uncle (previous Newfie owner) and Vet said it wasn't great - to much salt, E no's. So we now feed him Royal Canin. Does anyone know if this is good enough for him considering Size, joint growth etc.

Thanks Guys

What a cute pup. Royal Canin is the only food that didn't give Tripper the runs. I'm happy with it. Tripper is a pyr. I fed the maxi adult. He's still a pup. After a lot of good advice from this site I took him off puppy. And he is thriving.

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 06:43:38 pm »
Q1. His barking behavior is his puppy phase coming through. And as you've found out, shouting at him to stop doesn't work. When we want Rosie to stop barking, we do a sort of a commanding "Sscht" sound. When she stops barking, we reward her with a treat. That method only works if he responds to the sound you make (and you have to sound commanding!). If that doesn't work, maybe he needs to be walked or exercised for a few minutes to let his energy run out.

Q2. We feed Rosie a Royal Canin veterinary diet and it's well suited for her. Others will be able to recommend other puppy-specific food that's not veterinarian-prescribed.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline MandyL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 07:30:57 pm »
Cheer for all the advice guys. I've been away from the PC as he was barking at me again. Played with him for a bit, then sat on the couch thinking I was done and I get two heavy paws on my knee's and my arm in his mouth. He tends to nip when he's been kranky but I'll assume it down to the teething, he's still got a few back one's to mature.

A pinching Newfie won't bee much fun

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 07:52:34 pm »
Oh!!  What a little cutie!!!  I remember when my big oaf was that little! 

I'm Stephanie, Mom to Sierra the Newfie, 8 months and magic the Black Lab, 7 yrs.  The rest of my zoo is in my signature.  This is a great site with great people and lots of info.

Sierra was a barker too.  She'd just stand there and bark her little head off.  I would definitely get him into obedience training before he develops bad habits.  Speaking from experience, it's harder to break a bad habit than to stop it from becoming a habit in the first place.  he'll soon be entering that age where he's going to push you to see what he can get away with.  Sierra is in that stage now and thank goodness for BPO to talk me down from my panicky ledges!  Sierra nipped until she lost her baby teeth.  She doesn't do it anymore, but she's a chewer and if she doesn't have a bone we can kiss everything goodbye that she can fit her mouth around.  She just chewed up a tub of spackle for Heaven's sake!!

Anyway, Welcome to BPO and what's taking so long for the picture bombardment?????  LOL!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline MandyL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 09:39:45 pm »
Mostly Old, have to resize the new one.