Author Topic: Need Advice for better control on walks  (Read 4601 times)

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Need Advice for better control on walks
« on: November 06, 2007, 12:32:33 am »
Isis has been a dream in the house. She minds wonderfully. She is so sweet! I did find out that she doesn't walk well on a leash. :(  I tried to walk her and she literally pulled me down the street! It was scary because I had absolutely no control over her. She just has a regular collar and leash. My husband is out of town, so I probably won't try to work with her outside of the back yard until he gets home, but I feel bad that she isn't going to get to go on any walks until he gets back.

She minds me so good in the house and out in the yard. She just doesn't have any leash manners. I want to take her to training, but I am now nervous to take her out of the house. :( Any advice on what would give me better control over her on a leash?

Thanks in advance for any ideas. :)
Blessings!
Amy Lynnn
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Need Advice for better control on walks
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 05:25:02 am »
Prong collar... Great article to explain how to use it the correct way http://www.flyingdogpress.com/prong.html

From the same site..one to help you pick the right tool for your dog and you...http://www.flyingdogpress.com/equip.html
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 05:28:31 am by VdogLover »

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 06:02:44 am »
Any response with food treats....
We are currently in school with Titan... and this is what has worked for us.
Let her know you have a treat in your hand (wave in front of nose) and begin walking with the treat in your hand. Let her walk right beside you...when she is walking well (ie: not pouncing or lunging everywhere) give her a small food treat. Continue walking. Do the same thing over and over again give her praise everytime she does it right. ALWAYS have a treat in your hand. Just do it in small doeses....4 steps treat...4 more steps treat. And so on. We had the opposite with Titan we would not move off the driveway...now we barley use treats on walks and (for the most part) he stays by our side. He is still a puppy so sniffing everything is a must. Eventually you will not need treats you just wean them out of the walk. Maybe this will help!
Good luck...PS she is beautiful!

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 06:17:51 am »
I would definitely second the idea of taking a training class with her to help leash manners. When Tipper and I were in training I used a wooden spoon with peanut butter on it and held it where he needed to be walking beside me and that helped him with learning leash manners.

Tipper has historically been a puller and the leash that has worked best for us is a Larz leash--it can be found at www.larzpetgea r.com. They make the leash specifically for your dog's weight and pulling style, and their leashes are designed not to inflict injury on the dog's spine and neck.   
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 06:21:41 am »
Tipper has historically been a puller and the leash that has worked best for us is a Larz leash--it can be found at www.larzpetgea r.com. They make the leash specifically for your dog's weight and pulling style, and their leashes are designed not to inflict injury on the dog's spine and neck.   

I would love to check out their products but they are closed to new orders.

***The store is currently offline. Please visit again soon.
We are not taking anymore new orders until we have caught up with the orders we already have. We are sorry to report that people and their dogs have overwhelmed our production capacities.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 06:22:31 am by VdogLover »

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 06:26:43 am »

I would love to check out their products but they are closed to new orders.

***The store is currently offline. Please visit again soon.
We are not taking anymore new orders until we have caught up with the orders we already have. We are sorry to report that people and their dogs have overwhelmed our production capacities.

If you contact them directly via email they may still take your order. That's what they did with me.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 07:48:36 am »
Naja and I use the Gentle Leader on our walks in town.  It's worked wonders for pulling and also for shovelling.  She has a tendancy to keep her nose to the ground looking for discusting tasty treats for her to eat, so I tell her "nose up", give a gentle tug upwards on the GL and give her a treat when she listens with lots of praise.

Now mind you when we first started using the GL she hated it!  She'd lay down or start bucking wildly and trying to scratch it off.  Now she doesn't mind it at all, and better yet, she knows that when it's on, we usually go someplace fun!  :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 08:57:55 am »
i'm so glad this was posted today.  ranger got inspired to act all wonky yesterday on the leash. however, i know that this is more than likely my fault.  i took a tumble down some stairs and haven't walked the guy in several days.

Offline +four+leaf+clover+

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 08:31:41 pm »
Just use a check chain with your current leash.  It's a big link chain collar that loops through itself so you can jerk the leash when the dog pulls and it momentarily tightens - which the dog doesn't like, but it doesn't hurt it or anything.  You can buy them anywhere, they don't cost much, and they are effective.

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 03:03:02 am »
WOW!!! Thank you all so much for your great advice! What a blessing to have such a great place to come for advice and support. :) Thanks so much!

Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 05:08:06 am »
Search the internet for loose leash walking.  There are many articles available which provide information about teaching a dog to walk on a loose leash using a clicker.