Author Topic: Bell is having skin allergies  (Read 1089 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Bell is having skin allergies
« on: February 02, 2008, 02:45:41 am »
ok we live in a very small town (3 red lights and two resturants).  We have always fed our dogs very great food but then had to switch to por plan which is still a good food.  But then we couldnt find it anymore so we had to switch to Iams. 

Our dogs have been on it for 3 weeks and our wiem Bell, her skin and fur look horrible.  Alot of her hair has fallen out on the sides and when you pet her it comes out even worse.  It has just become really bad this morning.

My husband goes out of town for work and whenever he goes by a petsmart or any other pet store he immediatley would buy bags of food but he hasnt had to go out of town for about 3 months and we need to change foods fast. 

Does anyone know of great foods that you can have shipped or anything that you can make yourself.  I was looking things up online and I have seen alot about the RAW diet.  Didnt know if anyone knew anything about it. 
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Bell is having skin allergies
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 03:57:20 am »
I am in the process of finishing up the kibble I have on hand, in order to switch my boys over to raw, in about a week now.  There are tons of websites dedicated to raw feeding.  They vary from advocating meat, bones, veggies, fruits and a dozen different supplements all together or in varying combinations.  Read through some of them and then make your decision on what is right for  you and your dogs, with input from your vet, if you trust them.  Max and Cody have severe allergies, Jake has recurring ear infections.  I am hoping that the new diet will at least help with some of this, but even if it doesn't, I truly believe it will be better for them.  Look at the bag of food, if you have it, or go online and compare the ingredients in what you were feeding to what you are feeding now.  You should be able to spot some ingredient differences.  It is very possible that there is something in the new food that she is allergic to.  Lots of dogs are allergic to soy, dairy, beef, chicken, wheat, corn, etc.  This should help in determining what caused the problem.  By changing to a food that doesn't have whatever the ingredient is, it should clear up.  You can also search online for the dog food you want to feed them and then search for retailers or online distributors.  Amazon.com and a ton of other websites sell dog food.  Good luck in your decision on either buying online or changing over to raw.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Bell is having skin allergies
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 04:02:08 am »
Kathy,
I am looking to add more raw items to Kana's diet as well.  Do you have any trusty websites off hand?  My husband is very hesitant to do this because it is foreign to us.  I'd like to show him the benefits, cost comparison and such in order to convince him it's okay. 
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita