Author Topic: Toning down excitedness - any suggestions?  (Read 7298 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Toning down excitedness - any suggestions?
« on: January 11, 2008, 05:44:25 pm »
Sierra will be a year old this month and she's getting big.  I realize she's still quite young, but she just seems to get SO excited when she meets someone.  She's not an overly excitable dog, it's just that she is so happy to be meeting someone, she can't control herself.  She wags her tail so hard her whole body moves back and forth, she won't sit still, she licks like crazy and leans against you.  I LOVE that she is a friendly dog.  From the moment we decided to get her, I wanted to use her as a therapy dog, if nothing else.  She is nowhere near ready for something like that simply because of her excessive happiness to see people.  On one hand it is a perfect trait for a therapy dog and yet, it is really bad.  I am having visions of her knocking old ladies in walkers right off their feet.  I would also like to have her compete in obedience.  I think she would do fairly well, until we get to the figure 8.  She can focus on me as long as people are far enough away, but all bets are off if two people are standing that close for the figure 8.  I've tried practicing attention exercises, I've tried exercise to tire her out.  I don't want to reprimand too often because I don't want her to think she is wrong by her being friendly.  I also don't want to wait too long before starting any of the plans I have for her.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do to get her to calm down a little or teach her to control herself??
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

marypyrs

Re: Toning down excitedness - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 06:33:42 pm »
Training classes have been nothing but WONDERFUL! (For the Pups AND for me! ;)) Sierra's still a baby. A fantastic baby at that. With her great and gentle personality I think she'll be a terrific therapy dog. I don't know what area you live in, but where I am there are two great facilities. I swear by the one I've been involved with. (although they both have excellant reviews)

Sierra's such a sweet and loving girl. I think she's destined to have a Therapy Future.  :-*  :D  :-*

Don't forget that one year old is VERY young. It's also amazing that when they're put face to face with a little one or an elder they seem to know - and react therefore.

OHHHHH! You're going to have so much fun and gratification and tenderness! Take pics and keep logs!

We had a class start a couple of days ago. Another one will be starting in April.

Beware! Once you start and get involved it becomes almost an addiction. ;)  :D And a GREAT ONE at that!  ;D

She'll be fine. She'll be great. She's just a Baby now 'ya know.  :-*

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:24:52 pm »
It's also amazing that when they're put face to face with a little one or an elder they seem to know - and react therefore.

I don't know if my sweet little Doofus has that instinct.  Jeff's parents are in there 70's and she doesn't seem to react accordingly with them... :-\  Jeff's dad hates her and her over-zealous greetings are one of the reasons why.

I've always wanted a therapy dog and maybe I'm so anxious for her to behave more is because I am sick of hearing my FIL and my stepson commenting how she's stupid and will never be able to do the things I want to do with her because she doesn't listen.  I avoid talking about her because I'm sick of wasting my breath and defending her when they don't care to hear me.

Hmmm... **light bulb flashing** I think I have suddenly gotten to the underlying issue of my frustration  :)  Maybe it has nothing to do with me wanting to get her working ASAP because I'm afraid of waiting to long.  Maybe I want to get her working ASAP just to prove my FIL wrong and show him she is not a bad dog.  I think I just love Sierra so much and it really bugs me when people seem to dislike her for no reason.  And my FIL has NEVER given me a good reason.

Maybe I just need to have faith in my dog and have a little patience...

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 07:52:42 pm »
There 'ya go now Sweetheart!  ;) You already know the answer. It's not you and it's not your Sweet Sierra Babe. You'll both be just fine. Great in fact. Don't let anyone "take you down."

BTW - I'm an "Old Codjer" myself in years. But not in life and enjoyment thereof.  You'll never be able to please everyone. Not even if they're your IL's. Put that aside and get on with it. OK?

Ignore the negative and go forward. I can't wait to hear of all her adventures. It's all going to fall into place. Trust me.  :-*

Jane. Rain, & Mr. Whisper

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 07:53:37 pm »
Now who could ever say BPO therapy doesn't work?!   ;) :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 07:56:54 pm »
It has been my experience that you just have to wait it out. She will calm down eventually when she starts to mature. If you keep working on the sits to greet people and going to many different places and having the bestest most irresistible treats she'll get there.  I have a 14 month old who is the most lovable guy and greets you like you've been gone for days when it's only been 2 minutes. I consider myself so lucky to have him.   ;D 

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 08:03:53 pm »
I feel your pain. Bubba is my over enthusiastic greeter and he's almost 3. With Bubba it starts out with the full body wiggle and stomping his front feet. Then progresses to the push and lean. He's not a jumper, thank god. But has pinned people up against the walls, counters and the fridge, just leaning against them for attention.

When my SIL brings over her 6 month old twins he's almost like a different dog. As soon as they walk in the door and he sees the car seats he instantly settles down. The elderly are another story. :( As long as your over a certain height your fair game to him. :( I've had to resort to putting him in another room until he calms down. It seems to just be the initial greeting because he's fine after that.

Most of my family don't like his spastic greetings and I can expect to hear the usual. "Why would you want a dog like that?" "He really shouldn't be in the house, he too big" I usually say BLAH BLAH BLAH.. LOL They really love that. :D

When he was at his worst putting him on leash worked the best. This way he could see everyone but couldn't tackle them. It was a good time to practice keeping his attention since he was so distracted. Thanks to my miserable family, I taught him down/stay. LOL

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 02:23:45 am »
Now who could ever say BPO therapy doesn't work?!   ;) :D

HAHA!  BPO therapy is the best therapy.  I ALWAYS feel better after you guys talk me down from yet another ledge.

Like Bubba, she also calms down afer a few minutes.  And my FIL says the same things about her size and her being in the house.  I know I'm complaining about my FIL, but don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Jeff's parents.  I feel blessed to be so close to them.  But his dad and I don't agree on this and not only he is very vocal about his opinions, but he doesn't always say it in a tactful way.  I can't get him to understand that just because she is 80 lbs doesn't mean she is an adult.  I can try to explain her slower growth and maturity til I'm blue in the face, but he just sees her size and expects her to behave like a trained adult dog.

And the fact that she is obeying more than she was just two months ago doesn't seem to make a difference.  She comes when I call her now (most of the time  :)).  Granted it's because she knows I have a treat for her, but at least she comes when I call now.  If I have to have a pocketful of treats every day for the rest of her life, so be it.  As long as she comes to me.

I think that has gone a long way in showing Jeff that maybe my way of training her works, he doesn't necessarily believe in the "bribing the dog with treats method".  But she used to only come for him - after several calls.  Now she comes to me after only one call.  And yes, I do get some satisfaction out of seeing him bring treats when he goes to call her.  LOL!  But he doesn't need to know that. ;)

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline ratdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 04:30:06 am »
Cody will be 15 weeks old this Monday. I know she is a lot younger than your sweetie but I face the same thing ... she goes berzerk when someone comes to the house. And not just for the greeting, either. In fact, she just goes berzerk for the fun of it. When I take her outside I let her run and run. When people come over she is definitely on a leash and I am trying to control her actions by giving her the sit command. Does it work? Weeellll, not exactly. But we are working on it. Once in a while she will respond. People are usually impressed, me most of all :^)

Just like the peeing and pooping, I believe she will grow out of it. We start baby kindergarten in a week. I'm looking forward to that a lot. And I, too, want to go the obedience competition route if I can afford it.

I'm sure your baby will "get it". Don't even listen to someone who disses your pup. They are the ones who are totally missing out on a great thing. And keep dreaming. I'm sure your dreams will come true for you and your pup.  ;)
Best friends forever:
Tal, my cat, 1990-2007
Ratdog, my dog, 1992-2004

My new love:
Cody

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 02:37:18 pm »
The others are right, Sierra is still VERY MUCH a baby.  Bodhi is almost 19 months old, and still a baby.  He is getting calmer as he gets older, and is much better now than he was at 12 months.....but he still has a hard time paying attention when he is excited or out in the yard snuffling around, and still likes to Newfie Mash people into the wall when he meets them.  I'm just thankful he doesn't jump up on them, lol!  I get a little irritated when he is out in the yard at 11 p.m. and it is raining and he doesn't want to come in, but we are making progress on it. 

As for your FIL.....I think some people just don't understand dogs.  They expect too much of them.  My husband and his family are like that.  It irks me to no end.  As much as I hate to hear "It's just a DOG!" when it comes to quality of life....the saying does have some merit when it comes to expectations.  Maybe you should ask your FIL what I ask my husband and his family:

If you had to live with a different species that ruled your life....if you had to beg them for everything, to eat, to go to the bathroom, etc.....if they spoke in a language you had only limited understanding of....if all you had to guide you were your instincts but this different species often expected you to behave in ways that went completely against those instincts...ho w well do you think YOU would do????

I mean, Sheesh....dogs don't understand that they drool, much less that people don't like it on their clothing.  They don't understand that when they get happy and wag that appendage on their butt it can knock things over.  They don't understand that digging in the yard and getting muddy paws is anything but fun, because they don't understand carpet cleaning.  But in spite of all the confusing things they experience on a regular basis, they always try their very best.  They never resent us for expecting so much from them.  They are consistently patient and loving and happy.  I don't know ANY human that could do that.  My 16 year old stepson could learn alot from the dogs, lol....
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 06:23:18 pm »
Oh Shine.  That response is perfect.  All of my dogs have eventually grown out of that excited phase of life.  Max is still working on it at 1.5, but Jake has calmed down completely.  It will happen in time.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 06:52:48 pm »
**Applause**  ;D  ;D  ;D 
Shine, I've said my own version of that many times over the years to impatient people, but I've never said it even 1/2 as well as you just did.  Fannntastic!  ;D  :-*  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 10:39:08 pm »
W O W  very well said, shine!  You even reminde
 me of some things!  I'm grateful mine hates water and cold!  As far as excitement, Odin self-soothes with his softie.  We started when he was a puppy (when I brought him home, I had a tedde bear and blankey with me).  He graduated from puppy kinder but had issues w/ exciteability and control (not to mention foaming at the mouth) with treat training.  Anyway, we, over time, got him used to a softie and now at almost 3, he picks up his softie and paces until he can calm himself down and THEN greets the individual.  Only exception is when my landlord tried to enter the house with his own key.  As innocent as his entry, my PUPPY almost sent this man out on a stretcher!
Softies worked for our spazz boy but maybe not for others. 
karma is kewl!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 07:30:47 pm »
Shine, that is the most perfect point ever.  I completely understand and agree with you whole-heartedly.  Your response just confirms again that I am going about things the right way when it comes to Sierra and my being patient with her.  It would just be a whole lot easier if the others understood that too.  Whenever I try to point out how much progress she has made with certain things, they just point out other things that she is still doing wrong.  It's just best to avoid bringing her up in front of certain people.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 03:15:12 pm »
Omg, sierra's mommy......u should never avoid anything that is good for your soul!  sierra is your baby and brings something special to your being and that affects others positively!  I would hope you never avoid talking about your little girl-its not like she is 'politics or religion'.  she is a family member......an d not like the one we hate to discuss either.  Screw the others if they are so negative.  Obviously, if you had the PERFECT animal, they would be critical.  My father berates my animal choice, behind my back to my family, because he is IGNORANT and CHOOSES a CLOSED MIND.  He had a people hating cat (blue persian creature) for 19 years-this cat had a room stenciled in cat paws, huge professionally framed pictures of HERSELF, a window with bird feeders outside and very expensive shearling throws throughout the house...she drank out of his morning coffee and his evening scotch n water and had her very own gallon of premium vanilla bean icecream in the freezer.  My choices and methods will, in his eyes, never be good enuf.....so screw him!  odie makes me happy and if that means 200lbs of paw steppin on my toe or his violent tail greeting guests (w/ appropriate warning) in the 'member'....so be it.  U cant make these people happy or accepting because they NEED your compliance to better their position.  Dont give it to them....that is YOUR baby who needs your patience n love.  My guess is u wouldnt expect a 12 mo old baby to potty train itself (btw, kids are much tougher....ive birthed FIVE).
karma is kewl!