Author Topic: Foreclosures lead to abandoned animals  (Read 2056 times)

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Foreclosures lead to abandoned animals
« on: February 01, 2008, 11:54:24 am »

In The News - Nation/World

Foreclosures lead to abandoned animals
1/29/2008
By EVELYN NIEVES
Associated Press Writer

STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) – The house was ravaged – its floors ripped, walls busted and lights smashed by owners who trashed their home before a bank foreclosed on it. Hidden in the wreckage was an abandoned member of the family: a starving pit bull.

The dog found by workers was too far gone to save – another example of how pets are becoming the newest victims of the nation's mortgage crisis as homeowners leave animals behind when they can no longer afford their property.

Pets ''are getting dumped all over,'' said Traci Jennings, president of the Humane Society of Stanislaus County in northern California. ''Farmers are finding dogs dumped on their grazing grounds, while house cats are showing up in wild cat colonies.''

In one such colony in Modesto, two obviously tame cats watched alone from a distance as a group of feral cats devoured a pile of dry food Jennings offered.

''These are obviously abandoned cats,'' Jennings said. ''They're not afraid of people, and they stay away from the feral cats because they're ostracized by them.''

The abandoned pets are overwhelming animal shelters and drawing fury from bloggers, especially as photos of emaciated animals circulate on the Internet.

The first people to enter an abandoned house, such as property inspectors and real estate brokers, have discovered dogs tied to trees in backyards, cats in garages, and turtles, rabbits and lizards in children's bedrooms.

No one keeps track of the numbers of abandoned pets, but anecdotal evidence suggests that forsaken animals are becoming a problem wherever foreclosures are climbing. Stockton and Modesto have some of the nation's highest foreclosure rates.

Despite months of warning before a foreclosure, many desperate homeowners run out the clock hoping to forestall an eviction. Then they panic, particularly if they are moving to a home where pets are not permitted.

The situation has become so widespread that the Humane Society urged home owners faced with foreclosure to take their animals to a shelter.

Shelters are trying to keep up, but the spike in abandoned pets comes at a time when fewer people are adopting animals. Home sales are plunging to their lowest level in decades, and new homeowners are often the most likely to seek a pet.

Even people who are buying homes are not adopting pets.

''People are not bringing home puppies because times are tough, and animals cost money,'' said Sharon Silbert, president of Animal Rescue of Tracy, a community near Stockton.

The mortgage crisis showed few signs of easing Tuesday after a real estate tracking company announced that many homeowners started to fall behind on mortgage payments in the last three months, setting the stage for more foreclosures this year.

The San Joaquin Animal Shelter in Stockton is fielding more desperate calls from animal owners about to be evicted. Many call as a last resort after being turned down by various rescue groups with no room for more animals.

''They're usually breaking down on the phone,'' said Kathy Potter, a shelter dispatcher. ''I'm quite direct with them that there's a 50-50 chance the animals might be put down.''

Still, shelter operators say, half a chance is better than none.

''They may be euthanized at a shelter,'' said Stephanie Shain of the Humane Society of the United States. ''But they'll be fed and have water and have a humane euthanization, as opposed to spending the last days of their lives eating carpet or wallboard.''

Bloggers are furious with the ''foreclosure pet'' phenomenon, especially after seeing photos of emaciated animals on the Internet. Some critics say the pet owners have already proved they are irresponsible by buying houses they could not afford or mortgages they did not bother to understand.

''They see a pet as property, no different than a worn sofa tossed into the alley when the springs pop,'' says a posting about foreclosure pets on About.com.

The problem is exacerbated because most people grappling with foreclosure are returning to rental housing or moving in with relatives – two situations where it can be difficult or impossible to bring pets.

''What we've always known is that when times are hard for people, they're hard for their pets,'' said Stephen Zawistowski, a vice president at the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Abandoning animals is illegal in most states under anti-cruelty laws, but the laws are not rigidly enforced.

In Stockton, shelter workers recently reunited a family with two rottweilers they had left behind in their foreclosed house. The family was staying in a homeless shelter, the dogs being cared for by neighbors at the family's behest. Shelter workers were able to find housing for the family and their dogs.

But happy endings elude a majority of foreclosure animals.

''Their best shot is for the owners to plan ahead some,'' Jennings said. ''But they didn't plan when they bought their house. I don't see that happening anytime soon.''

Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:55:41 am by marinafb »
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Jenxt

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Foreclosures lead to abandoned animals
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 07:25:02 pm »
This is just sad. It takes minutes to take animals to a shelter instead of leaving them to die. Not that just dumping them is the answer, but at leaset it gives them a chance.  :-\
Proud Mom of:
Freedom - 70 pounds of lovable Australian Shepard, Golden Retriever, Black Lab Mix.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 09:22:55 pm »
A bit off-topic, but Merrill Lynch is being investigated for fraud over their sub-primes. 

If any home owners here are looking at a foreclosure, or knows someone on the brink of losing a job, find out if they can get a home-equity loan before they get so far in the hole that they won't qualify.  There are loans out there that incur no charges until and unless the money gets used. 

There are a few indicators of recession that I learned about in school.  One is a sharp decline in fast food sales since that is one of the first expenses that gets cut when times get difficult.  McDonalds stock dropped 8% last month after a report surfaced stating their growth was the flattest it had been in the past six years.

Another is less scientific.  Go to the mall and compare the amount of people carrying a purchase compared to those who aren't.  At my mall I'd guess 50% fewer people are carring purchases compared to this time last year.

Someone needs to set up a national foreclosure foster system.  All those nice people who took in Katrina fosters might go for another.  Our Katrina foster needed to be an only child and got rehomed after a year of training here.

The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 03:19:38 am »
My husband is a Realtor, so we are painfully aware of how bad the housing situation is....things are VERY tight for us these days.  But I can't help it....this irks me to no living end.  There is no way I could ever abandon my animals.  I would go to the ends of the Earth to find a place that would take my pets or get relatives to take them or pitch a tent in the woods to stay with them if I had to.  It's hard for me to feel sorry for people who leave a family member to starve and die alone. 
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 03:48:11 am »
I have to agree with Shine.  How many people are putting their children up for adoption, because they lost their home?  That is how I feel about my animals, if not more so than my children.  My children grew up and moved out to live their own lives.  They can now do all the things they wanted to that I never let them do at home.  My animals will never get that chance.  They are going to be with me, living by my rules, until the day they die, or I do.  How could you possibly leave them behind to starve always hoping you were going to come back for them, not knowing the love they have for you is not returned or warranted?  Sorry.  I feel very strongly about this.  I know how hard it was for me as a single mom to find the money to provide shelter, food and clothing for my kids.  There were many nights I didn't eat, because we didn't have enough.  There were birthdays when they got a hairbrush or a new toothbrush and toothpaste, because they had to have it anyway and there was no extra money.  Most of their clothing and all of mine came from Goodwill or the Salvation Army, because that is all I could afford.  I would have never considered giving them up and I won't do that to my pets.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 04:05:51 am »
This has been all over the media in MSP the last couple of weeks.  There was a feature in the paper as well as News stories on several local stations.  I agree with the previouse sentiments that is absolutely hideouse to abondon any animal regardless of your financial situation.  I am not a fan of the cavalier attitude  "I can just take him/her to a shelter either but at least that is humane.  When I got out of college I went through some lean years and my Bull Mastiff Mojo and I endured them together. 
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 10:25:11 pm »
Well i don't even understand how the home owners will damage the houses before they move out but to leave there pet behind to slowly die????? You must be out of your mind i have a friend and the people next door moved out and left the dog behind they rescued it and took him to the SPCA the people came back a month later and wanted to know where the dog was they told them and they threaten to sue them. You think the dog would still be living a month later if it was'nt taken to the SPCA? Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats