Author Topic: Thinking about relocating.  (Read 6655 times)

lins_saving_grace

Thinking about relocating.
« on: November 27, 2007, 10:03:50 pm »
the thought occured to me today that nothing is keeping me here in Michigan. 
I hate the snow and cold, but i hate the heat and humidity. 
I was thinking...Ten nesse or Georgia.  maybe. 

any ideas...any thoughts about how the job market is in your area?

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about relocating.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 10:09:37 pm »
I have a friend who just moved to TN and she loves it.  It does still get hot and humid there and in some places you will still have snow, but not what you are used to probably!!!  My aunt also lives in TN and she loves it too, but you have to really look into where, as with any state!!  My aunt lives in a very small town with very little economy and the big cities, well TRAFFIC!!  I've thought about TN myself but I really hate ANY snow so I'd have to do a weather research!!!  Don't know much about north GA, which is probably where you would want to look cause of weather!  Again it is still hot and humid!  Good luck
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 10:26:52 pm »
Look into northernish Alabama also. The job market is booming (thats where many of the auto jobs went from Mi), cheap taxes, great weather, cheap housing...

Not a groomer by chance are you?

My friend (moved there from MI a year ago) owns a grooming shop in Hayden AL. and is looking to hire another groomer since she has more clients then she can handle and is in the processes of expaning to offer boarding as well.
My husband and I have already been doing some research on the area since like you we can no longer stand it here.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 10:39:48 pm »
Don't come to Maryland!!! It is hot and humid in the summer  :P I hate it!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 11:12:01 pm »
Look into northernish Alabama also. The job market is booming (thats where many of the auto jobs went from Mi), cheap taxes, great weather, cheap housing...

Not a groomer by chance are you?

My friend (moved there from MI a year ago) owns a grooming shop in Hayden AL. and is looking to hire another groomer since she has more clients then she can handle and is in the processes of expaning to offer boarding as well.
My husband and I have already been doing some research on the area since like you we can no longer stand it here.

not a groomer no...but a dog job would be righteous!!!  you live in MI too...our economy has gone to pot.   i'll look into Alabama

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 11:12:24 pm »
Don't come to Maryland!!! It is hot and humid in the summer  :P I hate it!!!
Maryland is gorgeous though.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 11:13:15 pm »
This is a pretty neat site to check out, Lyn.  It lets you know the median salaries and such for states.  I know it can vary drastically from one part of the state to the next, but it gives you a good starting point.

http://www.odinjobs.com/US_job_market_overview.html
a start is good...thanks Jenn.  i'll look at this tonight. i'm just itchy and anxious and frustrated.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 11:27:43 pm »
Hmmmm. Can I come with you wherever you go!? hahaha

P.S. I've lived in Canada for a year and a half....and let me just tell you....those customs people really don't want us (us meaning people from countries other than canada) to move there.  :( Such a long, grueling process. And I loved it there >:(
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 11:28:37 pm »
You could defect to Canada!  I would harbour you and Grace in a heartbeat!
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 12:38:32 am »
You could defect to Canada!  I would harbour you and Grace in a heartbeat!
that would be so cool.
i just started thinking this morning. i'm so homesick for that southern pace and that southern way.  if for nothing else but to make a change.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 02:11:19 am »
Well, I would say come to California, except that the cost of living here is so horrendous that I really couldn't recommend living here to anyone who isn't already here (and most of us aren't even making it all that well).  Plus, stuff burns here.   >:(

Lin, I wish I had known you when I lived in MI.  I hated the heat and humidity, and LOVED the snow and cold. 

Canada sounds good.  But so does Alabama.
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 02:23:20 am »
Well I would say that FL is in the south but heat and humidity year round eliminate my home state from the start!

I lived in Augusta for just over a year and LOVED it. It could get a little humid and we did get a little bit of snow but it was great.
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Nicole

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 02:28:02 am »
Chapel Hill, NC!

Great jobs, awesome college town, good food. It does get hot and humid in the summer, but winters aren't too bad.

I loved living in Chapel Hill.

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 03:57:27 am »
Ooooh!  Come to Florida!!  Oh, wait, you don't like humidity.  Never mind. 

Seriously, though, in the south, you'll typically get less humidity (or less effect from it) near the coast.  We are in the middle of the state and it gets unbelievably humid here.  I like it, but most people don't. 

Serious? You like the humidity?? Move near Tampa Bay. You'd be in heaven. Actually I'll trade homes! You're closer to Port Canaveral and my family! HEHE
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 07:14:06 am »
I agree with Marci.I LOVE California because you can go surfing & snowboarding all winter long. I can't imagine not living here but it is sooooo outrageously expensive unless you live in a town in the middle of nowhere.  ;D I'd say go somewhere where there is a lot of single guys and dog friendly parks.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 07:15:08 am by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.