Author Topic: problems w/ my bully  (Read 5695 times)

Offline wellsytumn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
problems w/ my bully
« on: November 30, 2007, 09:51:50 pm »
I am new at this... Kobe, my bulldog, is 1 1/2 years old.  He is extremely hyper!  Even with the right amount of excersize, play, and socializing, he refuses to slow down.  The vet said he may have been taken from his mother too soon and doesn't know when to stop.  However, I am 5 months pregnant.  I now have to decide if giving him up is the best thing for him.  I am high risk pregnancy and am unable to do the daily walks with him.  This is causing him to become EXTRA crazy.  He has started acting out by eating my wallpaper off the wall and having accidents in the house every day.  I don't want to let him go, It would kill me.  I have 4 months to get him disciplined and calm before the baby gets here.  I live by myself so really there is no help with him.  Any suggestions?!! 

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: problems w/ my bully
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 06:56:56 am »
Do you have any friends that have high energy pups that he can play with?  I used to take my dog out on play dates with some friends dogs.  We would go to different parks each weekend or whenever we could get together. 

I second all the other ideas that Julie gave you.  You can also teach "find it" and hide toys and treats around the house. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 05:13:33 pm »
I third all the ideas you have been given.  My son and his wife have 2 bull dog mixes that they got as puppies from our local animal control.  At 5 they have calmed down tremendously, but they are still racing around the yard and very active when they play with each other or get excited.  He has an 8 y/o son, 2.5 y/o son and a daughter on the way.  The dogs have never hurt or marked his children, even though they were nothing but bundles of energy when he got them.  Their cats have scratched them when playing, but never the dogs.  Do you have a local dog park?  Playing is a great way to burn off energy.  Bulldogs are the most incredible dogs with children, even small ones.  They are very patient and tolerate most anything.  When the 2.5 y/o was an infant, they could lay him on a blanket in the yard and tell the dogs to watch (when they were outside doing yardwork or cleaning the pool, etc.  He wasn't left alone outside.).  One would lay on each side of him, cuddled up so he couldn't roll around and stay until they came back to get him. They are great nanny dogs.  Good luck and congrats on the new addition coming.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 06:08:39 pm »
When I was pregnant with my twins, I utilized doggie day care for Tipper. He is a high energy dog and daycare helped me out so much. I sent him twice a week toward the end of my pregnany when I was less mobile and it was great. He would go early in the morning and come home at the end of the day exhausted. Even the next day he was still tired, so I always felt like I got 2 days out of each visit. A tired dog is a good dog!  ;)

I also think the idea of mental stimulation and hiring a dog walker are great ideas, even maybe a high school kid who wants to make some extra money.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline brooklily

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 04:56:33 pm »
hi, I hope my reply doesnt come to late. I adopted the most active bulldog i have ever met.She is 2 1/2 and arrived with some real attention issues.Here is what works for her

1.a long walk EVERY day. I know you said this is impossible for you right now, so,maybe a family member, friend, kid next door,or someone you know on a diet who needs a walking partner. I know it sounds funny but its always more fun to walk with someone.

2. Training. mine gets actually exhusted from the mental stimulation after half an hour. it neednt be a workout  for you. ( sit , stay , come , down, drop it)

3.Playtime with other dogs, several times a week.( you can bring a chair) Hyper dogs also though, so they will enjoy eachother. There are so many people out there just waiting to make thier dog tired too :}. Seek them out when they are walking thier dog.We take turns going to each others fenced in yards. If that is not available to you find a gated tennis court or basketball court.

4.Rawhide bones. They are something to do and great fun for the strong jawed bully.  Just keep an eye cause they rip them apart easily and you have to throw away smaller pieces. 

5.Take training to a new level, by teaching your bully funny tricks, Again, not physically demanding for you, but tiring for the stubborn bulldog. Mine jumps through a hoop and seeing a bulldog do it is hysterical.

I highly suggest profesional training since there will be a baby soon.  good luck and dont give up   sincerly Brooklily's mum
She is not naughty, she is fun!
Brooklily 2 1/2    bulldog mix