Author Topic: Shocking!  (Read 3867 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Shocking!
« on: October 25, 2007, 06:06:21 pm »
Sorry I haven't been around in a few weeks. My laptop broke and it's hard to get Aaron off World of Warcraft for me to check in.

Anyway, I have disturbing news. I hope you can help settle my mind.

Our stupid neighbor came over yesterday and said, "you've got to do something about those (colorful expletive deleted) dogs barking or I'm gonna call the cops."

Now, they don't bark A LOT. They bark when we come home, they bark when they're playing with each other, they bark at stupid neighbor's dog barking at them, they bark at the outside cat the stupid neighbor is feeding and who plays behind our yard and they bark at the occasional possum or other critter that catches their attention.

We had been working with them. Telling them "no!" when they started barking excessively and praising them when they got quiet and they had been getting better. Of course, I don't know what was going on when we weren't here.

So, Aaron went out and bought shock collars to keep them from barking.

The good news is they don't bark at all now. The bad news is Kentucky seems so depressed and nervous now and doesn't even come running to see me when I get home.

Has anyone else ever used these? I'm more than a little concerned.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Shocking!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 06:14:28 pm »
Have you tried taking the collars off and see the reaction of your dogs? Maybe they will not bark as much anymore  :-\
Poor pups  :-* I have never used those  ???
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 07:12:20 pm »
I was thinking about asking him what part of the day he really had a problem with and only putting the collars on them for that time. Like, if he was just upset about them barking at night then I'd put them on only overnight.

Actually, the cops can't do anything about it until the disturbance is after dark anyway, according to the parish code and state statutes for noise disturbances.

Derby doesn't really seem bothered too much by it, but 'Tucky is really acting strange. When I got home tonight I thought she had somehow got out of the yard because I kept calling her name and she wouldn't come to me. I couldn't see her anywhere in the yard and she finally came sauntering around the corner.

Maybe I should explain the collar better so you don't think it's horribly cruel. It uses a progressively stronger static shock every time they bark. So, if they just bark once it's barely a pin prick, but gets stronger (6 increasing strengths) with each progressive bark.

I should make Aaron put it on to see how strong it actually gets.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 07:30:20 pm »
Nice of you to volunteer him to try it out! I think the neighbor can call the cops all they want and there's nothing they can do, like you said. Dogs bark, babies cry, kids play loud, life goes on. Give the neighbor some earplugs and tell her (him?) to get over it. It's not worth your doggie's happiness. And, if the barking is bugging you guys, there are other options that might be more comfortable. Sucks when neighbors get all up in your grill like that.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 05:59:36 am »
When my mother's dog was barking a lot, her vet told her about the citronella collar where a spray of citronella, which apparantly dogs don't like, comes out when they bark. I think it would be much more gentle than the shock collar.

But I agree with what others have posted, I would ignore your neighbor's "barking" about your dogs. You know the old saying, "the bark is worse than the bite!"
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 06:40:23 am »
Well, Aaron and I had a long talk last night and we are returning the shock collars today. I'll have a talk with the neighbor and let him know about the noise ordinances and - the best news! - Aaron said we'll just bring the dogs inside at night!! Finally!!!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 11:18:48 am »
I'm really really really happy you're taking those shock collers back, and that you've reached a comprimise with your man about bringing the pups inside at night. I'm sure they're going to love hanging out with you inside at night!  ;).  I also agree with Julie about the citronella collers.  A girlfriend of mine had one for her Border Collie that barked alot.  She'd put it on him when he was most likely to do alot of barking (like when someone was at the door, or a repairman was at the house), he'd bark once or twice, get sprayed, which is really not harmfull just bad smelling to the dog, and stop barking.  They're alittle more expensive, but if you want an effective way to deal with exccessive barking that is not painful then this is the direction you want to go in I think.   ;)  Good luck with the jerky neighbor!
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 01:37:06 pm »
I'm really glad that you came up with a compromise and you get to have your pups inside with you at night.  I say use the shock collar on your obnoxious neighbor.  That way you get some peace and quiet.   ;)

Modified because I can't spell
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 01:37:53 pm by kathryn »
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 06:30:11 am »
My dogs both spend their days in a shock collar for barking since I am selling my house (you would be suprised how scared people get even when they are caged) and they spend the day in a pen in the garage.  Their barks echo in the garage and my neighbor had a fit, so I got two collars and put them on them.  I only had to turn the collar on for an hour on a day I was home and they realized what happens if they bark with the collar on.  Now the collars have no batteries and they still don't bark.

Rocco acts depressed when he first gets the collar on the morning but when I get home and let them out he plays like normal.  Maia doesn't even acknowledge the collar is on and is as sweet and crazy as ever. 

First, I tried the machine that gives a high pitched correction, those don't work.  Then I tried the collar that sprays them when they bark and those stopped the barking until something else triggered them again.  Both my dogs would bark if they hear people, noise, dogs, just about anything.  Now they take just long enough to think if they have the collar on that they forget they were going to bark.

Good luck with the neighbor.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs